Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I need some help. I bought a 2010 Tundra CM, it is a 2 wheel drive but has the TRD package. Now it is decision time. Do I lower the rear and put street tires on it or do I put a lift on it and go with off road or all terrain tires. I'm worried that with it only being a two wheel drive that it will look funny if I lift it.
I would rather go with the latter of the two and put a small lift on it with some nice wheels and off road tires. What do you guys think? Has anyone out there put a lift on a 2 wheel drive with an TRD package?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Alright guys I need some help. I bought a 2010 Tundra CM, it is a 2 wheel drive but has the Off Road Package. Now it is decision time. Do I lower the rear and put street tires on it or do I put a lift on it and go with off road or all terrain tires. I'm worried that with it only being a two wheel drive that it will look funny if I lift it.
I would rather go with the latter of the two and put a small lift on it with some nice wheels and off road tires. What do you guys think? Has anyone out there put a lift on a 2 wheel drive with an off road package?
Lower with street tires. Why pretend to be able to go off road?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I know quite a few people who regularly off road with 2wd. Obviously you have to be careful where you go but knowing ahead of time what you can and can't do with your truck you can simply avoid any situations that would require 4wd. I'd go with a leveling kit and some aggressive tires, you'll have a great looking truck and still be able to go off road in most conditions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lift it and be happy!!! It will be no different then lifting a 4wheel drive, that will never go off road!! Do it :tu:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lift it Amigo - I did a coilover lift and tires on my '07 2wd. I offroad it all the time and it works great - I just needed to raise the front end up a bit to keep the bumper from getting ripped off when hitting washes and dips in the road. Plus it looks a helluva lot better and you can put some decent meats on it. The Baja trophy trucks are 2wd - you don't need 4wd when your blasting down rough dirt roads. Works 4 me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do whichever best matches how you intend to use your truck. Don't decide based on looks, decide based on function. If there's no good answer to be found, then how about this for a crazy idea, leave it stock and invest the cash you would have pee'd away.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Lift it. You can still off road and load the truck heavy without bottoming out. Lower it and you just killed your off road and hauling capability unless you just want to haul *ss.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Agreed. I'd go with a lift (and I did but i have 4wd).

Extra ground clearance will thank you. Heck, just coming out of Chic-Fil-A, I always think I'm going to bottom out it's so steep.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Mine is still stock, no TRD even and most think it is 4wd. You cannot tell. I would not put M/T on a boulevard cruiser, but most things you do will look fine.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would do at least a leveling kit and all terrain tires. I was going to do a 6", but I drive too much and use it for work. It would be hell getting in the bed and out for tools and material. I am just waiting for stocks to wear some more before I level and get new rubbers.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Alright guys I need some help. I bought a 2010 Tundra CM, it is a 2 wheel drive but has the TRD package. Now it is decision time. Do I lower the rear and put street tires on it or do I put a lift on it and go with off road or all terrain tires. I'm worried that with it only being a two wheel drive that it will look funny if I lift it.
I would rather go with the latter of the two and put a small lift on it with some nice wheels and off road tires. What do you guys think? Has anyone out there put a lift on a 2 wheel drive with an TRD package?
It's not gonna "look" funny its gonna look exactly the same minus the 4x4 badge. I could understand not putting a $1500 6-8" lift on a two wheel drive truck but a level kit is hardly an offroad mod, it just changes the stance of the truck. I say if you want to go up go up man. Mine is 2wd and i did the 5100's and larger tires and even my wife admitted that it looks like a different truck. Good luck whatever you do but my vote is for lift!!!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot guys! Looks like I'm going to go with a leveling kit and some all terrain tires. Now I'll probably spend the next week looking at wheels, I hear the rockstars are nice!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! Looks like I'm going to go with a leveling kit and some all terrain tires. Now I'll probably spend the next week looking at wheels, I hear the rockstars are nice!
:tu: .

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It has all terrain tires on it already from the factory!
No...it has P-rated BFG Rugged Trails which are probably the worst tire ive ever used. Do a 2.5"-3" level lift put some BFG All Terrain KO's on it and it will look great. You wouldn't be able to tell its a 2wd truck from the outside anyways.

Remember its a truck, not a low pro high performance sports car. I think trucks always look better with bigger tires and more ground clearance.

You get more road respect too. I've never stopped to think about pulling out in front of some lowered pick up with little tires on it, because I'm bigger than they are. A lowered truck isn't gonna get you any road respect. Trust me, boost that truck up a little bit, put some nice beefy tires on it and all of a sudden people will stop pulling out in front of you. :cool: Ive had other Tundra's following me before and it's quite the intimidating vehicle to have behind you. The grill lines and the glowing DRL's look nasty coming at you in a rear view mirror. :devil:

You can still spin the rear tires with 305/65/18 BFG All-terrains no problem too.
Heres mine:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts