Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Find someone who wants them and switch flashers. The difference is the flasher, a small wiring harness and a gray plastic blank on the back of the junction block on the driver side lower dash area.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone wanna swap?

PS-- A photo would be way helpful if any of you guys know which relay / wiring harness this is.

EDJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why??
Mercedes Benz (I think, but it could've been Volvo - or someone else maybe) did a study that determined something like a 40% less collision rate with DRL (ie-visibility rules).
That's why Canada made them mandatory (smart Country)

Why would you want to remove them when most folks are looking to add them??

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why??
Mercedes Benz (I think, but it could've been Volvo - or someone else maybe) did a study that determined something like a 40% less collision rate with DRL (ie-visibility rules).
That's why Canada made them mandatory (smart Country)

Why would you want to remove them when most folks are looking to add them??
Because I have 15 years of tactical training pounded into my head. Because I have a career in which personal security and defense are paramount.

I don't like silhouettes (puts you in an easy kill zone), I don't like my lights coming on when I open my doors (I don't want anyone being able to target my movements, and therefore me, upon my exiting and entering the vehicle), I don't like door buzzers or chimes, I don't like lights flashing when I lock/unlock my car via remote, etc.

So I especially don't like my truck having lights on when I don't want to be made so obviously visible.

Not ranting, just trying to answer your question. Thanks!

EDJ

·
Registered
355 Posts
Because I have 15 years of tactical training pounded into my head. Because I have a career in which personal security and defense are paramount.

I don't like silhouettes (puts you in an easy kill zone), I don't like my lights coming on when I open my doors (I don't want anyone being able to target my movements, and therefore me, upon my exiting and entering the vehicle), I don't like door buzzers or chimes, I don't like lights flashing when I lock/unlock my car via remote, etc.

So I especially don't like my truck having lights on when I don't want to be made so obviously visible.

Not ranting, just trying to answer your question. Thanks!

EDJ
I think if you're worried about people seeing you because of your DRLs you might have some issues that the government needs to pay for you to get checked out...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if you're worried about people seeing you because of your DRLs you might have some issues that the government needs to pay for you to get checked out...
That would be funny, except I spend a significant portion of my work day dealing with people you only get to read about in the paper.

Without getting into some pi$$ing contest over my sanity, just accept that I prefer to be stealth for whatever reasons, and I would like to know how to disable my DRLs. If you have any input into how to accomplish that easily and cheaply, you've got my attention.

Cheers,

EDJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
check out the threads about installing DRL with factory components and work backwards. you would have to check what are the opposite parts that are needed to replace the drl pieces.

·
Registered
22 Posts
eldiablojoe, if you would like we can trade parts with the relays.
i dont have drl but i want them i would like to have the factory setup.
pm me if youd like. i am located in riverside and we can either do the trade at your place or mine. i will also send you a link on how its done if your interested, let me now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anestech, if you think I am enraged, or even slightly upset, then I have failed you. I have not clearly conveyed my message and misconstrued both my intent and my meaning.

I was not angrily pounding my keys in response, but rather trying to inform him that my sanity is not my issue so much as my personal and professional preferences to not have red flags, loud exhausts, or trumpets announcing my presence or my arrival.

I apologize if I was vague.

Glock21c and DaleD, Thank you for the tips.:thumbsup:

Rydr1, I'll PM you first chance I get later today. I'm interested in your offer.

EDJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an '07 Taco V-6 4x4 Access Cab SR5 that DOES NOT have DRL. However, if I feel like it, I can TURN ON my headlight switch and Leave It On all the time ..ie: never turn the switch off, and I have the benefit of DRL. When I open the door to get out of the truck.. the headlights GO OUT automatically. I can have it both ways. :) TacoGuy

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I too have been looking into how to disable them. I contacted a company that offers plug-ins a couple of weeks ago to investigate the Tacoma to add it to their list of applications. They said their engineers would look into it, hopefully I'll hear something back soon. They are called Solid Wiring, drop them a email to let them know you have interest as well.

I wish Toyota had at least installed a switch to disable them when you dont want them. I want to be able to walk around the truck, start it up, move it without alerting everyone in the world. It stinks too that they dont shut off if you reset the p-brake. Just because someone wants to reason "stealthy" or whatever doesnt mean they are paranoid, but whatever... some people are narrow minded. I'm sure the SP/MPs at the gate, cops at road blocks, etc would appreciate as little light flashed in their eyes as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
LOL EDJ, some people just don't get it! If I was out where you are, I'd give you my non DRL flasher and block off plug. (I just converted to DRL's due to the large non driver population in vehicles nowadays) I'd even hang around for all the swearing and cold road sodas:cool: :tu: !

FYI, it's easy, just really tight access there behind the junction block. I followed the directions from Toyota Nation, and posted a write up in our sticky section detailing it even more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts