Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 265 70R16 on my 06 4wd taco. My spare is 245 75R16. Will running this different size tire cause any problems with the LSD in rear or drive train in front since they are close to the same diameter do I need to go ahead and purchase another 265 70R16 as a spare?

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I have 265 70R16 on my 06 4wd taco. My spare is 245 75R16. Will running this different size tire cause any problems with the LSD in rear or drive train in front since they are close to the same diameter do I need to go ahead and purchase another 265 70R16 as a spare?
You could probably limp to the next gas station with it, but I definately would not use it long term. If you had to use it, and it was practical to do so, put the spare on the front axel (swapping with the rear if necessary) to help protect your LSD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmm.... 30.5in vs 30.6in.

They're so close in size that I'm inclined to say it's safe, but in truth it's hard to say as I've never put much thought into this.

I'm not really sure how much of a difference you can have before you run into problems.... in theory a new spare vs the worn tires on the truck might have that much treadwear.

I'd say that if you put it on the front you'd be fine provided you stay in 2wd, but I'm sure someone, somewhere has written a tire size/wear article for 4x4s, so it'd probably be worth your time to do a google search....

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Those two tire tires are almost the same diameter, depending on type(all-season to all-season). I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the other one repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Especially if the spare is new and the other is well worn.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Don't worry about it, as said above treadwear can make that much difference, and some brands of the same size can vary that much.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys. I'm not gonna worry but in the near future just buy the same size for a spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts