Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official, after 11 long years I ran into an opportunity to play with a TRD supercharger. This thread will document the install and tuning of a 1gen Tundra being tuned for off road use in Mexico only. Nothing in this thread is intended for use on any public highway in the US:devil:

In anticipation of the charger I installed an AEM wide band afr gauge. I had to know ahead of time what the afr was so that I could see what, if any, difference the charger made to the afr. Just fyi, the charger with the stock tune had no impact on afr...at least up to 2lbs it hasn't so far. Since the install of the charger I've installed a boost gauge as well, with the way the bypass valve is plumbed, boost maxes out at a very safe, yet fun 2psi. Here's the gauges 30 seconds after start up:

Aem wide and and boost gauge 1gen tundra by bamufflers, on Flickr

The install of the charger was really simple, and took about 10 hours less than installing a TRD supercharger on a 2013 5.7 tundra. 8 hours in all, this included removing the charger off of the donor truck, and installing it on the truck in the pics. It also included re-installing a stock intake manifold and all non supercharged Toyota parts back onto the donor truck so the fellow whom used to own the charger could still sell his truck. I initially contacted this guy from his contact info on Craigslist, he was selling his supercharged 2001 Tundra, I asked if he would trade all stock stuff and $$....3 months later he replies to the text asking if I still wanted to do the trade!!!!!!! It was like Christmas:D Only I got the gift, not my kids, haha. Here's the charger going on the truck:

Untitled by bamufflers, on Flickr

The first of the tuning devices has arrived already. Here is a device made by Split Second called the Enricher.
Split second enricher by bamufflers, on Flickr
Split second enricher by bamufflers, on Flickr
Enricher by bamufflers, on Flickr

This allows you to tune afr in closed loop operation. And, it references boost and adds more and more enrichment as the boost increases. Even in closed loop you will sometimes see boost, in this case I'm seeing max 1-2 lbs boost because of the way that I have the bypass valve plumbed. When this boost happens in closed loop while the Toyota ECU is hunting for it's afr I tend to get a little scared:eek: The enricher will hopefully fix this.

That's all I have for now. I'll update/edit this first post as I build this up. Future plans include a lot more boost:devil: Snow performance has agreed to sponsor the truck with a stage 3 MPG max kit with optional 7 gallon resi for those long off road trips into Mexico. I have also designed propane injection for open loop enrichment.

Please feel free to post any comments/questions below

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, anybody with a TRD supercharger on their 2uz needs a split second 'enricher'

This thing is really awesome. With only 1 lb of boost the truck was running 14-16 afr!! But with the enricher installed about a split second after seeing boost the afr immediately goes to 13, then immediately thereafter it goes to 12!! AND, more of the time the afr is richer, I suspect the truck senses the false lean condition and adapts by adding +fuel trim all the time.

I've already sent Marc at split second a very very positive email!! I will be purchasing a voltage clamp from him the near future as the boost goes up to avoid the dreaded po103 since it's not tuned with the TRD piggyback. Here's a video showing what the voltage clamp does:
VC3-100 In the Lab - YouTube

This guy really knows his stuff!!

I have also secured a sponsorship with Snow Performance and will be adding their products to my website asap. They are sending me their Snow Performance : Stage 3 Gasoline MPG MAX® Boost Cooler® along with their 7gallon resi for those long trips into Mexico.

On another note, something under the hood is making a terrible dry bearing kind of sound. It only happens while the engine is under a light to heavy load. Just cruising or in neutral it doesn't make the sound. I think that it's this pulley:

4.7 supercharger idler pulley by bamufflers, on Flickr

I've already pulled it off the truck and soaked it in oil, but it had little to no effect on the sound. The sound is definitely coming from the driver side of the engine. I can't run the truck without the pulley installed, the belt will hit a small hose. I've already texted Scott, he has the part # at his shop, but I'm impatient, anybody know what it is?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took off the charger since I never used anything to tune. I took the truck on a few trips to the sand dunes and didn't wanna risk explosion.

The charger is going back on in the next 30-90 days for a Sedona trip. Hoping to install water meth and tune in the split second enricher a little better:)

Hey, I noticed your signature doesn't say what exhaust is on your truck:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sooo.... you ran the Supercharger on the stock ECU (no piggie back ecu)??? I look forward to seeing how it works out!!!

How did you like your gauges?

Im going to need some advice on what will work best for a supercharged 4.7, that has to use the stock manifolds.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
jamesjr4750 is recommending the UniChip piggie back ECU and a day on the dyno. Im not very well versed on the ways to go about getting 4.7 running happy on the boost. I have read all about the troubles with rods, and the sub-par TRD piggie back ECU.

What is "FMU"?

You are running water/meth to limit cylinder temps, correct? How do you control the flow, and timing?

When you say "stock tune", do you mean stock piggie back tune, or stock ECU???

I get the idea air intake temps and the AFR are the keys to a happy engine. Are you trying to keep the AFR at 14.7:1???

I know I have a lot to read/learn before I actually start turning wrenches, but can you fill in a gap or two?

·
1,768 Posts
jamesjr4750 is recommending the UniChip piggie back ECU and a day on the dyno. Im not very well versed on the ways to go about getting 4.7 running happy on the boost. I have read all about the troubles with rods, and the sub-par TRD piggie back ECU.

What is "FMU"?

You are running water/meth to limit cylinder temps, correct? How do you control the flow, and timing?

When you say "stock tune", do you mean stock piggie back tune, or stock ECU???

I get the idea air intake temps and the AFR are the keys to a happy engine. Are you trying to keep the AFR at 14.7:1???

I know I have a lot to read/learn before I actually start turning wrenches, but can you fill in a gap or two?
Well you can run 2 different piggybacks that URD sells.
  • The extra injector(s) controller and ignition timing calibrator, and the MAF controller timing to have another program,
  • More hardware and more 2 software programs to dig through looking for problems to look after, hook up and install
  • Then you can also figure out how to splice into the ignition system to control the ignition timing as you will have to if you don't use Methanol/Meth.
  • Also I have no idea how the fuel cell/ignition timing maps are setup up but the Unichip lets you modify fuel/ignition every 250 RPM's instead of 500 RPM's like the MAP-ECU2.
  • I don't know how much better the Split Second Hardware can really be based on having to buy multiple pieces of hardware.
Ultimately its easier just to use the Unichip, as its P&P and everything is already ready to go. You can have 5 Unchip maps made ready to use.
Having many different Air/Fuel ratio maps, one with meth/water, one without, fuel economy map, safe fuel/igntiion map, All out power fuel/ignition map.
I've been down this road of buying $4000 worth of electronics, sensors, gauges, and trying to tune the vehicle with other peoples software. Setting voltage clamps lower than usual. It sucks. Trying to use a higher RPM increment fuel cell map. It doesn't work very well for fine tuning the Air/Fuel ratios and trying to tune the ignition timing when its all over the place and you're still getting detonation. You pull the ignition timing some more and it has the opposite effect of giving more detonation. You're constantly fighting for a happy medium between Air/Fuel ratios and ignition timing and you cannot get there.
In the end the truck ran worse, it was slower and problematic. Have fun guys tuning your supercharged Tundra getting it to work out properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts