Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Differential housing needle bearing problem/solution

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  joewildlife 
#1 ·
So this problem is actually on an 06 Sequoia but it parked next to my 06 Tundra and it's all the same parts. I have this rumbling whir whir sound, sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side. I go to check it out today thinking it was a wheel bearing, but no they seem fine, but I can shake the drivers side CV axle about 1/8" where it enters the differential. So I go looking for this bearing, a needle bearing it turns out, and it is really nowhere to be found. I mean, it doesn't seem to be listed in the parts catalogs anywhere. Toyota parts, the local auto parts shops, Rockauto, you name it. Some folks incorrectly call it the carrier bearing in the diff and suggest getting a junkyard diff as a solution. But NO...this is a needle bearing that fails on the driver's side, especially on lifted vehicles. Mine is not lifted, but has 186K on it. After half a day of internet searching, here, youtube, you name it...I come across the East Coast Gear Supply, and they sell a front differential output bushing to replace the needle bearing. They have videos and stuff, and sell a tool to remove the bushing. Good stuff. They sell the seal but it is pretty pricey, and good luck figuring out what that seal is called and finding it anywhere else!

Anyway, the job doesn't look too hard, and it is reason for me to finally buy a dead blow hammer, and a seal puller. I'm not sure the exact size of the axle nut but it is probably a 35, I hope to borrow it from a local auto parts place.

I'm pretty much a gearhead but man, it was tough to figure out this whole problem and repair until I found ECGS.

Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
I replaced the needle bearing easily enough. ECGS tool worked perfectly. It fixed the play in the CV axle for sure.
Problem is, it didn't fix the noise I am hearing. The noise is pronounced, to me, at 50 mph. The wheel bearings seem fine on both sides. I removed the brake pads and spun the hubs and they seemed quiet. No play anywhere. I think I am just hearing things that are not there. I'm thinking about putting some super slippery high quality synthetic gear lube in the front differential. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.