Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post for me and I'm sure you will all like it :D...........

I emailed a company with an offer to provide my truck to test a new CAI system that's in production. In return I asked for the CAI for free, I did this all in passing mind you as I thought they would not reply and just delete my email. :rolleyes:

Well 24 hours later the company wants to take up my offer using my truck to test there new CAI and they will give me the CAI free.

I ask you did I make a mistake? I'm really not afraid of dyno runs or what ever they have to do. It's just all of a sudden I'm having day dreams of white smoke and flames from under the hood HAHHAAHHHA!

I mean a complete Cold Air Intake for free would be sweet though.

Any opinions would be nice, and no don't steal my deal, I already talked to the manufacturer a few minutes ago...:D:D

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Why not? I would be very clear up front that any damage done is paid for by them and have a rep with you walk around the vehicle be fore and after you drop it off looking for scratches and dings. A CAI will not hurt to much as in flames and stuff. It is just a hose some mounts and a filter. They may run the truck hard on the dyno but It should be able to take it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool a quick update as the R&D super just called me. They don't need to dyno it yet if at all. I can't wait to go over there and check the place out, the guy was really cool in explaining where there at in production etc.....:tu:

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
What company?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Id just like to know the company also. Im not around any places like that so Im SOL. You can pm the company to me if you dont wanna say publicly. The curiousity is overwhelming :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently spoke with the guys at AEM as they were looking for a 5.7L Tundra for testing. I was considering doing it but he told me he'd need my truck for a couple weeks so that kinda turned me off from it. But it didn't really matter cuz when I told him my truck only has 200 miles, he said he'd like one that's already broken in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To make it fair I will post the name of the company next week, they want my truck for an hour for the install of the bare metal prototype. They also mentioned they might leave it in if fitment is good and have me drive it and check for fault codes etc.........If all is well they will either pull it or leave it in until the pretty powder coated production version is ready. At that point they will install the pretty CAI in my truck for free in exchange for my truck and time. I only emailed them because they are walking distance from my house and I didn't think they would even read my mail...They have had the new tundra in house already so I don't know if they rented one to get the project going and currently don't have a tundra or not I didn't ask I just want the CAI and the word "FREE" is hard to beat LOL! They seem really cool I asked about dynoing my truck they said they might later on, but for now they want it for fitment/function purposes only so I must have emailed at the perfect time because next week they want me there...........

I'm stoked about the whole thing to be honest with you all..........:tu::D

Mod list:

TRD or some brand of CAT back system to flow with the CAI.........

18's with mud terrains due in a few weeks as companies make the bolt pattern/offset available. Most likely will go with black and chrome wheels.

305, Yoko, Toyo or some brand of mud terrains

leveling kit ( strut spacers) for up front to allow room for tires.

Goal: to give my 2wd tundra a beefy prerunner look without lifting it way up...:tu:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

The pre-production version went in today, nice people over there at AIRAID. CAI really makes this motor loud, seems the fire wall is gone when punching the throttle LMAO!

Can't tell to much of a difference, but I believe the TRD or a cat back will let out the extra shes taking in. Runs great seems a little stronger in the MID's, but like I said the stock exhaust is pretty restrictive. I'll update this again soon as the MODS progress on my truck. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, looks great. The OEM box is pretty big, I don't know how restrictive it is. Would be very interested in the updates.

It looks like the K&N, oil type, is it? I had the complete air intake system on my '02 Tundra and I could tell a difference in performance. I also had dual exhaust however that may have made a difference as well.

I did have some minor problems with oil getting on the sensor and getting fault codes on occasion however. I never had it affect my mileage but have heard reports of it doing so.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That looks pretty nice my truck is at aem right now and has been there for a week... I can't wait to drive it with the intake installed they said that it will take them 4 weeks to get it on the market

Yes 2 weeks sounds like a long time but they offered me a rental car and they are giving me 2 intakes 1 for my truck and 1 for my tc I will be getting copies of the dyno before and after

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, looks great. The OEM box is pretty big, I don't know how restrictive it is. Would be very interested in the updates.

It looks like the K&N, oil type, is it? I had the complete air intake system on my '02 Tundra and I could tell a difference in performance. I also had dual exhaust however that may have made a difference as well.

I did have some minor problems with oil getting on the sensor and getting fault codes on occasion however. I never had it affect my mileage but have heard reports of it doing so.
Yes the AIRAID filter is similar to K&N, I got the full factory tour and watched the filters being made. I beleive from what I was told the AIRAID filter is a tad better than the K&N due to ply numbers and materials used.

After seeing them first hand put this proto type in my truck and the perfection which it fits I'm very impressed. We took the truck for a trip around phoenix with this what ever it was hooked up to the OBD and the numbers all looked great. He informed me as we drove the how much and when the computer started to compensate for the increased airflow and it was all perfect, not just good but perfect. Now I gotta decide on which cat back system to do to do. I'm leaninfg towards the TRD only because I know it's currently available and toyota can't b i t c h about it.........:tu:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's what I've learned about CAI's over the last few years:

Intake restriction improvements are what I call "low hanging fruit". Most modern vehicle mfrs work very hard to minimize restriction in the intake, as it's "cheap and easy" HP. Gone are the days when you could gain 20HP from an intake change.

Oil/gauze filter elements can play havoc with hot-wire style Mass Air Flow sensors that are used on most modern engines. They can deposit a mist of oil on the sensor, which in many cases will reduce HP and mileage over time. Clean element with carb cleaner if you see a mileage drop or sluggish performance.

Oil/gauze will not filter as well as OEM paper elements. This was long suspected, and group of enthusiasts got together and did impartial testing of elements. They used a high flow squirrel cage fan, and introduced a known weight of dust for a specific time duration, and weighed the elements. OEM paper trapped more than any of the gauze or foam elements, without significant restriction at normal WOT airflow levels. Flow gains were seen starting at about 50% over stock airflow.

Back to back dyno testing often reveals exaggerated claims. I tested the AirRaid system on a stock Duramax engine, switching back and forth between the stock system and the AirRaid on the dyno. It did not do much. Slight gain in peak HP (+3hp) was offset by slight loss at midrange (-4hp). Average area under the curve was a wash.

PITA dealers will sometimes give you grief for CAI's, especially if there are trouble codes that can be tied MAF problems. Whether or not the CAI is to blame. But always remove mods you can before visiting a dealer that you are not sure about.

Is there any good news? They will make a difference when you dial up the power to high levels. Supercharged and turbocharged engines (non-OEM) will see significant gains with them, or with factory turbo/supercharged engines that have had the boost cranked up. 15rwhp at 675rwhp in one test I did.

Lastly, you will hear alot of folk claiming they put on a CAI and their truck is now a rocketship. You will seldom see a timeslip or dyno sheet to support their claims.

And yes, I have an AirRaid on our Blue truck. But it is running about 50% higher boost than stock. It only makes a small difference (+5hp), but small changes add up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what I've learned about CAI's over the last few years:

Intake restriction improvements are what I call "low hanging fruit". Most modern vehicle mfrs work very hard to minimize restriction in the intake, as it's "cheap and easy" HP. Gone are the days when you could gain 20HP from an intake change.

Oil/gauze filter elements can play havoc with hot-wire style Mass Air Flow sensors that are used on most modern engines. They can deposit a mist of oil on the sensor, which in many cases will reduce HP and mileage over time. Clean element with carb cleaner if you see a mileage drop or sluggish performance.

Oil/gauze will not filter as well as OEM paper elements. This was long suspected, and group of enthusiasts got together and did impartial testing of elements. They used a high flow squirrel cage fan, and introduced a known weight of dust for a specific time duration, and weighed the elements. OEM paper trapped more than any of the gauze or foam elements, without significant restriction at normal WOT airflow levels. Flow gains were seen starting at about 50% over stock airflow.

Back to back dyno testing often reveals exaggerated claims. I tested the AirRaid system on a stock Duramax engine, switching back and forth between the stock system and the AirRaid on the dyno. It did not do much. Slight gain in peak HP (+3hp) was offset by slight loss at midrange (-4hp). Average area under the curve was a wash.

PITA dealers will sometimes give you grief for CAI's, especially if there are trouble codes that can be tied MAF problems. Whether or not the CAI is to blame. But always remove mods you can before visiting a dealer that you are not sure about.

Is there any good news? They will make a difference when you dial up the power to high levels. Supercharged and turbocharged engines (non-OEM) will see significant gains with them, or with factory turbo/supercharged engines that have had the boost cranked up. 15rwhp at 675rwhp in one test I did.

Lastly, you will hear alot of folk claiming they put on a CAI and their truck is now a rocketship. You will seldom see a timeslip or dyno sheet to support their claims.

And yes, I have an AirRaid on our Blue truck. But it is running about 50% higher boost than stock. It only makes a small difference (+5hp), but small changes add up.
Blah blah blah, funny thing is the tundra comes with a oil/guaze ($90.00) stock. Relax it's only an experiment this is costing me zero as I volunteered my truck for it. Toyota makes there own(TRD)version of this same product so I don't get why you had to go into 5 fackin paragraphs of half-azz opinionated non-scientific bull sheee-iyte.............Why are you here again? is it because your einstien or your a chevy owner?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like the look of your airraid intake, i'm getting a trd intake and dual exhuast from the factory, is that the one you were referring to being already oiled or the absolute stock intake?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd be real careful with the Airaid and K&N stuff. I know people swear by them but I have seen test where they are less than good at stopping debris from entering the intake. IMO, the AFE stuff is a lttle better quality.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blah blah blah, funny thing is the tundra comes with a oil/guaze ($90.00) stock. Relax it's only an experiment this is costing me zero as I volunteered my truck for it. Toyota makes there own(TRD)version of this same product so I don't get why you had to go into 5 fackin paragraphs of half-azz opinionated non-scientific bull sheee-iyte.............Why are you here again? is it because your einstien or your a chevy owner?
I defer to your "science".

It go VROOM!! :D

Man if I knew testing was that simple, I'd have saved alot of money!

BTW, drilling holes in the muffler or draining out the engine oil makes more sound as well. I haven't tested those though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the look of your airaid intake, I'm getting a trd intake and dual exhaust from the factory, is that the one you were referring to being already oiled or the absolute stock intake?
The stock TRD filter that the tundra comes with in the box is a square oil/gauze filter.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
What? :td: Here's my five paragraphs, which you're probably gonna skip anyway, but maybe someone will read and take note:

McRat obviously knows what he's talking about, and doesn't need to use "half-azz" euphemisms to sneak worthless trash talk past the language filter in order to make his point.

How do I know what he's talking about? Easy...we (and most other forums) have been through this years ago...search around, you'll find it. You really think your truck is that different because it's your truck? Intake, cats and exhaust...particularly in imported vehicles are very close to optimum tune already. Toyota even went the extra mile on the 4.0L V6 to make sure everyone knew they spent time tuning the intake for efficiency from the factory. Every CAI and high-flow filter on the 4.7L showed LOSSES, even drop-in filters, at low rpm, with a negligable gain in open loop operation due to the overly rich mix being leaned by the additional airflow. Toyota isn't a bunch of hacks. If the stock filter is oiled gauze, maybe it's worth your time to compare it to other, non-OEM, oiled gauze before you claim they're all equal. McRat's comment regarding paper vs oiled gauze/foam is because current aftermarket oiled units are more porous than paper. Maybe the Toyota unit is different, but you're not able to say it's the same or different without a scientific comparison.

Free does not mean good. Airaid isn't a bunch of hacks either, but realize they're starting with a near-perfect system in the first place, and making products for a market that's usually more concerned with the appearance of performance than actual increases in torque. The majority of CAIs decrease torque at the bottom end...feel free to search the forums for why. You'll eventually find comparison studies on places like bobistheoilguy.com...you'll probably even find dyno charts on a variety of vehicles.

Great, you got it free. It might actually improve your torque. We'll see when you post the dyno graphs...not the peak numbers, the entire graph. If the graph doesn't start until the powerband on the 5.7, ask about performance at lower RPM. Also look at mid-band performance and WOT performance...if this engine is anything at all like Toyota's past engines, it will run rich in open loop, and you'll see a gain there. It will initially run lean in closed loop, probably lose torque at the bottom, slowly regain until open loop, and then slowly lose the gains over the entire range as the engine runs rich to self-protect from the changes it sees between the MAF and the O2 sensors due to the intake.

Think I'm nuts? Maybe this is all pseudoscience or maybe I really drive a Ford and I'm just ragging on your sweet deal? Nope...just trying to make sure everyone reading this thread understands the difference between a noisy engine and a powerful engine, and the difference between trolls and scientific reasoning. They can read my comments about trolls on that trade-in thread.

Enjoy your intake. In the end, if you are interested in a noisy engine, it will work out for you if you don't care about performance numbers. If you ARE interested in performance, let's all look over the dyno charts when they're available, if they actually release them to you. I bet they don't...and if they do, they're gonna be trimmed and stretched to highlight only the gains. If they show dyno numbers below 50% redline I'll be pleasantly surprised. Nobody is trashing your deal or your intake...just pointing out that there are many known caveats to CAI systems, particularly in modern vehicles, and that few people are willing or able to understand them beyond the noise and the bling...many CAI manufacturers have been more or less abusing that trend for years, rightly assuming that no guy is gonna admit he made a mistake spending two bills on something shiny for his wheels, and that everyone else is gonna floor the pedal and assume the first reading from the butt dyno is correct.

I don't suppose anyone makes a "throttle body spacer" for the 5.7 yet...

-Sean

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Beside the fact, you asked the question (see title of thread). Don't get pissed and deffensive when someone says "maybe" or "yes" and then backs it up with some sort of data.

Did I think you made a mistake, no, it is free and you can reverse it. Hell if it doesn't work for you, Ebay it when you get the final product. You are ahead no matter how you look at it.

Me, I have found I can get the same response and results from drilling 20 - 3/4" holes in the airbox.:D :tu: :clown:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup, I wasn't trying to get anyone upset. I've probably spent $2000 in dyno rental alone over the last 7 years testing various intakes on various gas and diesel engines.

I'd love to see an intake that makes big gains, because it's a cheap and easy modification, and I'm still hunting.

Hopefully the AirRaid will show a gain on the 5.7, but sadly the odds are against it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts