Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask something I'm sure is covered in a forum already, but I cound't find the thread.

I have an 02 AC and I want to get rid of the "Key's still in the ignition, Stupid" beeper. Anyone know and easy fix?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
find it-cut it out-tape off ends

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so where is it located?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Since you're a subscriber, have you checked the TS Knowledge Base for your specific vehicle's wiring diagram? It'll probably help a lot and keep you from disabling things you didn't intend to, if you can find the right section and follow the leads.

Just curious--why do you want to disable this feature?

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I have keyless entry and don't lock the vehicle unless I use the remote (except while cruisin' the ghetto) I don't fear locking my keys inside. I like to listen to the stereo while working on the truck and the beep beep drives me nuts. I did figure it out, though.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW where is the knowledge base located?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I understand. Too bad it doesn't just time out like the interior and cargo lights.

Easiest place to count on finding the Knowledge Base link is at the bottom of any page, near the center of the lowermost blue bar.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
How did you fix it, the beep drives me crazy as well.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Sorry to ask something I'm sure is covered in a forum already, but I cound't find the thread.

I have an 02 AC and I want to get rid of the "Key's still in the ignition, Stupid" beeper. Anyone know and easy fix?
FROM THE FAQ: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/garage/faqs/lighting/lightingfaqgauges.htm

"How to disable the warning alarm that sounds when the key is left in the ignition with the door open.

Method 1: Remove the plastic panel below the steering column (four 10mm bolts), leave the hood release cable attached. You should be able to identify three electrical connectors that are connected to the back of the key switch, one large white connector, one small blue connector and one small white connector. It is easy to see that the small blue one attaches to the lighted ring around the key switch. Disconnect the small white connector. Secure the loose connector with a ziptie or a piece of electrical tape so it doesn't rattle. Put everything back together. No annoying buzzer when the key is in and the door open, but you have also lost part of the door lock control. That is, before this mod if you try to lock the doors with the power lock switch or try to lock the drivers door manually, the door lock control won't let you, after this mod the door lock control will let you lock the doors with the key in the ignition.

Method 2: Remove the instrument cluster (the plastic surround and disconnect the wire connectors from the cluster too). Of the 4 wiring connectors (blue, white, brown and gray) you'll be working on the brown one. If you look at the brown wiring connector you'll see that there are 13 spaces for individual wires/terminals, 6 in a group (#1 thru #6) and 7 in a group (#7 thru #13). The group of 6 should be under the locking tab of the brown connector, as a double check you can see that this is different than the 13 spaces in the blue connector. Remove terminal #1 from the brown connector (the first one of the group of 6 on the end of the connector, wire color should be pink with a black tracer). Once you have removed the terminal, cover it with electrical tape and secure it to the wire harness. Put everything back together. No annoying buzzer when the key is in and the door is open, and you have unaltered door lock control."

I did the mod using method 2. But instead of just pulling the wire, I spliced a switch into it. That way I can have it both ways.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
332 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the first method and for my 2002, the wires entering the connection were pink. Thanks for the replies and good luck for those who try it next.

·
Registered
506 Posts
bumping an old thread to show another option. I used the following method on my 05 tacoma and today on my 06 tundra. as mentioned, there are several ways to do this.:tu:

this link is from my 05 tacoma so some things will be different, but same idea. some people have mentioned to just silicone around it to kill the noise. this was easier. there are no side affects to this method.

slamdtaco1's 2005 Toyota Tacoma on CarDomain - Page 6

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was tried to do method 2 on my 06 tundra today, but my instrument panel only has 2 connectors not 4. There is a brown one and a blue one, the brown is on the left side, and has a similar setup to that described, but the top group has 7 wires and the bottom group has 6. There are 2 pink with black stripes in the #3 and #4 wire locations in the top group. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
my 2000 wont let me lock the doors with the key in the ignition anyway. But the beeping IS annoying when you want to listen to radio with door open

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 06 DC has these two connections to the instrument panel. Anyone know which wire to cut for method 2? I would like it so I couldn't lock my keys in the ignition still.

Sorry the pics are low rez had to take them with my phone since camera battery was dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hispeed,
I wanted to say "Thank You" for the info on disabling the beep. I used your method 2 on my 2003 Tundra and it worked. Finally some peace. Don't know why I didn't do it years earlier.

cheers, bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too would like to thank you! I do this to all of my vehicles, but I usually rip the chime off the circuit board. This was much faster!
(i used option 2 in my 01 sr5 v8)

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I've done this same basic mod on every vehicle I've had that had a "reminder" in it. I miss when it all you had to do was pull out a plug-in relay under the dash to get rid of it.

I went out today to decide whether I wanted to mess with this, and which method to do on my Tundra. While deciding whether I could live without the non-locking functionality with the key in the ignition, (I definately can...But then having both a 6 and a 4 yr old boy, both of which are [email protected], I REALLY needed to think whether that would be good to have one or both in the truck, with the key in, while I had to get out for even a split-second to do, or grab something...), I found that the "reminder" only stays on while trying to listen to the radio with doors open, with the key in ACC position. Beeper goes off in the ON position, and I can listen to the radio with the doors open.

I guess my question is, how much of a difference is there leaving the door open, and radio playing in the ON position, vs the ACC position?
I KNOW leaving it in the ON position takes more juice and will drain the battery faster, as ALL the electronics and computer will be sucking juice also.
But does anyone know just EXACTLY what is on/off, and draining/not draining juice in either position, or have any idea the differnce in time before the battery drains enough to not be able to start the truck?

·
Registered
20 Posts
BETTER FIX: Instead of cutting wires and trying to sort out which wire is the thick white wire and the skinny one and all that just disable the actual buzzer itself.
Location is just behind the instrument cluster that is way easier to remove then sorting out what wire to cut.
1) remove cluster bezel (unscrew the 2 small screws located in the top/upper region of cluster bezel and pull out)
2) remove instrument cluster (unscrew 2 screws on top and two on bottom)
3) remove back of instrument cluster (half a dozen screws in back; best to unplug and take to your kitchen table)
4) disable buzzer (small round black thing in the center, thats the little devil making all the noise. I just took mine apart and removed the diaphragm)
5) put it all back togeather.

Whole process took me 15-20minutes, no wires cut, no buzzer anymore, door locks work, dome light works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts