Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at what these differential drop kits consist of and how much they cost I started thinking why couldn't a guy just go to the hardware store and create their own?
Really the only thing you need to know is the size of the bolt and how long otherwise I would think they a couple washers would work just as good as the billet risers these kits provide.

Here's Fat Bob's Kit

Why wouldn't 5 or 6 washers work?
Maybe there's something at the hardware store that would work better then washers but $30 for a kit like this is ridiculous.

Do these risers need to be a certain diameter?

Judging by this picture I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you are right, in fact I bet large washers would provide better support than the spacer.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be careful about using washers. You don't want moisture and/or debris to get caught in between each one. Also, washers don't fit the bolt exactly, so you're bound to get some movement if you're not careful. But nothing stopping you from trying. The biggest thing you need to worry about is getting bolts that are the proper length. There isn't much room above where the nut/washer goes on, so even if you're 1/2" off, that could mean that you won't get a good fit (and its a pain in the a$$ to get to that area). Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the instructions of one brand it sounds like the spacers are not square and have a slight angle to accommodate the angle the differential arm will have after being lowered.
Looking at Ready-Lifts instructions it doesn't look like or say anything about angled spacers. Anyone mount their own kit and notice the spacers weren't square?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think the time vested in going through and piecing together all the parts, it'd be a lot easier to just pay the $30 and not spend $10 in gas going to home Depot, 30 minutes looking for everything, and then driving back home. What will you save? Probably enoguh for McDonalds on the way home and the ability to know that you can piece together your own diff drop kit.

-rockstate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see home depot from my house but that aside I found a Fat Bobs kit for $20 which for just bolts and a spacer I can deal with.
More then likely I would probably have to make a couple trips to HD to get everything right and that alone is worth $20 to avoid.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Looking at the instructions of one brand it sounds like the spacers are not square and have a slight angle to accommodate the angle the differential arm will have after being lowered.
Looking at Ready-Lifts instructions it doesn't look like or say anything about angled spacers. Anyone mount their own kit and notice the spacers weren't square?
Not sure if you're reading the right part, but mine certainly didn't have any angle to them and none that I've seen have shown that either. The only thing that I've seen that shows it has a 3.5 degree angle on it are the metal/aluminum blocks that you use to life the rear up, but that is a completely different subject. When you look at the differential, you'll see that the angle isn't really the issue since it is straight from left to right and there is no benefit from front to back. It mainly has to do with the angle coming from the wheel to the point at which it is bolted in. That is what is being adjusted. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Doesn't seem too hard - I don't have a problem with the price but shipping is half the cost of the kit and I am not that far away. Fatbobsgarage.com comes out to $40 shipped

Revtek kit consist of
DIFFERENTIAL SPACER KIT

Qty 2 -DIFFERENTIAL DROP SPACERS
Qty 2 - ½ - 13 X 6 BOLT
Qty 2 - ½ -FLAT WASHER
Qty 2 -½ - 13 FLANGE NUT2
Qty 3 -SKID PLATE SPACER

DIFFERENTIAL DROP SPACER KIT
1. Remove skid plate under the front of the vehicle (12mm socket); save the OEM bolts.
2. Remove the factory bolts holding the front of the differential to the cross member (19mm socket);
save the OEM cup washers on the bolt for step 3.
3. Install Revtek spacers RTDDS-1 between the two front differential supports and front cross-member.
Fasten to cross-member using new ½” x 6” long bolts, nuts, and washers. Be sure you use the
provided flat washers and the OEM cup washers on the bolt side. You will use the provided flange
nuts on the top with no washers. This will allow you to tighten the assembly without the need for a
wrench in the confined space on the cross member (19mm socket.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just an update - went down to Ace Hardware and spent about $6 for 2 13X6 bolts 2 1/2 washers 4 3/4 nuts(used as the spacers), 2 lock washers and 2 1/2 nuts. Also a handful of washers for the skidplate.

Worked just fine and cost me about the same as shipping from these other guys.

It was a pain to get the bolts and washers on top and a wrench to tighten them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts