Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Of course the only true test would be to run both trucks at the same track at the same time to reduce the variables.Also the Tundra should have the optional 20" tires to eliminate one more variable.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
And that's GM's latest high tech, only available in the top of the line truck engine.

Jim
So true, and if the past is any indication, itll be a cold day in hell before they put it in a reg. cab truck.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I want some good numbers on the denali so i can see how it REALLY compares to our tundys.

HP - 425 @ ????rpm's
LB/FT----????
0-60 numbers ???
60-0 numbers????
towing performance??? payload, capacity, GAWR, etc...

Anyone know where i can get more info?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I want some good numbers on the denali so i can see how it REALLY compares to our tundys.

HP - 425 @ ????rpm's
LB/FT----????
0-60 numbers ???
60-0 numbers????
towing performance??? payload, capacity, GAWR, etc...

Anyone know where i can get more info?
How about gmc.com? That'll get you some at least. Just skimming through, it's 403hp and 417lb/ft. Payload is 1618lbs. Max towing is 8600lbs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the most totally awesomest feature of the Denali is how it loses 50% of its value in a little over a year.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Brand new is NO test, lets get a Denali and a Tundra with 100k on the odometer and I'll drive mine up to the starting line while the Denali is towed in!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems the most interesting "data" on it are mileage, power, price.

20mpg EPA highway
403HP
$41k

Similiarly equipped Tundra (crewcab SB 4x4/AWD):

18mpg EPA highway
381HP
$41K

The Tundra has nearly a 2,000lb rated tow advantage, but both have the same payload. If you have 4 adults, a full tank, and typical gear in the bed, tongue weight becomes the limiter, not rated tow capacity. Honestly, when you are towing over 8000lb a lot, perhaps neither truck is a good fit.

The engine in the Denali is the LSx family engine which is the new "Small Block Chevy" that debuted in 1997 and comes in flavors from 4.8L to 7.0L. It is a deceptively simple design with only 2 valves per cylinder and pushrods. But it has one of the best brake specific fuel consumption numbers in the gasoline industry. Even the 505HP version of the engine does not get the gas-guzzler tax (Corvette - 27mpg). There is a 650HP version in test mules that will be available in 2008 which is testing at 26mpg.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's pretty obvious who here fears other brands. I wonder sometimes how how some of you guys even figure out how to start your truck with such limited truck knowledge combined with such a narrow mind. Sorry to be so blunt and I apologize for my comment, but that's just how I see it.

What's the point in running down the Denali? It's a damn nice truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Brand new is NO test, lets get a Denali and a Tundra with 100k on the odometer and I'll drive mine up to the starting line while the Denali is towed in!
You need to do a little research. The LSx engines typical go over 200,000. This is one of the most proven modern powertrains available. Hopefully the Tundra V8's will prove themselves as well.

It is not 1975 anymore. Toyota makes a "real" truck now, V8's don't always suck fuel, and you don't rebuilt them at 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
479 Posts
20mpg EPA highway
That is data,but is it credible?According to tests by Edmunds and Car and driver,the 5.7 tundra achieved better mileage than the GMC 6 L engine despite the fact that the GM engine had a higher EPA estimate.As well the GM 6 L engine had the fuel management system that GM claims increases fuel mileage while the 6.2L engine does not.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
It's pretty obvious who here fears other brands. I wonder sometimes how how some of you guys even figure out how to start your truck with such limited truck knowledge combined with such a narrow mind. Sorry to be so blunt and I apologize for my comment, but that's just how I see it.

What's the point in running down the Denali? It's a damn nice truck.
It may well be a damn nice truck! But it's the the builder of the truck that has spun them into their current state of affairs. The GM quality has improved somewhat over the last decade but the fact is...People want a car built with quality and one that lasts. People today are willing to pay a bit more on the front end to save headaches & $$$ on the backend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is data,but is it credible?According to tests by Edmunds and Car and driver,the 5.7 tundra achieved better mileage than the GMC 6 L engine despite the fact that the GM engine had a higher EPA estimate.As well the GM 6 L engine had the fuel management system that GM claims increases fuel mileage while the 6.2L engine does not.
The EPA test loop is the EPA test loop. It certainly is not perfect, but it's all we have.

It is certainly not unusual for vehicles to report variations in mileage from the EPA ratings, but then again, GM 1/2t V8 trucks have been getting about 20mpg highway for a while now, reported by owners who cruise at 65.

The "fuel management" system you refer to is on all the GM products. It's the world's most advanced digital engine controller and software. This is why similiar engine designs fielded by Ford and Dodge have not hit the same economy with the same engine output. Time will tell if the Tundra engine will be able to best it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The EPA test loop is the EPA test loop. It certainly is not perfect, but it's all we have.

It is certainly not unusual for vehicles to report variations in mileage from the EPA ratings, but then again, GM 1/2t V8 trucks have been getting about 20mpg highway for a while now, reported by owners who cruise at 65.

The "fuel management" system you refer to is on all the GM products. It's the world's most advanced digital engine controller and software. This is why similiar engine designs fielded by Ford and Dodge have not hit the same economy with the same engine output. Time will tell if the Tundra engine will be able to best it.
The EPA test-loop consists of rolling on a drum dyno for a short time in a lab at low simulated speeds. I will trust actual test data over the EPA ratings any day.

The GM fuel management does nothing but gut the throttle until right before redline. It is designed to perform well in the test cycle, but will not live up to its claims in real life driving.

Does the "World's most advanced digital engine controller and software" have dual VVT-i or tuned variable-length intake runners like the Tundra 5.7L?

·
Registered
479 Posts
No it is not all that we have.I consider mileage figures posted by other sources such as Edmunds,Car and Driver and others to be just as credible.

but then again, GM 1/2t V8 trucks have been getting about 20mpg highway for a while now, reported by owners who cruise at 65.
My own 2004 GMC sierra 1500 crew 4x4 with 5.3 engine averaged 22 mpg (imperial gallon)highway mileage after being broken in and with a box cover.On a recent 600mile trip my 5.7 double cab 4x4 Tundra averaged 21 mpg(imperial gallon) with only 800miles on the truck and with no box cover.In other words,I expect my Tundra to at least equal the mileage of my 2004 GMC with the 5.3 engine despite producing much more power.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I got 14mpg in my 98 5.7 GMC, 12mpg in my 02 5.3 GMC (both 4x4) and 16mpg in my 04 GTO. All mixed, all normally driven.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The EPA test-loop consists of rolling on a drum dyno for a short time in a lab at low simulated speeds. I will trust actual test data over the EPA ratings any day.

The GM fuel management does nothing but gut the throttle until right before redline. It is designed to perform well in the test cycle, but will not live up to its claims in real life driving.

Does the "World's most advanced digital engine controller and software" have dual VVT-i or tuned variable-length intake runners like the Tundra 5.7L?
Actually the Denali does have digital variable valve timing. Not sure if it's sporting disp-on-demand though. While Corvette had variable intake geometry with the ZR1 engine, it was dropped. The head design on the LSx engines is very good, and there isn't much torque to be gained by altering the runner volume dynamically.

I do find it humorous that you fault GM for optimizing the test loop when all MFR's do it due to CAFE. Anyone who believes that Toyota is innocent, certainly hasn't read much on the Prius issue.

Technology is not gadgets. Technology is problem solving.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts