Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You didn't upset me at all Mcrat, you'd know if I was upset I'd have mispelled everything LOL!

I agree with most you have said, but I didn't title my thread to mean mistake as in putting the CAI in the truck. I meant was I making a mistake volunterring my truck to potential dyno abuse etc.

I have never liked K&N filters, but I figured if the stock filter is oil/gauze removing the box and adding a divider ah la AIRAID it can't be all that bad. However it's funny Devinsixtyseven mentioned a noisey engine. I've decided after 24hours that I don't want a noisey truck, I don't want to ad a cat back to possibly improve any gains a CAI might give. So I'm putting the stock box back in, see I didn't skip your 5 paragraphs dev, I was actually ahead of you on the noise thing :tu::D

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
didn't title my thread to mean mistake as in putting the CAI in the truck. I meant was I making a mistake volunterring my truck to potential dyno abuse etc.
Ehhh, no mistake...it's very similar to what the DMV does if you're in a state that requires a tailpipe sniffer on a chassis dyno. The best part is, you'll get a stock baseline dyno that will be useful for everyone with a 5.7L! That's worth it right there :tu:.
Noisey engine. I've decided after 24hours that I don't want a noisey truck, I don't want to ad a cat back to possibly improve any gains a CAI might give. So I'm putting the stock box back in, see I didn't skip your 5 paragraphs dev, I was actually ahead of you on the noise thing :tu::D
LOL! You shoulda seen the mob scene when the 1st gens came out, I would swear every one of us bought a throttle body spacer for 100$ (and I was a student at the time...big money :eek:! on top of a truck I paid for myself!) or a CAI for 200$ and then glumly ditched them six months later when we realized they did nothing but make the engine louder. Did the same thing with K&N drop in filters...and later with a True Flow "CAI"...in the end, I'm running the True Flow, but in all honesty I'm wondering if it's not easier to run OEM paper than clean the True Flow and hope it works out. The throttle body is at least as clean with the TF as with paper, at least to the eye. I wonder how the oil is...my eye can't see shades of filthy.

Something you may find interesting...if you're running a true cold air intake--ram air, intercooler, intake to the wheel well--vs an intake under the hood (that's hot air, not cold ;)...hence True Flow's design) you'll still see an initial low end torque loss on the 4.7L. What negated the loss was timing changes from a Unichip, combined with an open loop map that made use of the airflow modifications--headers, exhaust, CAI (real CAI). Jack at Unichip was extremely helpful with the 4.7L, if you're interested in a torque bump definately contact the Unichip guys.

-Sean

21 - 22 of 22 Posts