Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking. Is there ANY chance the '08 Tundra will be offered in a Double Cab Limited with a Long Bed? I can't understand why not if they won't, but I know production has recently started on the '08 Titans with the 7 and 8 foot beds. My local Nissan dealer assures me they will both be available in LE configuration by late summer/early fall. I'll be ready to trade my Silverado between then and early next year.
I was very impressed with the Tundra I drove and hope to get one that has what I want. I must say I find Toyota's marketing perplexing, but it obviously works for them, if not for me. Again, thanks for any accurate information you helpful folks can provide.
This is a bit of a retread of an older thread: Yes, I need a long bed so we don't need to discuss that here. No, I don't want an SR5 to which I would add my own leather, so all of the various aftermarket options are of no interest to me. I'm only trying to find out if I should wait for the '08 Tundras to come out. I wrote to Toyota and got not one, but two lovely form letters with absolutely no information in them.
Thanks...

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Remember... Toyota is ran by shareholders, customer demands and their marketing team, not their engineering team. If there is money to be made with a 8ft bed crew cab then Toyota will build it otherwise don't hold your breath. Also, a 8ft bed with a Crew Cab will require a longer frame, longer drive shaft and a few other modifications which will just add to the complexity of the assembly line.

Look at the Supra. It had poor sales and was killed, Celica was killed after 30 years, both MR2s killed, Cressida killed, Corolla GTS killed and many other cars from the 70's and 80's. Toyota sells cars to make profit by walking the fine line between customer and shareholder. I wonder how many more people would visit the Toyota section of the Autoshow if they had a 400hp Supra, or a 300hp Celica, or a 300hp MR2 or a 250hp Corolla GTS? When I went to the autoshow I only went to the Toyota section to check out the Tundra and that was it. Toyota is the richest car manufacturer in the world and it's not because of their engineering department.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Toyota is the richest car manufacturer in the world and it's not because of their engineering department.[/quote]

Quite the contrary in my opinion. Seems Toyota engineering is besting that of the American brands and quickly reaching the level of the German autos. I thought this especially self-evident in the new Tundra. The whole package seems to work quite nicely together, IMO.

I think your point is more towards the lack of a special vehicles department, not engineers in general. Granted, it would be cool to see that 5.7l V8 in a RWD Avalon, or howabout a Lexus GS SPEC-R? My guess is Toyota has chosen the path of racing as promotion versus 'halo' vehicles.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
but I know production has recently started on the '08 Titans with the 7 and 8 foot beds. My local Nissan dealer assures me they will both be available in LE configuration by late summer/early fall. I'll be ready to trade my Silverado between then and early next year..
It sure would be nice to know what is going to be available in the future.

I own a Nissan Titan, which I traded my '00 Tundra for. Toyota could not give me what I was hoping for and in a big haste and hurry....and an attitude as well, I went to the Nissan side. I can understand where your coming from.

Nissan has not been good to me and I really wish I had held on to my Tundra until now, because it was a very expensive mistake for ME. You have to do what works for you, though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for looking. Is there ANY chance the '08 Tundra will be offered in a Double Cab Limited with a Long Bed? I can't understand why not if they won't, but I know production has recently started on the '08 Titans with the 7 and 8 foot beds. My local Nissan dealer assures me they will both be available in LE configuration by late summer/early fall. I'll be ready to trade my Silverado between then and early next year.
I was very impressed with the Tundra I drove and hope to get one that has what I want. I must say I find Toyota's marketing perplexing, but it obviously works for them, if not for me. Again, thanks for any accurate information you helpful folks can provide.
This is a bit of a retread of an older thread: Yes, I need a long bed so we don't need to discuss that here. No, I don't want an SR5 to which I would add my own leather, so all of the various aftermarket options are of no interest to me. I'm only trying to find out if I should wait for the '08 Tundras to come out. I wrote to Toyota and got not one, but two lovely form letters with absolutely no information in them.
Thanks...
I would think the crewmax is too new for someone from toyota or a dealership to be talking about future plans for a bigger bed and even if there is plans for it in the nest few year, everyone would be very tight lipped about it.

Think it will depend on the whether they plan on making a 3/4 ton and or a 1 ton. They might hold off on a crewmax with a bigger bed for that sort of truck.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I wrote Double Cab Limited with 8 foot bed, not CrewMax, but thanks for the replies. My Silverado extended cab long bed comes in right around 247 inches and fits into my "standard" size garage with about 4 inches to spare. No, I want to buy a vehicle they already make in a different trim level, with nav/cam/ sonar and all the goodies right from the factory. I am a little concerned about the Titan, but if they will make what I want, I might still try one. I would buy the Toyota without hesitation if I could get the trim level I want, so no need to convince me it's the better truck overall. I just am not happy with the lack of choice at this point. I have had Fords, Chevys, Audis, VWs, Saabs, Jeeps and Porsches (where you can literally order the color of the stiching on the seats if you wish), but I have never purchased a new Toyota. It's really taking some getting used to...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody? Any idea when the '07s will be '08s? Any other tweaking being planned based on early production experiences? Thanks.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Actually, I wrote Double Cab Limited with 8 foot bed, not CrewMax, but thanks for the replies...
They do offer the DC in an 8 foot bed, but you're not referring to the CrewMax? I'm confused...:confused:

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Guys, all he is asking is whether the current DC long bed will be offered in limited trim... he said nothing about a CM...

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Didn't realize they didn't offer the DCLB in Limited trim...Sorry...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts