Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any update on availability, Is it still on schedule for November. Seems like they are awfully quiet. Please post any updates or rumors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any update on availability, Is it still on schedule for November. Seems like they are awfully quiet. Please post any updates or rumors.
I was at the toyota dealership on Monday in my town and they said that they are expecting them in two weeks. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
FWIW I test drove the Venza the day before Thanksgiving.
We came to a meeting of the minds the first week in December.
The new car should be in from the factory next week 12/16->19.
About MSRP $35k -$3k +TnT

2822 AWD V6 + LS CQ SA TO EJ CF

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Saw one yesterday at American Toyota ABQ NM but price was high 30's! nice looking but the NEW MODEL aspect would drive me away for atleast 3 or 4 years!:shockeda:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well to top all you guys, I work at the toyota plant in georgetown in KY. I build the Venza. Its going to be a great cross-over! There are still a few things were working out on them but just remember its a toyota and it will run forever. I hope to have one soon myself! Were the only plant that builds them so there going to be hard to get ahold of untill we get some out to market. Hey pjpro if you buy one hit me up I can run the body number and see if it had any problems before it left the plant.

Later

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well to top all you guys, I work at the toyota plant in georgetown in KY. I build the Venza. Its going to be a great cross-over! There are still a few things were working out on them but just remember its a toyota and it will run forever. I hope to have one soon myself! Were the only plant that builds them so there going to be hard to get ahold of untill we get some out to market. Hey pjpro if you buy one hit me up I can run the body number and see if it had any problems before it left the plant.

Later
Is the body number the same as the VIN (serial number) ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
No its not the same at all! The vin has alot more digits. The vin tells everything about the car, the body number tells me what bodyweld it came from bw1 or bw2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well they shutdown the Georgetown plant the day they were suppose to assemble my Venza. So now it's pushed out to sometime in January.
On the Vehicle Inquiry Report there is a 8 character Serial # but I don't see any "Body Number".

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I was at the local dealership yesterday and test-drove a new Venza - no surprises as I found it to be everything I'v heard and read about. The interesting aspect of the marketing literature and sales pitch is - it is a wagon and little mention of it being a crossover from the SUV. They are definitely distancing themselves from the SUV image.

I was also told that the ETA of any order is realistically 8-weeks unless you are willing to by one of the fully loaded models being forced fed to the dealerships. The Venza I drove sticker'ed out at $39K ad change.

Very nice ride and interior appointment

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was at the local dealership yesterday and test-drove a new Venza - no surprises as I found it to be everything I'v heard and read about. The interesting aspect of the marketing literature and sales pitch is - it is a wagon and little mention of it being a crossover from the SUV. They are definitely distancing themselves from the SUV image.

I was also told that the ETA of any order is realistically 8-weeks unless you are willing to by one of the fully loaded models being forced fed to the dealerships. The Venza I drove sticker'ed out at $39K ad change.

Very nice ride and interior appointment
I found it funny that Toyota was taking this approach with the Venza. When I first started adding them to our inventory, I was surprised that both Toyota and my corporate office classify the vehicle in the "car" category, which leads me to believe Toyota is taking the "wagon" approach to this vehicle. Some nice features, but I am not thrilled about the front end. The nice part is that (at least in these early stages) they come pretty much stuffed to the gills. I am a big fan of panoramic roofs (or is it rooves?) in vehicles. I have yet to be able to actually see one in person. My dealership had all three of them sold when they hit the ground, and since I'm at a remote location I can't just walk outside and look at it...Maybe pictures do it no justice on the front end...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow! I have yet to see a Venza for $39k. We have had a few here, and the most expensive was about $34k. Of course it didn't have navigation or the panoramic moon roof.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wow! I have yet to see a Venza for $39k. We have had a few here, and the most expensive was about $34k. Of course it didn't have navigation or the panoramic moon roof.
There were three at the specific store that I oversee. And each of them was around the $39k mark...we'll see more of them hopefully come in at a different price point, especially since they are slated to release the 4 cylinder versions later this month. Also, mainly because of location, we have yet to see a front wheel drive one. I should check the other three Toyota stores and find out what their packages have come in at...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone know definitively when the Georgetown, KY manufacturing plant restart the assembly line? It shut down the line December 16, 2008. This is where the Venza's are assembled in the US.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
here's an observation - for what it's worth?

Most, if not all the dealers in the NE area only have a couple Venza's in inventory and are advising 6-8 weeks order delivery from the factory.

They have a few on-hand for the potential buyer touch and feel interest and test drives. Seems toyota's strategy is build-to-order with a built-in delivery lag that supports a batch-build for factory economy and efficiency.

The new national Ad campaign on TV also seems to be geared toward building buyer demand and delivery towards the spring time. Unless you want to buy a fully loaded V6 Venza now.

A fundamentally sound strategy - it'll be interesting as to how it plays out.....

The only potential downside is losing a current customer who wants/needs to buy now and moves on to another heavily discounted make/model. Given toyota's akcnowledged slip in it's commitment to Kaizen during the past several years, current brand quality perceptions may not be enough to fend off today's steep competitive discounts??

Your thoughts and observations?

·
Registered
669 Posts
here's an observation - for what it's worth?

Most, if not all the dealers in the NE area only have a couple Venza's in inventory and are advising 6-8 weeks order delivery from the factory.

They have a few on-hand for the potential buyer touch and feel interest and test drives. Seems toyota's strategy is build-to-order with a built-in delivery lag that supports a batch-build for factory economy and efficiency.

The new national Ad campaign on TV also seems to be geared toward building buyer demand and delivery towards the spring time. Unless you want to buy a fully loaded V6 Venza now.

A fundamentally sound strategy - it'll be interesting as to how it plays out.....

The only potential downside is losing a current customer who wants/needs to buy now and moves on to another heavily discounted make/model. Given toyota's akcnowledged slip in it's commitment to Kaizen during the past several years, current brand quality perceptions may not be enough to fend off today's steep competitive discounts??

Your thoughts and observations?
I think Toyota's strategy is pretty similar to most manufacturers. If you want to create hype about a product, make it hard to find. People see it, feel it, fall in love with it, hopefully buy it. The tragedy is that they are releasing a new product in some pretty thick economic turmoil. Sales of every model are down. They announced closing their JAPANESE plants for 11 days to reduce their inventory supply. I think that people looking for the best deals on crossover wagon type vehicles will see the Venza, and some will find that it's worth the wait. Others will be comparison shopping and find STEEP discounts on similar type vehicles and jump at the opportunity. I don't think Toyota is counting on the Venza to be a revolutionary new product to save their brand from future slumps. They'll sell as many as they think they can, at a pace that they think is best. Gas prices are not outrageous at the present moment, so it's not like there is this huge demand for crazy fuel efficient vehicles. They're just trying to fill what they believe is a gap in their product line - a "niche" (sp?) so to speak...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
To some degree I agree, scarcity works well in normal markets with built-up demand. However in the current and foreseeable market, new product in reasonable availability can drive incremental sales because the Venza meets a demographic interest - a wagon for the boomers (who have the money to buy).

Although Toyota dealer inventories are lower than other dealers, it's obvious that they are trying to move excess inventories of current models while half-heartedly rolling out a new product.

I will tell you that I have been offered a Venza by two dealership at a $3K discount off sticker. Unfortunately that still does not meet my needs (i.e., I don't need a fully loaded vehicle) at high price (loaded cost) point.

I am ready to buy but won't be forced to buy what I don't want at a price I don't want to expend. I'm hearing the same form other people I meet at the dealerships and even from some of the sales people.

Developing a viable sales model in these market conditions can't be easy but I sense that the flash of a new product rollout is going to go for not if enough customers are turned away because of the price point of available Venza inventory at their dealers. Once these customers move on to a deeply discounted competitor product, they are gone for several years - if they ever come back. Marketing 101: It costs exceedingly more to capture new customers than to retain customers in the base. For the first time in Toyota's recent history, their brand premium can be effectively challenged by competitors because the buying behavior is being driven by price versus marginal variances in perceived qualirty.

This is by no means a criticism of Toyota - just an observation from my experience. The time-proven sales models are broken and nobody really knows what will work going forward. Retrenching works in the short-term but may not carry the day in the long-run against competitors who are dumping inventories.

At any rate, the Toyota marketing team must have an end-game in mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts