Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing an 04-06 Tundra double cab sometime this week and will be installing subs in it, underneath the backseat and wanted to know what is the deepest mount depth sub I can put underneath the seat.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Purchasing an 04-06 Tundra double cab sometime this week and will be installing subs in it, underneath the backseat and wanted to know what is the deepest mount depth sub I can put underneath the seat.
There's not much room, unless you want to start cutting. Mine are 4.5" depth and I had to use a hammer to create a a little more space to get those in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's not much room, unless you want to start cutting. Mine are 4.5" depth and I had to use a hammer to create a a little more space to get those in.
Thanks for the reply.
What subs did you install?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, is there room for Pioneer 10" shallow mount subs, they are 3" depth so thats not a prob, but is there room for 10" diameter.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I've got a pair of ED 9kv2's in mine. I don't know about those 10,s. The top of the opening is big enough, but the space is an odd shape. Almost triangular in cross section, so the width of the magnet is usually the limiting factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The real question is do you mind cutting and working with fiberglass? If that is more work (or time) than you want to put into it, then you are pretty limited on the (2) 8" subs under the driver's side rear seat (or JL's stealth box in the console) if you want it hidden. There are tons of posts on this forum about possible systems. If nothing else, check out these links for ideas (most are pretty intense) if for nothing else where to mount your amps.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/159034-how-fit-two-10-subs-06-a/
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/175710-06-tundra-dc-system-s/
Picasa Web Albums - christophertowle - Tundra_Install

Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The real question is do you mind cutting and working with fiberglass? If that is more work (or time) than you want to put into it, then you are pretty limited on the (2) 8" subs under the driver's side rear seat (or JL's stealth box in the console) if you want it hidden. There are tons of posts on this forum about possible systems. If nothing else, check out these links for ideas (most are pretty intense) if for nothing else where to mount your amps.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/159034-how-fit-two-10-subs-06-a/
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/175710-06-tundra-dc-system-s/
Picasa Web Albums - christophertowle - Tundra_Install

Hope this helps with your decision.
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. Looking at the first link, is the fiberglass really necessary?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. Looking at the first link, is the fiberglass really necessary?
Well you want to make it a sealed enclosure so at the very least you'd need to fill in all the holes in that compartment. Then you have the issue of the top of the box being airtight. After that I'd worry about laying some type of deadening material down so the thinner metal walls of the compartment don't vibrate.

If you go to all the work of cutting & welding the space to make it large enough for a 10" sub, you should really continue to do it correctly and use fiberglass. You'll be much happier with the results and it should sound much better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you want to make it a sealed enclosure so at the very least you'd need to fill in all the holes in that compartment. Then you have the issue of the top of the box being airtight. After that I'd worry about laying some type of deadening material down so the thinner metal walls of the compartment don't vibrate.

If you go to all the work of cutting & welding the space to make it large enough for a 10" sub, you should really continue to do it correctly and use fiberglass. You'll be much happier with the results and it should sound much better.
Thanks for the reply. Since the cutting kind of gets me worried since I'm changing the body (not worried in my welding skills). So if I didn't want to cut into the frame, do you think 3 Kicker solo-baric 8's, would be close to as loud as 2 Pioneer premier series shallow mount 10's?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I'm fairly certain you don't need to cut into the frame and I'd be more worried about welding then cutting since. The area around those compartments is pretty much empty from what I've seen. I know there was at least one person that cut the middle out from between the two compartments and created one long space. I'm not sure you'll have enough airspace for the 3 solos let alone enough depth unless you create a bigger space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
defhaps is correct,

You wouldn't need to cut into the fram or any supporting members. all the space under the back seat is hollow. If you don't cut out under the seat, then you are looking at approx. 1.4 cu. ft (and that isn't taking into account the space you lose with the material to build the box and speaker displacement). The floorpan is not level or straight, that is why I would recommend fiberglass, you can maximize the airspace that way. Even with the cutout, you are looking at a little more than 2 cu. ft. You are then limited by speaker depth and needed airspace. The only way to add more than the cut out is raise your seats with some welding or cut out under your jack and fabricate a new well. You are out of luck under the driver's side... beneath it is your gas tank :( I am currently working on raising my seat up 2" and puting to 12" solobarics in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I understand its just a hollow compartment, I would just rather leave the metal of the truck alone. I will most likely be going with two kicker solo baric 8's if they fit. Anyways tanks and heres a pic

·
Registered
34 Posts
2 Solobaric 8s? That is going to sound sweet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts