Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew, *just* finished taking off the combined 2 sq.ft of plastic chrome emblems and rear fender TRD decals.

Looks MUCH better!!!

BTW--anyone wanna buy my old badges? They are all intact, I didn't break a single one of 'em.

EDJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
looking good! I've got all the rear badging off mine, just need to remove the Tacoma on the side now. Waiting until later this week when it warms up a bit! Nothing like having a little snow in April in Texas!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Never did understand the desire to buy a Toyota and be proud of it and then debadge it as if you wanted to hide what vehicle it is. Toyota has some of the best lettering (badging) of any vehicle on the market today.To me without it it just looks incomplete. That's just me and we don't all like the same things. Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great. I need to get them removed off mine before the paint starts to not match.

What did you use to get them off. Good to see the Gate letters are pure stick on, no pin. I've been afraid to remove them and find a hole in the gate like older emblems have.

To the poster on why to remove them.

1) They are ugly
2) They are tacky
3) On something like a TDR they scream "steel me, I'm expensive"
4) They make no sense, why does a TDR still have an SR5 badge on it?
5) Do you think putting something like "Ford" or "Chevy" across the top of the windshield looks good?
6) The stickers will begin to come off in time.
7) They clutter it all up. Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 all on the gate, what is the point.
8) If you are like me, the vehicle should have one clean emblem in the grill, maybe the model name on the back, and maybe the brand emblem again, and that is it.
9) If toyota wants to pay me to be a bill board, then I might keep them.
10) It's no different then removing all the dealer markings. Unless you have one of the really evil dealerships that drills and mount emblems to the vehicle thus it takes body work to remove.
11) Why on earth is there an emblem for what engine I have. How come it doesn't have one for 5 speed Auto, or Floor mates.
12) In time they look real silly. Every see a car from the 80s with a "5 speed" or "fuel injection" or "turbo" badge on it, sure it was cool then.

Now one doesn't' have to remove them all. If it's the emblem, or the body work is built around it, leave it. Removing the T from the grill would look really odd. But stickers have to go. Pointless and almost contradicting emblems (SR5 on a TRD) have to go.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Great. I need to get them removed off mine before the paint starts to not match.

What did you use to get them off. Good to see the Gate letters are pure stick on, no pin. I've been afraid to remove them and find a hole in the gate like older emblems have.

To the poster on why to remove them.

1) They are ugly
2) They are tacky
3) On something like a TDR they scream "steel me, I'm expensive"
4) They make no sense, why does a TDR still have an SR5 badge on it?
5) Do you think putting something like "Ford" or "Chevy" across the top of the windshield looks good?
6) The stickers will begin to come off in time.
7) They clutter it all up. Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 all on the gate, what is the point.
8) If you are like me, the vehicle should have one clean emblem in the grill, maybe the model name on the back, and maybe the brand emblem again, and that is it.
9) If toyota wants to pay me to be a bill board, then I might keep them.
10) It's no different then removing all the dealer markings. Unless you have one of the really evil dealerships that drills and mount emblems to the vehicle thus it takes body work to remove.
11) Why on earth is there an emblem for what engine I have. How come it doesn't have one for 5 speed Auto, or Floor mates.
12) In time they look real silly. Every see a car from the 80s with a "5 speed" or "fuel injection" or "turbo" badge on it, sure it was cool then.

Now one doesn't' have to remove them all. If it's the emblem, or the body work is built around it, leave it. Removing the T from the grill would look really odd. But stickers have to go. Pointless and almost contradicting emblems (SR5 on a TRD) have to go.
I disagree with all of your points but it's personal preference. One thing I can say about #6 is that my 2000 Tundra has TRD decals on the rear fender and they are not coming off at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I disagree with all of your points but it's personal preference. One thing I can say about #6 is that my 2000 Tundra has TRD decals on the rear fender and they are not coming off at all.

Yes some are personal, others I don't think are.

Advertising a vehicle has having the better parts does make it more of a stealing target. It's not like Tacomas are uncommon so that people can't do anything with them after they steal them.

Far as coming of, well, the truck is only a 2000, that's not old. They will come free a little bit at the corners in time.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes some are personal, others I don't think are.

Advertising a vehicle has having the better parts does make it more of a stealing target. It's not like Tacomas are uncommon so that people can't do anything with them after they steal them.

Far as coming of, well, the truck is only a 2000, that's not old. They will come free a little bit at the corners in time.
Which ones do you think are not personal preference?

As far as theft, if a person really wants a Toyota Tacoma, they are going to know what one looks like so if you are expecting to somehow fool the person into thinking it's a different truck, it's not going to happen. People simply have to be smart with their vehicles and not do stupid things like leaving it unlocked or leaving the keys in the vehicle. If someone really wants your vehicle, they will get into it and take it. If I wanted to steal a truck, I would probably target the ones that have had all the emblems/decals removed. This shows me the owner likes to personalize their vehicle and there is probably a good chance they have made upgrades to the vehicles which means more money for me.

SR5- Interior Trim Level
TRD- Suspension Package

·
Registered
17 Posts
By removing them to a normal level, people are just making it normal looking. Of course someone who really knows, will know.

And I'm not going to go crazy trying to strip it down. I won't go and replace the dumb "4x4" mudflaps with blank ones. But when they do break off, of course I will get blank ones, cause the 4x4 ones look dumb. "Gee, you mean the truck is a 4x4 like all trucks should be, amazing"

If Toyota didn't go nuts plastering the truck with so much pointless stuff, I wouldn't change it. I never removed anything from previous cars, since they followed good tasteful rules. Emblem front and back, name of model on the trunk, and that was it.

But when you look at the back of the Tacoma, you begin to ask yourself why they didn't go further. Like how about an emblem on there that tells us the color. So if you have a red tacoma there would be a "red" emblem on the back, just to clear it up for people so there is no miss understanding.

I just can't stand tacky stuff junking up the look of something. Like front license plates. When I moved to california that really bummed me out coming from intelligent states that don't have them. I drove my car without. It had been through 4 states and never got mutilated with front holes. The truck came with holes in the front. Need to find a solution for that, but still, no plate is on the front. At least it's not like some cars which have no provision for such things in the designs, so they have to add on funky plate holders which destroy the look of the car.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't understand either. Looks bland to me. Whatever creams your Twinkie, though...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like a nice job :tu: What technique did you use to get the badges off?

We don't need no stinkin' badges :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can buy 14k gold lettering for your Tacoma for $200.00 and it really looks sharp to me. I removed and painted mine with Gold leaf spray and people love it and want to know if it's a deluxe Tacoma.
It's all in the eye of the beholder and the excuses I've heard so far for removing them just don't make any sense to me but we sure don't all think alike either. If I bought a new Rolls and removed the badges it would not stop anyone from stealing it and the dealer or Rolls Royce company could care less if I removed them and refused to advertise for them, they already have my money.
When you go to sell that vehicle or trade it in be ready to deduct from the price or replace the badges. They are not cheap and the dealer will ask for them or someone who may want to buy it may want them back on. It's just a personnel thing and some people think bald and naked is beautiful, nothing wrong with that! :D Mike

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sprayed a little QD (Meguiers Quick Detail) and let it soak for a minute. Then I took some fishing line (and while wearing gloves) sawed it off. The rubbery adhesive remaining I rubbed off with my fingers, others use a plastic spatula or putty knife with great success. The leftover residue I used WD-40 and a terry cloth towel to rub off. Then I washed/waxed over it.

For the TRD Decals I used a hair dryer to warm it up. Then I slipped a finger nail under an edge and started peeling. WD-40'd the remaining residue and washed/waxed.

Looks clean as a newborn's butt, IMHO!

EDJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I bought a new Rolls and removed the badges it would not stop anyone from stealing it and the dealer or Rolls Royce company could care less if I removed them and refused to advertise for them, they already have my money.
Mike
Rolls already did you the favor of not putting all the emblems on to begin with. You know, just in case you decide to trade your truck in.:)
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars | Design without compromise

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
By removing them to a normal level, people are just making it normal looking. Of course someone who really knows, will know.

And I'm not going to go crazy trying to strip it down. I won't go and replace the dumb "4x4" mudflaps with blank ones. But when they do break off, of course I will get blank ones, cause the 4x4 ones look dumb. "Gee, you mean the truck is a 4x4 like all trucks should be, amazing"

If Toyota didn't go nuts plastering the truck with so much pointless stuff, I wouldn't change it. I never removed anything from previous cars, since they followed good tasteful rules. Emblem front and back, name of model on the trunk, and that was it.

But when you look at the back of the Tacoma, you begin to ask yourself why they didn't go further. Like how about an emblem on there that tells us the color. So if you have a red tacoma there would be a "red" emblem on the back, just to clear it up for people so there is no miss understanding.

I just can't stand tacky stuff junking up the look of something. Like front license plates. When I moved to california that really bummed me out coming from intelligent states that don't have them. I drove my car without. It had been through 4 states and never got mutilated with front holes. The truck came with holes in the front. Need to find a solution for that, but still, no plate is on the front. At least it's not like some cars which have no provision for such things in the designs, so they have to add on funky plate holders which destroy the look of the car.
To each his own but it's all personal preference no matter what you say.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Never did understand the desire to buy a Toyota and be proud of it and then debadge it as if you wanted to hide what vehicle it is. Toyota has some of the best lettering (badging) of any vehicle on the market today.To me without it it just looks incomplete. That's just me and we don't all like the same things. Mike
I couldn't agree more... But that's just me as well... I removed the dealer decal only, since I do business with one different, than where I bought it from...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts