Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone is gonna critisize me for this post - but I'm sure lots of people are thinking the same thing.

My 04 4Runner Ltd. came with all the bells and whistles, including all of the saftey features. One of them is incredibly annoying. I hate it when all the doors lock when you put the car in drive. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out of the truck to open the rear hatch, only to walk back to the driver's seat to unlock it. Ugh!

I appreciate the idea, but for those of us witout children, it just is not necessary. There really should be an optional on/off switch for this feature.

Does anyone know where you can get instructions to disable it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
AUTO LOCK/SHIFT is a selection of the customized body electronics system, the dealer can change the option from ON to OFF through the use of a hand-held tester.

AUTO LOCK/SHIFT - Function to lock the doors when shifting the lever from P range to the range other than P. Default = ON

·
Registered
81 Posts
AUTO LOCK/SHIFT is a selection of the customized body electronics system, the dealer can change the option from ON to OFF through the use of a hand-held tester.

AUTO LOCK/SHIFT - Function to lock the doors when shifting the lever from P range to the range other than P. Default = ON
To add a little, I was able to change the settings on my wife's '04 by manipulating the key and the lock button. We were able to change the doors to lock once we hit 15 MPH or so, and to unlock when we put it in park. I think it was in the manual, but I'd have to look to be sure. I do know that some combination of these steps might get you a little closer to being happy with the locking!

·
Registered
35 Posts
To add a little, I was able to change the settings on my wife's '04 by manipulating the key and the lock button. We were able to change the doors to lock once we hit 15 MPH or so, and to unlock when we put it in park. I think it was in the manual, but I'd have to look to be sure. I do know that some combination of these steps might get you a little closer to being happy with the locking!
There is something along those lines in my '07's owners manual as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's definitely in your owners manual, somewhere near the front. It gives you instructions on how to cancel that function as well as how to set the other options available. I just set my 07 SR5 this weekend and it took less than 5 minutes. You can set it to lock the doors according to shift position(will lock doors as soon as selector is in drive, and unlock when selector is in park, factory setting) or it will lock after you put it in drive and reach approx. 15 mph. You can also cancel the function completely where it will not lock or unlock unless you lock or unlock the doors manually. If you can't find it in your manual I'll look it up and give you the correct page. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't notice your 4Runner was a 2004 model on my earlier post. Don't know if the instructions would be the same. I believe the instructions were the same on my wife's 01 avalon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Press the UNLOCK button on the drivers door or on your remote TWICE to unlock ALL doors.
Reprogramming is simple if you read the user manual provided.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - found it in the manual. All fixed. Too bad I didn't know about that earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts