Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 tundra. Because the previous owner didn't know the meaning of taking care of vehicles, both my front and rear differentials have hit the fan. Personally, i don't know much about it, but my mechanic (who i trust and has worked on my familys vehicles for the past 10 years) told my i need a complete rebuild for the front and back. According to him, the only place he could find the parts is the toyota dealership, and they want over $3200 for all the parts! Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative? I live in Alaska, and used parts are not very popular.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
both my front and rear differentials have hit the fan. Personally, i don't know much about it, but my mechanic (who i trust and has worked on my familys vehicles for the past 10 years) told my i need a complete rebuild for the front and back.
Are you having problems with the diffs - noise, vibrations, etc. - or did he just tell you they're bad?

·
Registered
109 Posts
first off are you having fiscal problem like above and on a scale of one to ten ten being a werwolf in a coffee grinder and 1 being annoying at which end are you if its just making a little noise don't worry about it. if it is closer to a ten were you are having problems going from a to be then it is time to get it fixed. you need to look up Randys ring and pinion they are top notch people and can help you get every thing you need from gears to master install kits these guys have it all. you can cut that price down a to about 150 and axel + 400-500 in part depending on what you get if you bring them the front axel and rear third. back third takes no special tools to do just a little common senses. fronts a little harder but not that bad. the other site you can look at is Performance Off Road Center they have good prices but there customer service can be hit and miss some time but i have had good luck with them so far and they do have some good prices on stuff but randy's is the best and highly recommend them.

P.S. dont ever spend 3200 on a gear set up some one is trying to rape you thats why the call them stealerships never trust them. also take it to a real gear shop one that specializes in differentials and such it could save you a lot of money

Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.
Performance Off Road Center

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you really have problems, stop by Anthony's Transmission on spur hwy. and talk to Mike, as he is the resident expert. You could also try that used parts outfit on K-beach.

·
7,925 Posts
Check around on Ebay - you may get lucky on finding parts. I had a similar situation when I destroyed my rear end and ended up replacing the front and rear differentials on my truck. Toyota wanted over $4k just for the rear differential!!:eek:

I have a front 4:10 that is good shape - my rear 4:10 is questionable. If you want them they are yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you are interested and I will send them to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you having problems with the diffs - noise, vibrations, etc. - or did he just tell you they're bad?
I'm pretty sure both front and back are both shot. The back end completely locked up on me, and the front end made loud, bad noises when I put it in 4-wheel drive. And he showed me the guts from both the differentials. Teeth were missing on the gears, overall it looked really bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check around on Ebay - you may get lucky on finding parts. I had a similar situation when I destroyed my rear end and ended up replacing the front and rear differentials on my truck. Toyota wanted over $4k just for the rear differential!!:eek:

I have a front 4:10 that is good shape - my rear 4:10 is questionable. If you want them they are yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you are interested and I will send them to you.
Hey thanks, i may take you up on that. I still have to do a little more looking around in my area though. But the ratio on my truck is 3.9 Would i have to replace other parts if i put in a different ring an pinion? Or what all were you looking to get rid of?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm pretty sure both front and back are both shot. The back end completely locked up on me, and the front end made loud, bad noises when I put it in 4-wheel drive. And he showed me the guts from both the differentials. Teeth were missing on the gears, overall it looked really bad.
Wow. I guess you were right about lack of maintenance!

·
7,925 Posts
Hey thanks, i may take you up on that. I still have to do a little more looking around in my area though. But the ratio on my truck is 3.9 Would i have to replace other parts if i put in a different ring an pinion? Or what all were you looking to get rid of?
You can have whatever parts you want. I will need to find the time to tear them down to scavenge the parts you want. Going from your 3.9's to the 4:10's will change your final gear ratio meaning your RPM's are going to go up. When I went from 4:10' to the 3.91's my RPM's at 75 MPH went from 2600 RPM to 2200 RPM.

Just some things to consider before you make any decisions. No hurries - the gears are in a barn and not going anywhere. Want to reiterate that that the front differential is fine but the rear differential is questionable. Either way, anyway I can help is good. Just read my signature - two members here stepped and bailed my butt out of a no-win situation so if I can help out another member on the Forum that makes me happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts