·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How nessesary are they?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have one just for cheap insurance, but if you ask Jerry at Camburg he says their useless. :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Never heard of a "Diff Drop". What is it, anyway?
It is a spacer that lowers the front differential on a lifted truck to take some of the angle and strain off of the CV joints. Typically, you unbolt the differential from the frame, lower it about an inch, put a couple of 1-inch spacers above it, and rebolt the diff to the frame using longer bolts.

The DD kits typically cost about $35 or so, and are a good investment because repairing or replacing CV boots is a real P.I.T.A. to do yourself, and rather expensive to have it done.

No lifted truck should be without one.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I agree with Jerry at Camburg - useless. Took mine off after a couple months and the spacers are sitting on my toolbox. Just my personal opinion. Some people think they make a difference.

Rick

·
Registered
797 Posts
I never put them on my truck and so far no problems(about 1 1/2 yrs)
I think for the money they are cheap insurance..
This is my theory I made up just to justify not putting them on but really i was too lazy "If your truck is new like mine was and the rubber boots are still new then there is a good chance that they won't leak when you lift it a little bit but if you truck is a couple of years old and then the rubber boots get a bit harder over the years then when you change the angle there is a better chance of leaking" ..... made that up myself :)

p.s. did I mention I made that up myself and my theory has absolutely no real proof of any kind what-so-ever :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Way to back yourself up...lol...because they will leak eventually, especialy if you do any sort of offroading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would think for them to be useless it would be because they don't drop the diff or make any change to the angle at all. If that is the case, then they might be useless. But, if they do actually take some of the angle, even a bit, then I would think they have to be helping... if not just a little.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
My boots were leaking so I put on the diff drop kit. The boots continued to leak and the change in the angle of the axle shaft was virtually imperceptible to me on my truck. I have lifted the front 2" with Donahoes. The spacers did not appear to help in my analysis of my own truck. Maybe they help other people. Everyone should do their own analysis and make a decision based on their own situation. For me it didn't help so I took the spacers off and did a manual hub conversion. I now have stronger axles and CV joints and also better boots. I'm happy with the manual hub conversion.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts