Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me start by saying there's no replacement for a diesel when it comes to towing.

So with my 06 having 170k miles I thought I'd look into putting in new injectors. Had just did the plugs and coils. To which I can say, I honestly did not feel any change even when towing. Called Keith at D.D. and he said "dude it's really easy". Asked if it was as easy as the coils and to his credit he said "no, not that easy". Sorta started on a Friday eve. on the passenger side. Was only able to get the coils unplugged and a couple of other pigtails before it got to dark to see. Started the next a.m. Took me 4 1/2 hours to do both sides with a stop for breakfast.

While the install was not real hard it wasn't easy either. Couple of tips if you decide to do it. One, take off everything you see around the fuel rail or disconnect. Second, make sure you pull the rubber grommet out of the injector hole. I think 3 of 4 on both sides stayed in when I pulled them. Three, don't use the o ring that comes with the new injectors. The originals did not have any. They only seemed to make the fit more difficult. Four, don't try to over due/insert the injectors into the rail. They go in pretty easy and for the most part stay in. I did not even pull the fuel rail completely off on the drivers side rather just lifted it high enough to insert the new injectors into the rail. Five, make sure you have some rags to soak up the fuel that will come out.

After I got everything back in I took the Seq out for a test ride. First thing I noticed was it didn't catch on fire. Texted Keith but no reply. Guess he didn't think that was funny. What I did notice was a jump from 3k to 4k rpms. Kind of surprised me. It was noticeable for sure. Next was a test tow. Seemed different but was that objective or subjective? Real test was my upcoming 1800 mile RT tow to WY.

Now if you've ever read my comments about towing my boat on this board you'll know I thought the Seq was a pig the first time I towed up there with my current boat. Was doing 35 mph up some grades. Next year I discovered putting 91 octane made a big difference. After 2 years doing it I'm convinced of it as I could hit 50 mph up the same grade.

Hit the road last Sat. at 7:30 p.m (always leave the same time). The first time I knew something was different was going up the Simi Valley grade into the Valley. It's about 5% or so. Man I was impressed. I could feel the difference in both power and rpms. It was like that all the way to WY. I was so impressed that I called a buddy while driving to tell him. It was like the Seq had a 6th gear. Before the thing was always downshifting at every little incline. Not anymore. I mean it was accelerating on inclines now. It did this time and time again. I even texted Keith when I got to WY. This time he replied back and was like "I told you so".

I gave the difference in drive/towing a lot of thought. To me it was like I gained 200-500 rpm and up to 10 mph faster maybe more. We cut our drive time down by maybe 2 hours. We never get to Cedar City before the sun rises and this trip we were there in the dark (remember we pretty much leave at the same time each year). I mean dark and not gray light. Even my daughter noticed it. Instead of downshifting at 55-60 I could now do 65 and hold it. There was one instance while passing I hit 80 on I-80 and it wasn't downhill either. Would have never been able to hit 80 before. I bet there were some people that were pretty surprised to see my rig passing them. In fact I don't recall a non diesel tow vehicle ever pass me and believe me I was looking out for em.

Having said the above I should mention a couple of things. One; if it's a steep grade these injectors won't make much of a difference. You're gonna slow down. The grade out of Baker, CA. is 16 miles long. You aren't going to be doing 65 mph unless you want to drive at 4500 rpms. I think I kept it around 3k-3.5k or so doing 50 most of the way. I can live with that. Out of Green River there are 3 grades; 7%, 5% and 6%. You feel those too but the 5% isn't so bad and I think I was doing 60 or so. Two; wind sucks! You get into a strong headwind and you're going to know that too. I could really feel the speed drop when we started into one. In fact one stretch on I-15 I only got 7.7 mpg. It was blowing hard from SLC all the way to the coast over 36 hour period. Three; these injectors won't improve mpg. At least it didn't for me. About the same to slightly worse but hey I'll take that any day given the improved performance.

All things being equal with out a doubt there is a noticeable difference in performance. I really can't stress how much there was for me. I'd do it all over again w/out hesitating.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did the old injectors come out all at once attached to the fuel rail, or did you have to pluck out the injectors one by one? I'm planning to pull the fuel rail all at once but if the old injectors are really seated in there this might not end well.

Keith mentioned the original o rings so I am trying to digest your comments and compare to his.

... make sure you pull the rubber grommet out of the injector hole. I think 3 of 4 on both sides stayed in when I pulled them.

Do you reuse the original rubber grommets?

... don't use the o ring that comes with the new injectors. The originals did not have any. They only seemed to make the fit more difficult.

I'm confused. Keith mentioned o rings with concern about fitment and warned against using WD40 because they will expand. He said use motor oil instead. When he mentioned WD40 I figured we were cleaning and reusing the old o rings. But if none are there originally he must have been talking about the new o rings with the kit.

First thing I noticed was it didn't catch on fire. Texted Keith but no reply. Guess he didn't think that was funny.

LMAO ... well that's a sure fire way to find out if it needs an o ring. It doesn't now, but what about after another 100k miles? Your seals may be holdng from the rubber grommet only? I'll tap Keith to confirm use or non use of the o ring before I install. The kit doesn't arrive for a week and I won't install for at least a week (perhaps a month) after that. I'll circle back and let you know how it went. Not looking forward to fitting a part that doesn't want to go.

What I did notice was a jump from 3k to 4k rpms. Kind of surprised me. It was noticeable for sure. Next was a test tow.

I noticed a similar jump at 3-4K rpms when I did a thorough Seafoam for the first time this motor ever had one, but it didn't last. With the new 12 hole injectors I bet the increase in power will last and I won't need to run cleaners as often going forward.

I even texted Keith when I got to WY. This time he replied back and was like "I told you so".

Yep, I'm not a mechanic by trade but I have two in the family who are beyond 95% of mechanics. Nascar, Baja race build experience and new vehicle tech troubleshooting are a phone call away for me. After speaking with Keith I realized he's on their level with both old and new tech, what a great resource. I was actually happy to pay for parts coming from him because I know they will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The injectors came out at the same time. Just had to work with them a bit. Lay down some rags though as the fuel will spill out. Drivers side was easier to put in than passenger for some reason. Oh I think it was the O rings. Make sure you get all the old ones out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts