Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently deployed and our free time is becoming scarce due to preparing to leave. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.

I ordered an AFE Stage II SI Pro Dry Intake & Doug Thorley Tri-Y Short Headers. My wife would like to get them installed before I return home as a Fathers Day gift, as well as get a new exhaust set-up. I would like to have a true dual, but whatever set-up that would keep my truck within emissions standards and help with power or what not works for me. Any ideas of how the exhaust should be done to compliment the intake and headers? Also is it necessary to have it custom tuned? Custom tuning would obviously be most beneficial but will the power still increase without it? All help is highly appreciated, don't have the time to do sufficient research. Thank you.

- SPC Fitz

·
Registered
823 Posts
Header intake and true dual exhaust is a great start you dont have to get it custom tuned. The olny tuner out there is unichip some say its good others dont but if you want it tuned thats the olny way to go because theres no other choices. A true dual exhaust best way to go is take it to a shop and have it custom made. Thats a kick as* wife you have.....
Thank you for your deployment:tu:

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I agree with petey. The best way to go on the exhaust is to have a muffler shop built one from scratch. Magnaflows tend to drone, so I would stay away from them. Shoot an IM off to GGWOODY, he just put an exhaust on his Tundra.

I have an AFE try CAI on my Tundra - you will like it :D.

I would also stay away from the chip. They MUST be tuned. Between the chip and tune, you are looking at somewhere around $1200 - $1500. There have been WAY too many complaints here on the chip for me to take a chance on it, but it's your truck and your money, so you decide.

Thank you VERY much your service and PLEASE thank your wife for me, for her sacrifice also......

·
Registered
916 Posts
I am no help at all, just want to say God bless you for your service and stay safe. Hopefully you are not being deployed to either sandbox, especially if you have children.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
BIG THANK YOU for your service!! I put a K&N filter, DT Shorties, and a Borla dual rear-exit cat-back exhaust system. I didn't get any custom tune for this. Ride and sounds are great! Much better than stock!! My only suggestion would be to reset your ECU after all the installs by disconnecting the battery so your truck can relearn the new configuration without lighting up your dash!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick check up on the tips, I appreciate the advice and thank you all for the 'thank you' messages. Its nice to hear from the people who still care. Most don't know or don't care to know what we go through. Our heads are held high regardless.

Petey, thank you, I find your comment funny. About a month ago my wife said, "the truck needs a bigger lift and bigger tires." That was not too long after adding the 3/1 kit with the 33" tires, haha. But, the wife is always right : ) .

Guntech, thank you for your service as well. AFE sounded like the way to go, and I'm sure as well that it will be pleasing.

Spoon, we're actually preparing to head back to the states from Iraq. Finally get to see the wife and son again, should be home for his first birthday : )

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Thank you for your service! As for your truck set up, sounds like you are on a good track. The powersticks are LOUD:D Not sure if you want to go that aggressive. I had dual 2.25" installed and had a local shop custom run duals. It feels like the power band was shifted up in the rpm range. I'd be interested in how the shorties work for you, have been considering them but seems like there have been some mixed results:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts