Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this cellphone photo from one of the new CrewMax commercials. It's the one that says "You wanted something with a little more meat on its bones. Sweet Mercy". Do you notice anything?

Is it me or is the bed longer?

PS This is not a letterbox TV. It's a regular aspect flat panel Sony Wega 15" TV.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the image looks slightly vertically compressed, also. My tv is a regular Sony 15 inch (or something) flat screen 4:3 aspect ratio set, not letterbox, watching Mythbusters on the Discovery channel via Tivo. I have never noticed any kind of distortion of the image.

I guess the key is whether or not the image in the commercial is intentionally vertically compressed to make the truck & bed look longer or not. I think it is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
...I guess the key is whether or not the image in the commercial is intentionally vertically compressed to make the truck & bed look longer or not. I think it is.
I really don't think so. The TV is a letterbox TV set to 'stretch' mode hence all 4:3 analog images will appear stretched. The correct setting would be to not stretch the image but TV manufacturers include the stretch setting so folks don't feel slighted with the black bars on the left and right. No deception here, just a result of High Def broadcasts not being standard yet, (while everyone goes out and buys HDTVs...)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a regular aspect ratio TV. Next time you see this commercial, see if the truck looks vertically compressed to you.

I think what happened is that this commercial, with normal dimensions, was put in front of a focus group like practically all commercials are and people were asked "What do you think about this truck?" and a lot of guys said "The bed is kind of small." This would be a normal reaction to looking at the CrewMax for the first time but it probably freaked some people out at the ad agency or Toyota. So, they fixed it.

I'm NOT criticizing the CrewMax bed. I think it's fine. I've ordered one. I just noticed when I saw the commercial that the truck looked a little different - less bulbous.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's a regular aspect ratio TV. Next time you see this commercial, see if the truck looks vertically compressed to you.

I think what happened is that this commercial, with normal dimensions, was put in front of a focus group like practically all commercials are and people were asked "What do you think about this truck?" and a lot of guys said "The bed is kind of small." This would be a normal reaction to looking at the CrewMax for the first time but it probably freaked some people out at the ad agency or Toyota. So, they fixed it.

I'm NOT criticizing the CrewMax bed. I think it's fine. I've ordered one. I just noticed when I saw the commercial that the truck looked a little different - less bulbous.
I see your point and I suppose it's very plausible but silly in that a few seconds of a picture on a commercial will not prevent the potential buyer from seeing the short bed in the metal.

Aspect ratios now in movies, TV, etc. are getting annoying. I wish the industry would settle on one format already. Everything in my house is now 16:9 but every movie I rent seems to have its own idea of what the ratio should be. Anamorphic, 1:185:1, super thin slit wide screen, I'm playing with the 'ratio' button all the time now. If I had a rocket launcher...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's kind of interesting. I'm sure, though, that Toyota and its ad agency takes this stuff VERY seriously. That few seconds of image is what they pay millions of dollars for in a TV ad campaign so there are no accidents. It's a finely honed message.

The message, in my opinion, is that they realize that the initial perception of the CrewMax often is that the bed is kind of short. They don't want you to think that. Of course, you will see it in person if you go on the lot. However, by the, you will also be able to see and sit in the huge cab that will sell you on the CrewMax.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the TV is a widescreen model that would explain the slightly longer appearance

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think it's kind of interesting. I'm sure, though, that Toyota and its ad agency takes this stuff VERY seriously. That few seconds of image is what they pay millions of dollars for in a TV ad campaign so there are no accidents. It's a finely honed message.

The message, in my opinion, is that they realize that the initial perception of the CrewMax often is that the bed is kind of short. They don't want you to think that. Of course, you will see it in person if you go on the lot. However, by the, you will also be able to see and sit in the huge cab that will sell you on the CrewMax.
Cut it out, you're making me want a crewmax now! I love my DC, I love my DC, I love my DC....

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know that Toyota people monitor these forums so let me say that enhancing an image for an ad is done all the time. CBS made Katie Couric skinnier in an ad last Fall:

However, it was noticed by someone on the internet with nothing better to do :eek: and the publicity was kind of embarrassing for everyone involved. Basically, she had to answer questions about why she looks wider in real life. I'll be interested to see if subsequent airings of the CrewMax commercial look different or not. I mostly watch Tivo so I'll try to capture the image again.

So, if you're out there Toyota Motor Sales let me assure you that I do have an open mind. If I were to have available to me an outrageously loaded CrewMax Limited in, say, Pyrite/Red Rock Leather in my driveway for detailed ongoing measuring purposes (3 years would be sufficient) I just might find out that I was completely wrong about this and will apologize profusely for the error. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts