Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I engage the diff. lock button it only blinks and the ABS light comes on. Does anyone know why and what to do to correct this.
I live in Jamaica W.I. not much help available in this area. truck is 2005 Off Road

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
the truck has to be in 4 lo before it will engauge, have u tried that?? and it helps to turn the wheels a little bit for it to lock together

·
Registered
417 Posts
needs to be in 4Lo drive it slowy tell you here it lock and the light will stop blinking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank`s for the reply
My truck is not 4 wheel drive would this make a difference.
Please excuse my inorance as I am not versed in this subject
Have a good day
Paul

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I'm Not Really Sure With A Two Wheel Drive, I'm Sure There Is A Different Way To Do It Then. But The Abs Light Is Supposed To Come On When You Hit The Diff Lock Switch, I Don't Know Hope Fully Someone Else With Knowledge Of A Two Wheel Will Help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also, keep in mind the diff lock light will blink if you try to to engage the locker above 5mph. To activate 2WD models...engage the locker below 5MPH, turn the front wheels slightly and you should hear and feel the locker engage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2003 Tacoma 2WD with Diff lock, and the operation is as you discribed in the first post, the ABS dash light will come on, meaning that it's disabled while the differential is locked, also the Diff lock dash light will blink because the drving will be very difficul while this option is engaged, if you try to make a turn it will be very difficult. During normal operation when you turn the truck one wheel will spin faster than the other but if the locked differential is on that isn't possible.
There should be a sticker in the drivers door somewhere explaining the differential lock use, mine is a 2003 and has it, I guess yours should have it. If yours doesnt have it let me know and I can copy it for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found this from the Tacoma 2005 User manual
---------------------------------------------

The rear differential lock system is provided
for use only when wheel spinning
occurs in a ditch or on a slippery or
ragged surface.​
This differential lock system is effective in
case one of the rear wheels is spinning.
Four–wheel drive models—
Before using the rear differential lock system,
first shift the four–wheel drive control
into “L4” to see if this is sufficient. If this
has no effect, additionally use the rear​
differential lock system.

To lock the rear differential, push the
switch.​
Be sure to stop the wheels before locking
the differential.
For easy locking, depress the clutch pedal,
push the lock switch and slowly release
the clutch pedal.

The indicator light will blink when the
switch is turned on. Wait a few seconds
for the system to complete operation. After
the differential is locked, the light will
stop blinking and remain on.

CAUTION​
Do not use the rear differential lock
in the conditions other than above.
Large steering effort and careful cornering​
control will be required.

·
Registered
290 Posts
First ...the op doesn't have have a 4WD it's 2WD so 4L is not an option. Also, the Diff lock light only flashes when the diff lock is not engaged. Once the diff is locked the light will go out and stay out. If the light flashes it's means driver's exceeding 5mpg or some type of malfunction of the diff lock itself.
I have a 2003 Tacoma 2WD with Diff lock, and the operation is as you discribed in the first post, the ABS dash light will come on, meaning that it's disabled while the differential is locked, also the Diff lock dash light will blink because the drving will be very difficul while this option is engaged, if you try to make a turn it will be very difficult. During normal operation when you turn the truck one wheel will spin faster than the other but if the locked differential is on that isn't possible.
There should be a sticker in the drivers door somewhere explaining the differential lock use, mine is a 2003 and has it, I guess yours should have it. If yours doesnt have it let me know and I can copy it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts