Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to debadge my truck, but I'm concerned about how much the paint may have faded. Has anyone debadged a 5 year old Tundra? If so, was the paint under the emblems significantly darker? I did a truck I used to own and it was very noticeable even after waxing multiple times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I stripped all the badges off my 2006 Tundra when I bought it in October. There were no visible differences in the paint underneath. Then, just yesterday, I peeled off my TRD stickers and the paint under them was fine too.

I say go for it!

PS. My truck is black

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently took the SR5 badges off the back doors of my 05 Double Cab and the paint is no different, but in the right light you can see the outline of the SR5. If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't be able to tell. I'm happy with the way it looks. Gonna try some rubbing compound and then some wax and see if that will clean it up anymore. My truck is Salsa Red.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How do you De-Badge without scratching or pulling up the paint? I've been interested in this and always wondered how difficult it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always just used a heat gun (on low setting), goo gone and some fishing string to remove my badges depending how much the car/truck has been in the sun and how well the paint is taken care of and also how the badges are attached determines how well the final outcome looks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Heat gun or blow dryer, heat up and easily peel off.

I did mine as soon as I got the truck back in 2004. I notice every car/truck that has been de-badged, they all look so much better.

Really, when it comes down to it, no one is going to give 2 shyt's about whether they see any fading or anything like that, no one really cares at all. Harsh but true.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
As others have said use a heat gun....then also use the heat gun on the residue and or roll it off w/ your finger. Word to the wise dont rub too hard, I learned the hard way and had HUGH blisters on two of my finger tips. You can also use a rubber eraser.....

Once you have it all off get some rubbing compound and get it off then wax etc. If theres a little ghosting it will go away over several weeks / months thanks to the sun. :) Good luck....take it slow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didn't use a heat gun, just some fishing line. Took everything off except the 'Limited' badges.

Take your time. Careful you don't cut your fingers!

After I rolled up the residue, I wiped the odd bit left with a paper towel with some WD-40 on it.

My White '05 was 4 years old at the time, and there is no difference in the paint.

Although the rest of the truck looks like hell, because the paint is failing. Apparently that is a problem with the White trucks.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Now I just have to wait for warmer weather so I can do it.:tu:

your in montana, a state not know for its strong uv rays. if the truck has been up there the whole time, and its been waxed (uv protected) regularly, you will not have any fading issues.
I wasn't too worried, but the truck came from Arizona so I wanted to hear some first hand experience.

Really, when it comes down to it, no one is going to give 2 shyt's about whether they see any fading or anything like that, no one really cares at all. Harsh but true.
I don't give 2 pinches of sh!t about what other people think, but small details like that bug the hell out of me. If there was fading, it would be the only thing I saw when I looked at the truck.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the decals but it was a pain in the [email protected]@s at the end I ended up sanding the entire truck... and painting it with some cheap rustoleum paint for farm equipment, sofar 2 yrs after paint job and still looks decent for a garage gig... and not to metion 19yrs old truck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts