Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the truck 1 day and I'm already dropping cash on new tires. This board is a BAD influence :devil:. I decided on 295/65/18 Goodyear DuraTrac's that will replace my BFG Rugged Trails. I've heard lots of good things about the DuraTracs and not a lot of good things on the BFG Rugged Trails. I will be getting them put on next Monday. I found a shop that is willing to give me $145/tire on trade. Will cost me about $650 to boot after trade. Later on I will be putting 5100's up front and plan to leave the rear alone. I will keep everyone posted with pics. Anyone else running this tire and size?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan on getting the same tires except i want the 305/55R20s (33.2"). i heard the same good things about the DuraTrac's. Keep us posted on how much you like them or hate them. Also sounds like a good trade value. my stock tires now have 2K miles on them, i need to hurry and trade them out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wanted this tire but the guy I get my tires from could not get them at the time so I went with the 305/65/18 bfg all terrains. I like my tires but am still interested in the duratrac's next time. My only fear is that I will notice the height difference in the two tires and they will look small to me even though the difference is minimal. I look forward to the pics.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Bump for pics.

-rockstate
Good call Rock I would like to see pics too. OP I can't believe that a tire shop is giving you $145 a tire for the ragged trails, hell they're only like $195 at Sam's Club. I'd be interested to know about the fit with no lift and also do you plan to put the 5100's on the top setting??

·
Registered
422 Posts
i'd like to see these also - thinkiing about getting them for my jeep.

Maylon - I dont think he's getting 145 for the rugged trails - I think he's paying 145 for the duratracs if he trades in his rugged trails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like the look of these tires....please post updates as to how they handle in various conditions (highway/rainy weather traction/ dirt & mud). Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
id like to see pics as well. A friend of mine has the duratracks on his dually and he likes them, says they ride pretty good and arent too noisy. After 20k miles they dont show much abnormal wear either. They will probably be my next tire.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
CLW, that's swhat I like to hear...

I want something with at least 40K miles of tread on 'em. With 18/32nds of an inch, it should last a good while. The KO is only half an inch.

-rockstate

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea he runs a tire shop down south and he said several farmers down there are running them on 3/4 ton dodges most are gettin around 40k out of um but thats is towing heavy and alot of rock roads which eats tires. I would think 50k on a tundra should be no problem especially since its an E rated tire. Ive had several sets of toyo MT's other trucks and i like them, but man the duratracks just look bad a!! and im looking to try something different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a couple pictures of mine. From what the wife says. she absolutely loves em.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Do you think that since they're a 33" they look fine? Or would you have wished you'd have gone wtiha 34.5?

I'm in a debacle here...

Nitto Terra Grapplers at 34.5 or the G/years at 33.1

-rockstate

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what i can tell they look fine ya know? The reason i didn't go bigger was i really wasn't diggin the whole "cut your skid plate" to make ensure they dont rub. I'm a little anal when it comes to cutting stuff on the truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
goodyear offers both a 295/65/18 (33.4in) and a 325/65/18 (34.8in) in the duratrack ive got a 2010 goodyear data book from a tire show a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
From what i can tell they look fine ya know? The reason i didn't go bigger was i really wasn't diggin the whole "cut your skid plate" to make ensure they dont rub. I'm a little anal when it comes to cutting stuff on the truck.
Yeah they look great man! And at about 60 cheaper (if you pay list price in a store, and online for the KOs) a tire thant eh KOs, it's a lot better of a buy.

The guy wouldn't deal with me today on 'em so I'd be paying $1203.... thanks but no thanks.

I'll go to a different store to deal - not to mention I wasn't really READY to buy today - but maybe in a few months.

-rockstate

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These won't fit without a lift, will they? 295 65 18 on stock rims?
They fit without a lift. I've had them on a few weeks now and haven't had any fit problems. I haven't done the front skid bend yet but really haven't noticed any rubbing. I plan on putting Biltstein 5100's on up front to give a little lift up front to try to level out the stance. As far as the tires go I really like them so far. They look great! They are a little louder than the stock Rugged Trail's but not that much more. I haven't had them off road yet so I can't say much about that. I feel they will be much better than the Rugged Trail's (especially in snow which we get lots of here in ND). I'm running 40 lbs up front and 42 out back. Ride isn't too bad at these levels. Handling was squirmy at first but has got better with some mileage on them. I think the tires need to break in a bit. I would recommend these tires if anyone is interested. Oh and I will try to get some pics soon.:)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I got rid of my OEM BFG R/Ts at 12,500 miles and I should have done it sooner ... Discount Tire took my old tires in on trade.

·
Registered
570 Posts
well, you took the most important first step... getting rid of those suck *** stock tires they gave us. Mine were balding at 20K miles. Replaced them with the BFG AT/kos 25K miles ago, and the tires still look brand new. God, I hate stock tires. It's not just vanity (though that is a part of it for sure), they were crap in the snow. I drive my truck and tow for the Red Cross when the roads are closed to everyone else. Can't dick around with stock tires in a blizzard.

those tires are beauties. I would like to move to the mud terrains... but that would be total vanity. The AT/kos are fine.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts