Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, just to let you know :tu:

Alright, so I will be needing to tow a 14' (ish) haulmark kodiak to move some stuff around for school. My two problems are these:

1.) I have a four pin connector on my truck, and I believe this trailer has a 6 pin connector. Has anyone had success with adapters? I don't have time to order one online.

2.) I don't have an electric brake controller, and don't plan on buying one to tow a trailer once or twice. How much weight is reasonable to tow without trailer brakes?

Sorry if this is a repeat, I couldn't find an answer in my search!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can answer Q 1, those adapters work just fine. I commonly used them on several trucks without any issues. Worst that can happen is the turn signal wires are opposite what you need and 5 mins with some cutters, crimpers and some pin connectors and its fixed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CJM T100- where did you buy yours? Is there a technical name for one so I don't sound like an idiot when I call to ask if stores have one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I towed a 5000lb 23' Key West Cuddy Cabin boat a few times no brake controller, no problem....but It's the max I'd tow without it!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
most states require trailer brakes at the 3000 lb mark...might wanna check where ur towing to see...but since thats kinda a standard, id assume anything over 3k lbs should be equipped with brakes. now that can be surge brakes that u dont need the controller for...and alot of boat and rented box type trailers do have surge brakes so that could be in your situation as well. just make sure if it does have surge brakes that you do hook it up with the correct adapter to be able to pull a reverse light circuit signal or be ready to insert the manual release pin...its gonna suck trying to back up with locked brakes hahaha

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that makes sense. I'm not familiar with that kind of trailer brake, our camper (towed w/ my dads 07 tundra) uses the controller-type brakes, which are all I am familiar with. I wish Haulmark would post more info about their trailers on their website. You'd think they'd give you more than just the ball size and axle capacity.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You will most likely have to make an adapter. They make them to run a 4 wire from a 7 plug but not the other way around. I made one as my truck only has a 4 pin at the moment. I think your trailer is 7 not 6 pin if it is fairly new. pick up plugs at walmarts.
If you are not hauling a lot of weight, don't worry about the brakes. And NY is 3500 lbs gross for brakes if memory serves me

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
that makes sense. I'm not familiar with that kind of trailer brake, our camper (towed w/ my dads 07 tundra) uses the controller-type brakes, which are all I am familiar with. I wish Haulmark would post more info about their trailers on their website. You'd think they'd give you more than just the ball size and axle capacity.
well basically, the surge brakes, (since u arent familiar with them) operate off an actuator in the coupler assembly. when u slow down, naturally the trailer wants to go forward "into" the back of the truck. as it does so, the inside of teh coupler pushes forward on the back of the trailer ball, activating the actuator, causing the brakes to engage. when u start to pull away or accelerate, the weight shifts towards the back, and it releases pressure inside the coupler so the brakes disengage. thats why if u back up without a reverse or manual override, the pressure bakwards mimics slowing down/stopping and engages them. they also have a saftey chain that attaches to the tow vehicle to engage them in the event of a seperation of the trailer/truck.

BUT, lookin at their website, on those models, down at the bottom, it specifies electric drum brakes so just ignore all the surge brake crap i said. it wont apply to you hahaha.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
most states require trailer brakes at the 3000 lb mark...might wanna check where ur towing to see...but since thats kinda a standard, id assume anything over 3k lbs should be equipped with brakes. now that can be surge brakes that u dont need the controller for...and alot of boat and rented box type trailers do have surge brakes so that could be in your situation as well. just make sure if it does have surge brakes that you do hook it up with the correct adapter to be able to pull a reverse light circuit signal or be ready to insert the manual release pin...its gonna suck trying to back up with locked brakes hahaha
yeah, the trailer did have elec brakes on it.... The guy before modified it to fit the RV Plug our trucks have standard, so there was no modifying for me.:cool:

·
Registered
524 Posts
CJM T100- where did you buy yours? Is there a technical name for one so I don't sound like an idiot when I call to ask if stores have one?

Thanks!
Walmart, just was on the shelf with about a zillion other adapters made by reese. You need 4 pin to whatever the trailer is. What you linked is what I have and it was towed plenty of trailers for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts