Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver sky metallic and am going with Line X Xtra. Should I go color match or black? Will one show scratches more than the other? Pros and cons of each.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Anybody with LineX questions should contact 123Gone on this forum.

Otherwise, color matching LineX-Xtra is a preference and will add expense if that is a concern.

Xtra is not supposed to fade as much as regular LineX but since my bed has a shell it was done with regular. The running boards were done with Xtra.

Xtra is a top coat on regular LineX from my understanding rather than a completely separate process.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I think asking consumers is more real than a vendor, not that 123 would lead you astray. I think you have to be honest about how much and what you'll be putting back there. It does seem most people with the most expensive liners use them the least.
As far as color, if you are color matching the rest of the truck, then go color. If you like to match the trim, then black is the way to go.
You could also go in between, say like slate

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Black for sure. cant go wrong with that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the color matched, and love it. My truck is slate and other than the texture difference, it matches perfectly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to agree with black. I have had this on my last three trucks and have never regreted it. Any other color and you risk showing marks especially with a lighter color.
cheers.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I have a silver sky metallic and am going with Line X Xtra. Should I go color match or black? Will one show scratches more than the other? Pros and cons of each.
IMO Your truck has chrome wheels, chrome nerf's, and could add chrome mirror covers and handles. If you plan on sticking woith the chrome, I would color match. If you plan on changing wheels/nerfs then I would go black. JMO.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Black for sure

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the opinions. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. I decided on the balck. I pick the truck up tomorrw afternoon so we will see how it turned out.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
once u go black u wont turn back.......

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had the same question when I got mine done. My shop actually talked me out of color matching (silver) because he said it would show marks and scratches if I was not very careful when putting things in the bed. I went with the black Xtra and have not regretted it once. I have thrown all kinds of things in the bed and it still looks brand new 15 months later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Line-X dealer talked me out of color match as well, I didn't mind paying extra $$$ but he said they are prone to fade unless you treat them with an anti-UV spray once a year or keep them covered. He showed me his son's truck that was color matched but never UV treated and it didn't look good.

I had the same question when I got mine done. My shop actually talked me out of color matching (silver) because he said it would show marks and scratches if I was not very careful when putting things in the bed. I went with the black Xtra and have not regretted it once. I have thrown all kinds of things in the bed and it still looks brand new 15 months later.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My Line-X dealer talked me out of color match as well, I didn't mind paying extra $$$ but he said they are prone to fade unless you treat them with an anti-UV spray once a year or keep them covered. He showed me his son's truck that was color matched but never UV treated and it didn't look good.
Does the black fade?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'll make a few points.

If you're comparing black with Xtra with a color match (always has Xtra), you're talking the SAME LINE-X products, just a different color of pigment which does not affect the bedliner other than the color.

The question is whether or not gray shows scratches more than black. Keep in mind my first point. Well, honestly, I don't think one shows scratches more than the other. However, assuming you do get some scratches, I would think that black would be easier to deal with if you want to treat the scratches with something. Another "however": If you use your truck like a truck (and a lot of people don't), then I would recommend black.

Standard black LINE-X is aromatic and will lose some gloss and color over time. Xtra is an aliphatic product and will hold its gloss and color for many years.

Here's the process for applying LINE-X Xtra, I'll use Silver Sky Met. as an example. Gray pigment is added to unpigmented LINE-X resin at an amount that makes the color of the bedliner at least close to the truck's paint color. Using the factory paint code for Silver Sky Met. to get the exact paint pigment formula, pigments are added to unpigmented LINE-X Xtra. The bedliner is applied to the truck and then Xtra is applied on top of the bedliner. However, there are significant differences between Xtra and other "topcoats".

Let me briefly stop here to say: Xtra is a co-branded DuPont/LINE-X product and interestingly, it's the only co-branded product that DuPont has ever been involved with. DuPont and LINE-X spent over two years formulating the product.

OK, Xtra is different than other topcoats because it actually achieves mechanical bonding by migrating into the top portion of the bedliner. Other topcoats simply sit on top of the bedliner. During my Xtra training class conducted by DuPont, they showed us microscopic cross sections indicating the migration into the bedliner. In addition, Xtra is fortified with a DuPont Kevlar micro pulp. Kevlar fibers are 5 times stronger than steel. There are other differences, such as it's not water based like some other topcoats, etc.

Now that you know all that, you might be wondering why I said that if you use your truck like a truck, then you should get black. Well, if you're going to beat up the bedliner, then a black bedliner has a more consistant color all the way through the bedliner. So, if you beat it up, you will always see a consistent black color while a color match may not have as much of a consistent color all the way through. So, a color match is tough and is fine for most people, but if you going to be throwing bricks into the bed from a 5 story building, then stick with black.

·
Registered
444 Posts
black...and xtra is not a topcoat, paint is mixed in with the line-x formula. i had my bed and bumpers done with the line-x-xtra in black and have been very happy, it looks good with the silver
Read the explanation from 123Gone (above) for clarification about LineX and Xtra.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man I had no idea this thread would make 2 pages. Thanks again for all the help\opinions. I just picked up the truck and it looks great. It is overcast outside, but it still has a shine to it. In my opinion, I am glad I went with the balck. Not only does it look good, it was $100 cheaper than the color match. I paid $600 OTD for the Line X Xtra in black. Now I really want to do the bumpers. My Line X guy didn't want to fool with taking the bumpers off, so if I get it done, I guess I will have to take the bumpers off myself. Is this very hard to do?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts