Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought me some limited 20"s and was real excited that they came with sensors. So I took them to discount tire to switch out wheels and calibrate sensors. I was told that it would be done in 45 minutes so I went home.

Three hours later no phone call, and 15 minutes before closing so I decided to head on over there. Their front door was locked so I had to flag down the guy at the counter to get my truck. He comes out saying "Good thing you came we forgot about your truck haha". :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: On a positive note they only charged me 40 bucks to get it all done and put the old wheels in the bed.

About 5 days after my TPMS starts to blink for about a minute then stays lit. I drove for awhile and it went off. The situation sounded like low tire pressure, but nope their all at 40 psi. A week later the light came back on today and it doesn't look like its going away like before.

Possible conclusions?
-Forgot to press the reset button under the dash?
-Didn't even calibrate?

I have the original invoice and going in tomorrow to ***** about this.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
If it is flashing when the ignition is turned on then one (or more) of the sensors is not talking to the TMPS computer. If they installed new sensors a Techstream is required to store the sensor IDs in the TPMS system.:cool:
Sooo.... either they broke one or they didn't code them into the TPMS correctly.:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
i'd also like to hear what others have for answers...I too just had the 20 inch carved alloys put on today. as i was pulling in my driveway, the tire light started blinking.

on a side note the service guy said they had to calibrate/re-initialize the new sensors. does this sound right? Powerhogger is this what was done to yours? i'm wondering if the calibration cannot take right or be screwed up???

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on a side note the service guy said they had to calibrate/re-initialize the new sensors. does this sound right?
I told them to do exactly that. Its even written on the invoice!!! I'll be one unhappy camper if they didn't

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Here's a description of how the system works that I found on another forum a while back.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice info points sent!

·
Registered
53 Posts
so let me get this straight...when they put on the new rims/tires with the new tpms. all they had to do was just push the reset button for 3 seconds???

I got hosed if thats the case, 25 bucks for 3 seconds work....

Powerhogger do you have the 20 inch carved alloys??? I love the look of them!!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naaa bro I got the limited wheels but almost got the carved ones, they are pretty nice too.

From what I hear is that they just wave a scanner over the tpms and the code shows up. Then program that code in to the computer and then press tpms reset button. You can't just simply press it, we may have or not gotten our moneys worth ootundra :(

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
so let me get this straight...when they put on the new rims/tires with the new tpms. all they had to do was just push the reset button for 3 seconds???

I got hosed if thats the case, 25 bucks for 3 seconds work....
Any time TPMS sensors are changed, the serial numbers of the old sensors have to be removed from the truck's computer (ECU) and the new serial numbers (ID Number) need to be programmed into the ECU. This used to be done only at a Toyota dealer using their TechStream programmer at a cost of about $90.00. Some tire stores are now able to do the programming.

The TPMS reset button resets the ECU to the current pressures in the tire at the time of reset. A deviation, such as a lower pressure or extremely high temperature will trigger the TPMS light on the dash. The reset procedure outlined in your Owner's Manual needs to be done anytime air pressure is changed for any reason. They also recommend doing a reset after a tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Good info!!! Thanks Mendonsy for always having that pdf stuff on hand to help!!! I'd give out points but locked out for now. Man, gone are the days of simply using a tire gauge and your eyeball?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Wait until all the 5 year batteries in these sensors start to die in a couple years. There will be a LOT of upset customers when they find out that it is over $400 to replace the set.:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks leeinaz for the info procedure on reprogramming the new tpms. makes me feel a bit better for them charging me the $25 however my tpms indicator light is on solid now so i'll have to take it in and see whats going on

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went this morning and they told me that they can't do anything about it :mad: Also want me to go to the stealership to get them done. I was quoted for $100 NO THANKS.

I got two options now
1. Trying to contact someone on a Lexus forum who had his sensors done for free at another discount tire that apparently had all the equipment needed.
2. Ignore the damn light is my last resort

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Have you checked/adjusted your tire pressures and done the reset procedure outlined in your Owner's Manual?

You might also remind the store where your tires were installed that TPMS is required by Federal law, and your system was working before they worked on your truck, so if they caused it to fail they should make it right or pay Toyota to fix it. You don't want t get caught by the TPMS Police with your light on. :)

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I hate TPMS!!!! I went to the stealership to have one changed that firestone broke...$192!! Afterward I went to Firestone and they paid me back, but that is outrageous!

I would call a couple of dealerships and see if anyone will do it cheaper. Also, I have heard that some discount tire locations can do the TPMS full service, so I would call a few of them. If you absolutely have to pay the dealer it is a lot of money but you won't have to look at that light anymore and that would be worth it to me. As others have already said you can try the reset, but if it's blinking for one minute and then going solid then there is a malfunction and you won't be able to fix it by resetting.

So just to make sure did they put the tires on the wheels or did the new wheels come with tires already mounted? Just wondering because if they mounted the tires they could have broken a sensor which would explain why you didn't have the light for a while. My light didn't come on for 11 days and then it was intermittant for a few days. The sensor had broken loose and continued to work until it was beaten to death bouncing around the tire. I don't know if any of this will help....

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh I bought the wheels and tires with TPMS in them so I don't think they broke anything. Just simply didn't program crap. Thanks for the suggestions, time to make some phone calls :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
There seems to be so many parts that are 'required by federal law' (be it for example emmission related or something like the TPMS system) that are insanely priced way beyond their actual cost. If they break, you HAVE to replace them. so they really have you by the family jewels.

Really, things like the TMPS should be able to be set by anyone. Some kind of 'techstream lite'. I thought there was already some law that said that you did NOT have to have mainainance done by a frachised dealer. By making it impossible without tools only available at Toyota, it's tying you to Toyota. I would put tire changes under that category. People change over tires to deal with different uses or seasons for the tire, so it's not like its really a 'mod'. Is the TPMS light on something that would cause your vehicle to fail inspection?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is the TPMS light on something that would cause your vehicle to fail inspection?
Good question. Many States have annual safety inspections that are mandatory in order for you to drive the vehicle. I know there have been reports on this Forum of people failing the inspection because the Tundra parking brake will not hold the vehicle still while in Drive. I imagine a TPMS light might cause a problem with a hard nosed inspector. The Toyota TPMS system is pretty basic. Many new cars today will display the pressure in each tire as you drive down the road. A simple yellow light coming on doesn't tell you squat. This whole mess began with all the Firestone tires blowing out on Ford SUV's a few years back. Now Big Brother is looking out for you and your tires!

·
Registered
53 Posts
any update powerhogger?

I am just getting back from vacation and came home to one of the tires being flat so I now know why my light was on...bringing it to the dealership tomorrow. no holes or anything so i wonder if it didn't seal correctly?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing just living with that damn light on now. Dealership is just askin too much for something that takes 10 mins to do. I might just get a oil change and try to slip it in to see if they will do it for free. Hell will proably freeze over before that happens but its worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts