Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing my front and rear differential fluids and the transfer case fluid in the near future and have some questions for those who may be able to help me. The service manual states the following types and amounts of oil:

Front diff: 1.22 qts. Hypoid gear oil, API GL-5, SAE 75W-90

Rear diff: 3.12 qts. Hypoid gear oil, API GL-5,
above (0 deg. F) SAE 90
below (0 deg. F) SAE 80W or 80W-90

Transfer case: 1.1 qts. API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90

Tools needed: 24mm socket and a 12mm allen wrench or socket (or torx T55), and some type of fluid transfer pump.

It seems after reading other treads that some people find the diffs. require more than the amounts in the manual and some people use the same type of oil in both diffs. and the transfer case.

I would like to change these with synthetic fluids if possible.
I've read good reviews on Amsoil products has anyone used this? Although from they're website I don't see a an SAE 90 for the rear application, they just have a 80W-90.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could confirm the types and amounts I listed above, and if anyone has any good info. on the best brands of oil out there. Thanks in advance...

Brian

I

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Brian's Toy said:
I plan on changing my front and rear differential fluids and the transfer case fluid in the near future and have some questions for those who may be able to help me. The service manual states the following types and amounts of oil:

above (0 deg. F) SAE 90

Tools needed: 24mm socket and a 12mm allen wrench or socket (or torx T55), and some type of fluid transfer pump.

It seems after reading other treads that some people find the diffs. require more than the amounts in the manual and some people use the same type of oil in both diffs. and the transfer case.

I've read good reviews on Amsoil products has anyone used this? Although from they're website I don't see a an SAE 90 for the rear application, they just have a 80W-90.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could confirm the types and amounts I listed above, and if anyone has any good info. on the best brands of oil out there. Thanks in advance...

Brian

I
Brian, use Amsoil's series 2000 75-90 everywhere. It's an interesting blue/green color. Still has the strong sulfur smell though. If you don't use Amsoil, I'd use Redline.

I used more fluid than Toyota listed, but then too, I flush the old fluid out with some new fluid while the drain plug is still out. This way I know that the old fluid is as much replaced as possible.

A little of the old stuff will remain laying on the bottom unless you do this. Including my little "flush", I used a little less than 6 quarts and I still have to do the front diff yet (quart and a half there). I flush the diff and transfer case until clean fluid starts to run out. Then I put the drain plug back in and fill it up.

I got 7 quarts total when I started but I think that I'm going to pick up another quart before I do the front. That will allow me to flush that one too. Otherwise I'll only have enough to fill it exactly. Since I've only got about a quart and a half left.

Alan

·
Registered
544 Posts
Brian,
When you remove the drain plugs don't be alarmed to find metal shavings on the magnet – they’re not from your thrust bearings – they are metal shavings left over from the Indiana boys cutting the plugholes and not cleaning up after themselves. Like Alan said - synthetic 75/90 is the way to go and if you decide on Amsoil, go with the 2000 series.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
staggarlee said:
Do you need to add LSD additive to Amsoil 2000 series?
It's probably on Amsoil's site. But I don't think you need any additional additives. I wish that I had a limited slip so that I could answer this first hand. :cry:

Alan

·
Registered
544 Posts
staggarlee said:
Do you need to add LSD additive to Amsoil 2000 series?
No you do not - Amsoil 2000 gear lube supplies limited slip performance without any type of aftermarket limited slip additives. That's gospel.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Brian's Toy said:
The front diff is a 10mm allen, not a 12mm. The fluid xfer pump can be purchased at any auto store for about $4 or $5. Oh, and make sure you get a pump that works on the type of jug/bottle of oil you have (ie. quart vs. gallon)...they are two different sizes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
What do you guys think of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil? I have a limited slip diff. in my 4x4 and use the stuff because its cheaper and auto parts stores carry it and it also says it has the limited slip additive. Is AMSOIL that much better and how much do you guys pay for a quart????

Here are the MOBIL 1 Specs:
Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lubricant

Product Description

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is an Indy 500-certified, multipurpose gear oil. It is manufactured from synthesized hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed extreme- pressure, limited-slip, sulfur-phosphorus additive package.

The synthesized hydrocarbons are similar to, and fully compatible with, conventional petroleum oils. However, they have better thermal and oxidation stability, higher inherent viscosity index (VIs), extremely low pour points, and improved low-temperature fluidity. They provide the needed viscosity-temperature for wide temperature applications without VI improvers. Therefore, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is completely shear stable, even under severe shearing in hypoid and other automotive gears.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant exceeds the most severe requirements for all automobile and truck rear axles. It is recommended for year-round service down to -50°F (-46°C). It reduces wear and spalling under the high-speed, high torque and high-horsepower conditions in competitive racing and high-performance cars. The product offers maximum resistance to oil breakdown from heat and high-speed operation, thereby extending service life. It reduces chatter in limited-slip differentials. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant contributes to improved fuel economy when used with synthetic Mobil 1 or Mobil Delvac 1 engine oils.

Application

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended. It should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level.

Advantages

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant provides the following advantages and benefits:

Outperforms all conventional gear lubricants
Maximum protection of differentials
Exceeds requirements of all automobile and truck rear axles
Minimizes wear and spalling in racing and high-performance cars
Subzero flow down to -50°F (-46°C)
Maximum resistance to breakdown from heat and extended high speed
Excellent limited-slip performance
Extended service life
Improved vehicle fuel economy
Indy 500-certified performance

Typical Characteristics

Physical characteristics are listed in the table. Those not shown as maximum or minimum are typical and may vary slightly.

Mobil 1
Synthetic Gear Lubricant
Product Number 51130-3
SAE Number 75W-90
Gravity, API 27.0
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C (°F), min 175 (347)
Pour Point, °C (°F), max -46 (-50)
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C
cSt at 100°C
cP at -40°C (-40°F) 106
Viscosity Index 150

Health & Safety

Based on available toxicological information, it has been determined that this product poses no significant health risk when used and handled properly. Information on use and handling, as well as health and safety information, can be found in the Material Safety Data Sheet which can be obtained from your local distributor; via the Internet on http://www.mobil.com.

For additional technical information or to identify the nearest U.S. Mobil supply source, call 1-800-662-4525.

Exxon Mobil Corporation
TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS
3225 Gallows Road, Fairfax, Virgina 22037-0001 Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lubricant
PDS A-23 5396061 (5/02)
© Copyright 1986-2002 All rights reserved.
Due to continual product research and development, the information contained herein is subject to changes without notification.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Well, here's the same info from AMSOIL. Personally, I use AMZOIL 'cuz it has a nice purty color. Too, technically, once you put AMSOIL in a differential (non-commercial use) you never have to drain it; but I don't know that I'd follow that. But most of the AMSOIL stuff is designed super duty for long, long life usage. For the most part their synthetics last five times longer than a conventional oil in the same usage. That's really huge in a transmission.

I think Mobil 1 is easier to get and will be more than superior enough for normal or even heavy duty usage. However, I do use AMSOIL because I think it's a little better in heat (I really don't care about low temp performance, I don't live in Siberia). But the real reason I use AMSOIL vs Redline is that I can actually get it cheaper than I can Redline (which would be my other choice). Otherwise I'd probably use Redline. Might be a wash there.

I've run Mobil1 products in all my past vehicles and I've been more than happy. The only thing I *really* didn't like was how their grease seperated. AMSOIL does too, to some degree but not nearly as bad. I'd have so much fluid dripping out of a grease gun sitting on shelf with Mobil1 that I had to put it in a plastic bag to contain the mess. It looks like they've change their grease though since I last bought a tube. Completely different color. Still, I use AMSOIL moly grease for everything too. They do have a non-moly series 2000 grease that I might try (might not need to use moly, it's so good).

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is a race-proven extreme pressure lubricant engineered to meet the severe high-load and high-temperature demands of contemporary race and commercial vehicle differentials and gear-lube equipped transmissions. It provides the superior friction, heat and load control demanded by race drivers, the superior fuel economy required by commercial vehicle operators and the superior performance sought by all motorists.

Friction Reduction and Fuel Economy

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube offers an exceptionally low coefficient of friction for superior power transfer, heat control and fuel economy.

In fact, independent testing shows class 8 vehicles with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube in the differentials obtained up to 4.83 percent more mpg than vehicles equipped with another popular gear lube.

High Load and Extreme Pressure Performance

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube promotes long life for gears, including those subject to high loads and severe service. The superior film strength of its synthetic basestock ensures protection from wear for gears operating with full-film lubrication. Top-quality extreme pressure agents ensure protection from wear for gears operating without full-film lubrication.

High Temperature Performance

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube offer the thermal stability and durability, oxidation resistance and shear stability required for optimal protection in the hot environments in which race and commercial vehicle gears operate. Thermal stability and oxidation resistance keep gears and seals clean by inhibiting the heat-induced formation of sludge and deposits. Thermal durability protects gears from physical damage by preventing heat-induced failure of anti-wear chemistry. Shear stability helps prevent metal-to-metal contact and wear in high-temperature operations.

Low Temperature Protection

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is ideally suited for low temperature applications (see graph). Its low temperature fluidity ensures excellent low temperature performance, protection and fuel economy.

Seal Compatibility and Rust and Foam Inhibition

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube forms a barrier on gear surfaces that seals out water to inhibit rust and corrosion. Foam inhibitors ensure protection in conditions that favor lubricant foaming and consequent metal-to-metal contact and wear.

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube has been shown to help seals perform better and last longer.

APPLICATIONS

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:

API MT-1, GL-2 THROUGH GL-5
MIL-PRF-2105E
MACK GO-J, GO-J PLUS
CHRYSLER MS-9070
GM 12346190
FORD M2C-201-A
ROCKWELL 0-76-E
EATON PS-037A, PS-109

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube provides limited slip performance. Although generally not necessary, original equipment manufacturers' limited slip additives may be used in conjunction with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.

NOTE: Most vehicle manufacturers recommend driving a vehicle in tight figure "8" patterns eight to ten times after changing limited slip lubricants.

INSTALLATION

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is fully compatible with other fluids used in geared applications. To install AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube, drain the fluid in the system and install the AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.

SERVICE LIFE

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube lasts longer than conventional petroleum gear lubes do. In non-commercial passenger vehicles operated under normal conditions, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube does not have to be drained. In cases of severe water or dirt contamination, a chemical lube analysis can determine if the gear lube is still serviceable.

In commercial vehicles operated under normal conditions, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube may be used up to five times longer than petroleum gear lubes may be used.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-90 (TGR)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100° C, cSt (ASTM D445) 15.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40° C, cSt (ASTM D445) 113.5
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 146
Flash Point, °C [°F] (ASTM D92) 198 [388]
Fire Point, °C [°F] (ASTM D92) 216 [421]
Pour Point, °C [°F] (ASTM D97) -46 [-51]
Brookfield Viscosity, @ -40°C [-40°F], cP (ASTM D3829) 35,000
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (DIN 51581) 11.4
Four Ball Wear Test, scar diameter in mm (ASTM D4172B: 40 kgf, 150° C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) 0.40

puppychop3 said:
What do you guys think of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil? I have a limited slip diff. in my 4x4 and use the stuff because its cheaper and auto parts stores carry it and it also says it has the limited slip additive. Is AMSOIL that much better and how much do you guys pay for a quart????

Here are the MOBIL 1 Specs:
Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lubricant

Product Description

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is an Indy 500-certified, multipurpose gear oil. It is manufactured from synthesized hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed extreme- pressure, limited-slip, sulfur-phosphorus additive package.

The synthesized hydrocarbons are similar to, and fully compatible with, conventional petroleum oils. However, they have better thermal and oxidation stability, higher inherent viscosity index (VIs), extremely low pour points, and improved low-temperature fluidity. They provide the needed viscosity-temperature for wide temperature applications without VI improvers. Therefore, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is completely shear stable, even under severe shearing in hypoid and other automotive gears.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant exceeds the most severe requirements for all automobile and truck rear axles. It is recommended for year-round service down to -50°F (-46°C). It reduces wear and spalling under the high-speed, high torque and high-horsepower conditions in competitive racing and high-performance cars. The product offers maximum resistance to oil breakdown from heat and high-speed operation, thereby extending service life. It reduces chatter in limited-slip differentials. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant contributes to improved fuel economy when used with synthetic Mobil 1 or Mobil Delvac 1 engine oils.

Application

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended. It should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level.

Advantages

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant provides the following advantages and benefits:

Outperforms all conventional gear lubricants
Maximum protection of differentials
Exceeds requirements of all automobile and truck rear axles
Minimizes wear and spalling in racing and high-performance cars
Subzero flow down to -50°F (-46°C)
Maximum resistance to breakdown from heat and extended high speed
Excellent limited-slip performance
Extended service life
Improved vehicle fuel economy
Indy 500-certified performance

Typical Characteristics

Physical characteristics are listed in the table. Those not shown as maximum or minimum are typical and may vary slightly.

Mobil 1
Synthetic Gear Lubricant
Product Number 51130-3
SAE Number 75W-90
Gravity, API 27.0
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C (°F), min 175 (347)
Pour Point, °C (°F), max -46 (-50)
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C
cSt at 100°C
cP at -40°C (-40°F) 106
Viscosity Index 150

Health & Safety

Based on available toxicological information, it has been determined that this product poses no significant health risk when used and handled properly. Information on use and handling, as well as health and safety information, can be found in the Material Safety Data Sheet which can be obtained from your local distributor; via the Internet on http://www.mobil.com.

For additional technical information or to identify the nearest U.S. Mobil supply source, call 1-800-662-4525.

Exxon Mobil Corporation
TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS
3225 Gallows Road, Fairfax, Virgina 22037-0001 Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lubricant
PDS A-23 5396061 (5/02)
© Copyright 1986-2002 All rights reserved.
Due to continual product research and development, the information contained herein is subject to changes without notification.

·
Registered
138 Posts
AMSOIL vs. MOBIL 1

Mobil 1 has a better viscosity index (150 vs. 146) - the higher number the better

Amsoil has a better flashpoint (198 vs. 175) - the higher the number the better

They are both tied for pour point (-46) the lower the number the better.

·
Registered
23 Posts

above (0 deg. F) SAE 90

Brian

I
Does it have to say Hypoid gear oil or is GL5 ok?I'm having trouble finding the Hypoid gear oil but am finding plenty that says GL5,My owners manual says API GL5 SAE80 HYPOID GEAR OIL,Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brian, use Amsoil's series 2000 75-90 everywhere. It's an interesting blue/green color. Still has the strong sulfur smell though. If you don't use Amsoil, I'd use Redline.

I used more fluid than Toyota listed, but then too, I flush the old fluid out with some new fluid while the drain plug is still out. This way I know that the old fluid is as much replaced as possible.

A little of the old stuff will remain laying on the bottom unless you do this. Including my little "flush", I used a little less than 6 quarts and I still have to do the front diff yet (quart and a half there Rachat de crédit plus trésorerie). I flush the diff and transfer case until clean fluid starts to run out. Then I put the drain plug back in and fill it up.

I got 7 quarts total when I started but I think that I'm going to pick up another quart before I do the front. That will allow me to flush that one too. Otherwise I'll only have enough to fill it exactly. Since I've only got about a quart and a half left.

Alan
Hi, since when do you have a quarter and a half left?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts