Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Tundra's back in 2008 but the DC limited didn't have some options I was looking for, so ended up getting my dream truck and first diesel 08 F250 6.4L. I love the truck but not crazy about the mileage and the fun factor just isn't there when driving. I tend to drive my trucks like sports cars here and there :)

I noticed the 2010 tundra's have the options the 08 was missing not sure I would jump in one but just thought I would ask the question diesel to tundra are you happy?

At this point I don't tow anything it's just a daily driver.

Thanks
:tu:

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I was shopping for my truck, I was originally set on a diesel Super Duty. I was not even considering the Tundra; I am so glad I checked out the Tundra. I use mine as my daily driver and some light towing (6X10 utility trailer w/2 quads, mulch, dirt etc.); tows it almost like there is no load. I couldn't justify the added costs of diesel motor, fuel, maint costs etc. and not use it for heavy hauling. The Tundra ride is way better than a solid axle 3/4 ton truck. The 5.7 motor is very peppy stock; if you want sports car, TRD super charge it. :) I am very happy with my tundra; I still like the Super Duty's, but I don't need that much truck. Check with the dealer, they may let you do an extended test with a new Tundra.

·
Registered
179 Posts
when i quit pulling heavy i moved out of the diesel arena and have never looked back. i no longer need a 3/4 ton truck and this fits the bill nicely.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The super duty doesn't have near the pick up and go as the tundra. But then again the newer powerstrokes haven't been muc to talk about. Now a cummins is another strory. "I'd rather be cummin than stroking" (still one of the best bumperstickers)

I raced a duramax on the highway, poor guy had no chance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I to was shopping for a super duty. Then one day my wife and I took her 4 runner in for an oil change. While I was waiting I took a look at the Tunda. Three hours later I drove off the lot with an 08 5.7 4X4 upgraded SR5. Never thought it would happen. My dad and I have been ford trucks since I could chew on carpet hair and knew what I thought was all about thier trucks. It only took one visit. I agree with Gutpyle, give it a test drive you might not look back too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and more are fine. I actually drove the 2008 tundra's but couldn't get some important options(to me at least) at that time and the dealer wouldn't drop 1K. So got the F250 and it's a good truck just don't tow heavy with it and it's hard to drive like a sports car when I want :)

Then I noticed for 2010 the DC Tundra's now have the options I was looking for back in 08. So maybe I'll go try one but I would probably loose my backside if I had to trade the F250.

I think the mileage would be about the same as I get in the F250 which is 13 all around and maybe 15 highway.

Thanks again for the info. :tu:

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
Damn....I dream about owning an F250....just can't justify the cost......that is until their diesel gets good mileage again.

The Superduty is by far the best looking truck in my eye, but too much truck for me right now, so I understand your problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I traded in an 07 GMC 2500 Duramax for my Tundra and stock for stock theres no competition, the Tundra is a much more entertaining truck to drive. That being said, I do still wish I had the Duramax every now and than due to the tuning potential of a diesel. If you still really like the F-250, my advice would be stick with it because you'll lose your *** trading it in now. If you're looking for better mileage and more power, ditch the dpf, get a turbo back exhaust, intake and SCT custom tune. With those 3 mods, you'll be looking at better mileage, high 13s in 1/4 and 500rwhp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I traded my 08 F-250 Super Duty 6.4L for a 2010 Tundra DC w/ the 5.7L just a few weeks ago. I tow a travel trailer 5 or 6 times a year, but most of the time I used my Powerstroke as a daily driver. My mileage was similar to what you are seeing which was disappointing after paying the $6K extra for the diesel. It pulled like crazy, but it was punishing to drive it back and forth to work. I love my Tundra and find it a lot more comfortable to drive and it's definitely easier to park in the parking garage at the office. I had it off road this weekend and found it to feel more solid than my Ford. No creaks or pops whatsoever. I'm also getting much better mileage out of my Tundra. I was seeing about 13.5 mpg in mixed driving with the Ford and thus far, I'm seeing 16.5-17 mpg in the Tundra doing the exact same driving routine. On the highway, it seems to be about sixes with the diesel, but it's a lot better in stop and go. Now I haven't pulled my trailer yet with the Tundra, so I'm anxious to see how it does. I know it won't compare to the torque of the Powerstroke, but I'm optimistic that it will handle it ok.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I got out of my 07 F350 SRW FX4 CC and into my 08 Tundra and have been grinning ever since......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information guys and I have thought about doing the exhaust and tuner mods to the truck to improve mileage and performance. The only problem I have with it is if it has to go in for warranty work I have to put everything back to stock not sure I want to go through all that mess. I have been researching it though.

I was almost in a 2008 DC and at the time the tundra blew away my 06 F150 in power with the 5.7 and 6 speed.

The minor options I couldn't get in the 08 DC were power horizontal sliding rear window, it's a feature I like in a big truck and I use it a alot. The other option was memory driver seating for when the wife drives here and there. I have a heck of a time getting my seat to where I want it and once it's there I want to be able to keep it there no matter who drives the truck. So two minor things but they kept me from buying a Tundra even though the engine and tranny were fun to drive.

Now I see that Toyota is offering both those simple options for 2010 DCs.

So there you have it :)

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
As for MPG you will probably do a little better in the 5.7. I average about 16.3 since inception. That is mixed hwy and city driving and also getting into occasionally:devil: If you end up super-charging then that will be a different story:biggrin1:

·
Registered
570 Posts
it kills me there isn't a Tundra diesel on the horizon. I would switch tomorrow if I could have this truck in diesel. Before this Tundra, my last two trucks were Ford diesels. This truck has plenty of power, but I do miss the more consistent mileage of a diesel.

does that help?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would ask the question diesel to tundra are you happy?
:tu:
Yup.

I think I am done with diesels. Drove a new F350 the other day and the regen cycle ran for about 45 minutes straight on the highway. Not bad if you're driving but is it true that if you wanna shut down you can't while the cleanser is on? Plus I really don't need that capacity and the diesel, I can tow what I need to tow with my Tundra. Of course the Tundra rides better too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wish Toyota would get off the couch and make a 1-ton diesel. Actually Toyota already has a diesel that will fit into a Tundra, just look at a new Landcruiser with a diesel. It has 286 hp and 479 ft/lbs torque and get 23 mpg. You can thank the tree huggers for not having this option on a 1/2 ton Tundra.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts