Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 04 4x4 Access cab in Jan.

I am changing all the fluids, among other general maintenance items since I don't know the last time they where done.

Already changed the Front differential fluid with Mobile 1 75w90 full synthetic.

First Item:

Changing my rear differential fluid. I already checked and my rear differential isn't LSD, no sticker and when jacked up the rear wheels spin different directions.

My Haynes manual calls for API GL-5 90w hypoid above 0 degrees and API GL-5 80w hypoid or 80w-90 below 0 degrees.

Living in Colorado, I was going to go with the 80W-90 weight.

I do have some left over Mobile 1 API GL-5, 75w90 full synthetic wondering if its OK to put that in.

Shouldn't be much of a difference since the 1st number is usually for the viscosity in the colder weather.

Second Item:

Changing my transfer case oil. It calls for API GL-4 or API GL-5 75w90. No problem I have some left over Mobile 1 API GL-5, 75w90 full synthetic.

My issue is, the Haynes manual states to drive it in 4x4 for about 15 minutes prior to draining and changing the fluid. I cant do that, we haven't had any snow for some time and none in the forecast. I don't know when it was changed last.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my 04 4x4 Access cab in Jan.

My issue is, the Haynes manual states to drive it in 4x4 for about 15 minutes prior to draining and changing the fluid. I cant do that, we haven't had any snow for some time and none in the forecast. I don't know when it was changed last.

Engage the 4x4 high and drive it for a few miles, most likely you don't need to drive it for 15 minutes, just enough to warm the fluid up. If your not fully engaged in 4L you should be fine driving it on pavement in 4H. There are plenty of threads on "exercising your 4x4" that might shed some light on dry pavement 4x4 driving for you.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, my bad for posting in the wrong area.

Mods. Please move my post since I posted in the wrong area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it have to say Hypoid gear oil or is GL5 ok?I'm having trouble finding the Hypoid gear oil but am finding plenty that says GL5,My owners manual says API GL5 SAE80 HYPOID GEAR OIL,Thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts