Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disengageing Daytime Running Lights

Hello everyone, I am trying to run HID system on my Highlander, but it seams like it wouldn't come on due to Daytime Running Lights. Anyone know how to Disengage the DRL system? Also has anyone done this before. Some help would be Nice.

Thanks everyone:cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
How is your DRL intefering with an HID kit? The regular headlight, and DRL are on 2 seperate bulbs. Unless you stuck the HID in the DRL/Hi Beam bulb slot

I think we need some more information. Did you replace your headlamp assembly?

I'm running HIDs on mine, one thing to watch out for is Toyota wired my plugin for the light bulb backwards. So on the harness plug, where it says "-" the wire going to it is actually the "+"

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
HID will not work if the polarity is wrong as stated above Check polarity with a DVOM... And , don't bother with HID on the High beams because the DRL will destroy the balast during the daytime when DRL are on. DRL just reduces the voltage to 6volts creating dim High beams (becoming DRL's). 6 Volts will not drive HID balast properly...a no no.

LT:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I am trying to run on Low beams. When I plug the HID kit to factory wire it doesn't light up, but pluging back the original halogin it light up. As you've mentioned when I looked at the factory wire harness it does look odd. On " + " the wire is black/white and on " - " it is red. Is that how your wires were? But even with the cross over wire could the factory lights turn on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The factory light bulb will light up as it doesn't matter which way the bulb is hooked up, as the power causes the element to heat up. The ballast requires a certain power flow for it to work correctly, try turning the connector around on the ballast when you plug it into the factory wiring

The lights should work then, I tapped my connector up so it would not rattle apart. If your HID setup is built decently, you should be able to plug the ballast connector into the factory harness backwards with no problem, it just will not be clipped in there. Hence the tape.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The factory plug PINS CAN be removed and reversed with no issue!!!
This would be the proper way.

Just curious,what HID bulb Kelvin #'s did yu choose for your HID conversion kit??
Do the co-way's use an internal ignitor? Which is the trend now for current HID kits.
Thanx
LT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like it shows in my signature, I went with the 10,000 Kelvin bulbs. Yes CoWay uses an internal Igniter.

Even going with the "cooler" bulbs for light, I still get A LOT of light output. I'm very happy with them, and have had no Hi Beam flashes from other motorists. I guess because from their point of view, they look like the HID wannabe Halegon bulb that is just a tad bit bright. But the pattern on the ground says otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem was faulty wiring from toyota. Now I have the HID up and running. She sure looks very nice. I'm running 6000K. Performs just like OEM HID, but she sure does look much better than OEM HID. I'm running HID kit that's made in Germany the same brand as the German car makers use. Has no glare problems. Performs and looks just like as if it came as OEM.

Thanks for the tip regarding the wires.:)

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Good job.
Great results.
Had the itch for the HID, But I'm concerned with the lighting "cut off" and ability to control and aim using the O/E reflector design.

Good luck.

LT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts