Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on installing xenon HID lamps and believe the DRL setup runs the low beams at reduced voltage. This is NOT allowed with HID's, full voltage only. So, I need to disable it.

Any thoughts??

I have a Crew Max which has the auto headlights and DRL. I have looked at the wiring diagrams and it appears this is a function of the main body ECU.

Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should double check the bulb, because usually, if you have DRL, it runs on the HIGH beams at reduced voltage. If you don't have the true DRL option, then it runs the parking lights.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I thought it was strange too but page 149 of my owners manual actually states "The DRL system will make your front turn signal lights come on when:
ignition is on and engine running, headlight knob is in off or park light position and parking brake is released"
Weird huh? My wife's highlander DRL operates the headlights.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:ts:

I hadn't take delivery of the '07 yet and was assuming it worked like all other Toyotas I have owned over he years. Never thought to look in the owners manual. My wife says it's a guy thing I guess. :rolleyes:

Rich

·
Registered
87 Posts

I hadn't take delivery of the '07 yet and was assuming it worked like all other Toyotas I have owned over he years.Rich
Both my '03 and '06 'Runners worked the parking lights like the '07 Tundra. They like ta keep us guessin'.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I like the DRL'S being the front park lights better. Never did like the headlight type.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Just tell your wife
Instructions are for people with no sense of Adventure

I hadn't take delivery of the '07 yet and was assuming it worked like all other Toyotas I have owned over he years. Never thought to look in the owners manual. My wife says it's a guy thing I guess. :rolleyes:

Rich

·
Registered
595 Posts
Can I add the DRL feature to a truck delivered without them? It may be worth the addition since I get an insurance break for DRL.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like the DRL'S being the front park lights better. Never did like the headlight type.
Me too especially since with my FJ I need to constantly remind my wife that the headlights are off at night. I suspect this is why they went to parking lights; too many folks driving around at night with only DRLs running thinking their lights are on...

·
Registered
175 Posts
i hate to be the voice of bad news, but ive been fighting for two days to install a xenon depot HID kit. im a lexus/toyota dealership mechanic. toyota has adopted the "fluttering" headlights in the tundra. basically the ecu flutters the ground for the headlight relay which is supposed to make the headlight bulbs last longer. problem with this is it makes it so a bypass relay ( like in the xenon depot kit ) will not initalize. ive tried everything i can think of, includeing splicing in a 10,000 UF capacitor. if you can get a kit to work, let us know, as far as i can tell right now, its going to need some serious engineering ( unless you wanna run a lame toggle switch on your dash )

·
Registered
77 Posts
i hate to be the voice of bad news, but ive been fighting for two days to install a xenon depot HID kit. im a lexus/toyota dealership mechanic. toyota has adopted the "fluttering" headlights in the tundra. basically the ecu flutters the ground for the headlight relay which is supposed to make the headlight bulbs last longer. problem with this is it makes it so a bypass relay ( like in the xenon depot kit ) will not initalize. ive tried everything i can think of, includeing splicing in a 10,000 UF capacitor. if you can get a kit to work, let us know, as far as i can tell right now, its going to need some serious engineering ( unless you wanna run a lame toggle switch on your dash )
thanks for the info man. it's bad news to me because i wanted to do this too... but at least you saved me from shelling out $150. good lookin out :tu:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed a HID kitin my truck and have had no problems at all. I sell the kits from California Sunshine. Plug and play with no issues. I have had them in my truck since day 1. Not sure why you are having issues with your kit.....possibly the kit itself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ive never had a problem with this kit. ive installed others in my friends cars and trucks too. is your kit installed in your 07? if so i would pick one up and just eat the 200 i shelled out for the one that doesnt work...i cant stand driving with halogens anymore

·
Registered
595 Posts
I installed a HID kitin my truck and have had no problems at all. I sell the kits from California Sunshine. Plug and play with no issues. I have had them in my truck since day 1. Not sure why you are having issues with your kit.....possibly the kit itself.
What is the benefit of HID? Are they legal to use? Part number?

·
Registered
482 Posts
ive never had a problem with this kit. ive installed others in my friends cars and trucks too. is your kit installed in your 07? if so i would pick one up and just eat the 200 i shelled out for the one that doesnt work...i cant stand driving with halogens anymore
So are the factory DRL's terminated once an HID kit is installed? If not, sounds like a bad thing if it'll be running all day right? Newb to this so bare with me, thanks!

·
Registered
848 Posts
So are the factory DRL's terminated once an HID kit is installed? If not, sounds like a bad thing if it'll be running all day right? Newb to this so bare with me, thanks!

i believe it was already stated that the DRL's run off the parking lights NOT the headlights .. but you can remove the DRL by changing the flasher relay .. i removed it in my truck already

·
Registered
848 Posts
pull the lower pannel under the steering wheel and the flasher is on the upper left side held in by 1 10 mm bolt ... i would call it easy to do the flasher cost me 42 bucks (i am a shop though )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts