Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you debadge your vehicle?

I think the look is really cool without all that advertising clutter.:ts:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The best way I've found to do this without micromarring the clearcoat is to use waxed dental floss. Just work it back and forth behind the badge and it should fall right off. You may need something like Acrysol or Goof-Off to clean up any remaining glue, but the floss should get just about all of it.

Hope that helps,

Mark

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thats how ive done all mine, like 20lb test fishing line or floss plus some 3m adhesive remover. I havent had much luck w/ the Goo Gone stuff, could just be me though.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Monofilament line is smooth but the friction could cause some light marring to the area. Be careful if you choose that route and go very lightly. Then be sure to re-wax the area once youre finished, especially if you use a remover like the few we listed.

Mark

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Very timely thread as I was just planning to debadge my new 07 Tundra tonight. I don't like the placement of the badges on the side: engine level, bottom of front door, top of rear door. This seems very odd, almost random, and does not present a clean appearance. I am going to try the dental floss tip now and hopefully this will save me a lot of hassle and damage.

I also plan to rebadge the vehicle with my own custom lettering. I plan to add several larger "Toyota Coyote" badges with a few smaller "Wile E." badges and some simple vinyl character logos to accent. I figured there would be dozens of sites selling the 3D self-adhesive chrome letters on the web but they have been surprisingly difficult to locate. I found this site which has exactly what I want but the prices seem crazy at $3.50 per letter. I found a few other sites and sellers on ebay but most of those only have 1" letters and/or they are not 3D.

Does anyone know of a better source for chrome letters which won't chip, flake, discolor, or rust?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I used the dental floss method today to remove the large "Tundra" emblem from the driver door, starting with the T and working left to right slowly. Flat dental floss does not work at all, you need the thin round dental floss which looks like strong white thread and is covered with wax. Next I gently peeled the remaining adhesive tape from the door and the back of the emblem with my fingers, washed the door surface lightly and rinsed it well, let it air dry, and removed the final bits of sticky glue with Goo Gone. It took a while since I was being so careful but it worked out perfect. The emblem came off in one piece without any damage to the emblem or the paint and you can't even tell where the emblem used to be.

Now I just need to remove the other badges tomorrow and order my new custom badges. I still haven't found a good source for 3D chrome letters which are factory quality and don't cost a fortune. Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts