Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been doing some research the last couple of weeks deciding on whether or not to go with the 5100's or the 3/1 leveling kit. Decided to go with the 5100's and started doing more research and sorry for the newb question, but what the heck is a differential drop kit and why do I need it if I install the 5100's? Any help would be appreciated. I just want to cover my butt and make sure I get everything taken care of at one time.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The differential is what transfers the power from the transfer case to the front wheels.

You will want to drop it so as the angles of the CV shafts are not extreme. Dropping it (I believe) an inch will get you in the ballpark of factory specifications.

$20-30 part and is cheap insurance.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
MG hit it right on, the only thing Ill add is that its really a no brainer if youre going to lift over 2".

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Concur with already has been said. Get the drop kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there any issues in terms of fit/clearance with a factory skidplate?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. It sounds like a no brainer to put the kit in so I'll do that. Any specific kit better than another? One more question that I think you guys can help with and I'm done until I post the after pics. I'm gonna put the 5100's on first and then the rim/tires later. I know I'll have to get an alignment after the 5100s are installed, but do I have to get another alignment again when I replace the rims and tires. I'll be going to a bigger tire size.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
No, an alignment is an alignment.

I wouldn't do it now, then wait a year to replace the tires, but you'll be fine if you wait a few weeks between alignment and new tires.

Some people will disagree with me on that one as long as your wheel isn't pulling, but ya don't wanna find out your tires are wearing funky after you just spend 1000+ on 'em.

-rockstate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, an alignment is an alignment.

I wouldn't do it now, then wait a year to replace the tires, but you'll be fine if you wait a few weeks between alignment and new tires.

Some people will disagree with me on that one as long as your wheel isn't pulling, but ya don't wanna find out your tires are wearing funky after you just spend 1000+ on 'em.

-rockstate
Yeah I was gonna get the 5100's installed from one place which would include the alignment and then get the rims/tires replaced from another place and didn't want to have to do it twice. They'l be done within a couple of weeks of eachother. I don't want to be driving around with the lift and the original tires I think my truck would look a little goofy, lol. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
no prob man.

Heck, look at my truck. They're only .5" taller than the stock tires and I'm gonna run 'em another 10K miles til they're worn out.

It doesn't look BAD, and it can be done... at least it's not a 6" lift lol

-rockstate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no prob man.

Heck, look at my truck. They're only .5" taller than the stock tires and I'm gonna run 'em another 10K miles til they're worn out.

It doesn't look BAD, and it can be done... at least it's not a 6" lift lol

-rockstate
The reason I'm doing all this now is because I have just hit the 35k mark and my tires are gonna need to be replaced. I wanted to get all the life out of them I could before buying the shocks, tires and rims.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya on that one. The stockers suck, both the Ragged Trails and teh Bridgestones. I junked mine at 12K miles and think it was a wise decision.

-rockstate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts