Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 double cab TRD

on coast at 20mph-35mph. its constant. maybe hearing it at all speeds but i can't really tell. sounds nasty but low volume. don't hear a howl yet i don't think. no play in rear yoke, but a good bit of play in center driveshaft bearing.

what are my options here? my uneducated plan is to change the fluid and look for a salvage rear end. seems like a tough one to find, though. definitely not one in town. does the sequoia happen to have the same diff?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm working through same issue, finally pulled the rear axels out, the right rear had a ton of play it and was pretty much totally shot when we pulled it.

Trying to find replacement now... 2005 double cab. Pull your drums and check the axles for play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the response. i haven't dug in yet. i changed fluids in both front and rear and the oil that came out looked great. there was sludge on the magnets but nothing bad.

in the last month i have now started getting a howl/wine at 40mph. time to figure it out. took it to a shop i trust and they could find nothing wrong, but now i don't trust them as much, because something is definitely making that noise.

is the play i'm looking for in and out or circular or something different? if its there, what's broken? easiest to just replace the whole rear end, i guess?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also the salvage network i've used in the past has no rear ends anywhere nearby. i knew i might have a problem with parts on this thing because it was made so few years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im experiencing the same thing with my 2010 tundra. I get a chatter when i lift off the gas peddle or slow speed breaking. Changed the fluid and it had a metalic haze to it. Not looking good for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just had a howling rear end fixed. Outside axle bearing was shot on passenger side with 260k miles. Had both sides replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts