Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I performed the dash light mod last week by changing all my dash LED's to white. They look great!

But I have an issue, I cant get the needles for speed, oil temp and water temp to stay at the correct "0"/starting position. I have reset them to the correct position countless times and they appear to stay there while driving and read correctly. However after I get out of the truck and turn off for about an hour or so or overnight they again drop below the correct "0" position.

Any ideas of what I can do that make sure they stay where they are supposed to? Do I need to reset them to the correct position with the truck off or on?

This is getting frustrating :-(

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Can't offer any help, but I'd like to see some pics!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Did you make sure to push them all the way in?
They seem fragile but dont be afraid to apply preasure, just make sure its straight down, dont wiggle them.

Also compare them to the RPM gauge, see if theres a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you make sure to push them all the way in?
Thanks, yea I checked to make sure the pushed down as far as they could go. They are the same as the RPM and others that are correct. Im starting to think I might need to find a way to re calibrate them.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Your going to have to set the "range" of where the gauges move. Take the cluster apart until you have full 360 degree movement of the needles. Start by moving one of the needles, move until you feel resistance (you will know what im talking about once you do it) do this counter clockwise and clockwise so that you can feel the "range" of where your needles can move.

Turn the needles counter clockwise so that you set "start" of the resistance. Keep in mind the needles move clockwise. Except for battery needle

I know this is confusing but just follow me here..

EX: On the speedometer keep turning the needle counter clockwise so that the neddle stops (hits resistance) at zero, by doing so, you are setting the "start" position. You should be able to go clockwise pretty easily with no resistance until you reach the "end" of the resistance that you just set.

Keep doing this for all the needles but reverse the process for the battery needle. If this is still confusing as hell, just tell me and I'll try to clarifly more.

Note: Don't push the needles all the way in... it inhibits movement
Don't ask me how I know this :heh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TY!! Should I do this with power off (disconnected gauges) or with the gauges plugged in and truck off or truck in acc mode or on?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I like to unplug the negative battery cable whenever doing electrical work to prevent any problems, you could work with them on but wouldn't recommend it!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I had something similar happen on my Gen 1 (2006). I bumped the water temp needle while cleaning out some dust. After that it went too far clockwise when cold, i.e. it showed way too cold. :lol:

That system seems to have "detents" in the needle movement, just like the clicks you get when you turn your fuel cap. In the case of the temp needle, the detents were very weak and made weaker when the needle was errantly moved. In my case the detents were made so weak the needle could not stay it its proper position when the ignition key was turned and the needle swept around for its normal "test run". I would reset it to its proper cold position, but turn the key and it would get screwed up, just like for the brothers above.

What I did to fix it was get a tiny black plastic pin, about 1/4" tall and 1/16" diameter, and Krazy Glue it into a spot near the cold needle position. Now when the needle sweeps back towards the cold direction, it stops against this pin and does not go too far any more.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Ugh I wish I could give you ghetto fix points.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your going to have to set the "range" of where the gauges move. Take the cluster apart until you have full 360 degree movement of the needles. Start by moving one of the needles, move until you feel resistance (you will know what im talking about once you do it) do this counter clockwise and clockwise so that you can feel the "range" of where your needles can move.

Turn the needles counter clockwise so that you set "start" of the resistance. Keep in mind the needles move clockwise. Except for battery needle

I know this is confusing but just follow me here..

EX: On the speedometer keep turning the needle counter clockwise so that the neddle stops (hits resistance) at zero, by doing so, you are setting the "start" position. You should be able to go clockwise pretty easily with no resistance until you reach the "end" of the resistance that you just set.

Keep doing this for all the needles but reverse the process for the battery needle. If this is still confusing as hell, just tell me and I'll try to clarifly more.

Note: Don't push the needles all the way in... it inhibits movement
Don't ask me how I know this :heh:
TY! They stay in the correct position when I first set them and also the whole time Im driving. But as soon as the truck is off for over 10 min or so they again fall below the correct position :frustrated3d: Im wondering if I messed with them too much and have screwed up the mechanism that holds them in place. Any other ideas??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts