Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed the truck for the first time, it's been raining every weekend since I got it. I got up in the bed to wash the roof and what do I find? A freaking dent!!!! About the size of a nickel, maybe quarter. Right near the back edge. I haven't done a thing to cause this. They had better fix this on their own nickel.

Any thoughts?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
A flying rock? The roof of most vehicles is easily dented. Maybe at a carwash? Pics?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only car wash was a touch less. I would have heard a rock if it had been hit by one. No pics right now.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Maybe some a-hole kid threw it while you were away?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Washed the truck for the first time, it's been raining every weekend since I got it. I got up in the bed to wash the roof and what do I find? A freaking dent!!!! About the size of a nickel, maybe quarter. Right near the back edge. I haven't done a thing to cause this. They had better fix this on their own nickel.

Any thoughts?
Seems like the dealership could score some brownie points and just fix it for you. If its that small it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Have you talked to them yet about what they can do?

·
Registered
228 Posts
That sucks that there's a dent there, bro. Hope the dealer fixes it without problems.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have bunch of the dents on the roof... I just ignore it for now. If I buy it brand new... I would complain to the dealer.... hopefully they take some actions!

But you can easily dent it.. by put your hand or palm really hard on it.

My previous 4Runner... I usually climb up there to dry it after washed.... without any dents....

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I don't know how it is where you live, but around here, next to the ocean, seagulls and other birds drop objects all the time. Crabs, shellfish, branches, etc...

My friend had her windshield smashed badly 2 weeks ago by a gull who dropped a large quahog. There is a perfect shape of the shell and spidered out from there.

It happens.....

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
heck around here we call them hail dents. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
If its NEAR the back edge and not ON the back edge, it will prob cone out with a bit of PDR. Only pain is getting to it. Cab light assembly (the best access method) is attached to body from inside, under headliner. Those screws you can see on the outside of the cab light are for removing the lens to replace bulbs.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I used to wash the roof from the bed, but when I leaned on it to reach the middle it caved in under my left arm. It popped back out but left a small dimple in the metal. Now I wash it with a long handled brush.

Reminded me that I should always keep the wheels on the ground...........:D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Touchless carwashes can do that. I've seen a couple threads where the blower for drying the car off caused dents similar to what you're describing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, this isn't a general depression, it's a distinct dent.

Haven't made it to the dealership yet, going to combine it with the VVTi TSB issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was on my roof a while back and found a bullet half-buried in a shingle. Maybe some vato locos were shooting up in the air and one came down on your truck!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I have 3 dents on my roof, I can't see them from the ground so I tend to forgetabout it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a dent on my roof when I picked up my new '08. I didn't notice it at the dealership. I found it when I washed the truck the first time. I called Burnsville Toyota (Minnesota) and they just had their detailer use a paintless dent remover and I cannot tell where the dent was. I was told that they occasionally get these dents during shipment either on the train or the truck to the dealership.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a dent on my roof when I picked up my new '08. I didn't notice it at the dealership. I found it when I washed the truck the first time. I called Burnsville Toyota (Minnesota) and they just had their detailer use a paintless dent remover and I cannot tell where the dent was. I was told that they occasionally get these dents during shipment either on the train or the truck to the dealership.
BINGO! Now there's a helpful response. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
This topic brings a really good question, what's the perfect way to wash your Tundra? Touchless seems the easy way!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
by hand. The touchless did a crappy job. They're only good if the vehicle is mostly clean anyway

1 - 20 of 25 Posts