Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to tie down a dirt bike in the bed? never hauled one before, don't want it falling over and smashing my truck,

thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Strap the bike to the D-Rings on the bed floor. If you haven't added D-Rings to the front of the bed, do so. Search the forum for how to add them. You're better off adding them to the bed-frame bolts than you are drilling into the side of the bed as Toyota's directions that come with the extra D-Rings tells you to do. Never strap your bike to the plastic cleats in your track system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got the d-rings in the side of the bed to strap down my race bike. I also went with the Toyota bed extender to keep everything in with the tailgate down.

+1 on not using the cleats; they are only rated for 100lbs of pull and you'll need much more than that to safely compress your forks and secure a bike.

Make sure to tie down your back end as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From my experience recently, if i made it through 4000 miles of cross country driving using the stock plastic cleats and the rear d-rings securing my motorcycle you should be ok. The weight on my motorcycle is around 425+lbs. In your situation, your dirt bike should weight alot less than a motorcycle. For the front, I strapped each side handle with 2 cleats (so i used all 4 cleats for the front) and the rear 1 d-rings on each side of the motorcycle as shown on picture. Although on each rest stop, i always check for tightness always-both cleats and straps. Good heavy duty straps is highly recommended. My straps are recommended 1000lbs per. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 on not using the cleats; they are only rated for 100lbs of pull and you'll need much more than that to safely compress your forks and secure a bike
TSK...

according to my 2005 Tacoma brochure, each cleats is designed to hold loads up to 220 lbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts