Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got these subs for free that I was planning on fixing (the amps are blown)
21st-Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature {scroll down}

problem is, my simple fix didn't work, so basically the amps are shot.

I got to thinking, what if I could put these in my truck? Problem is, they're reaally deep. Overall I would say they're about 8.5" deep (overall, not from mounting surface)

Other problem- the onboard amps they come with are rated at, well, 2700 watts :rolleyes:. Not sure if the alternator could handle two of those, my guess is no.

If anything I was thinking two boxes that would sit on the shelf under the access cab seats that could be easily removed and put in the bed if I need the extra seating. Fortunately the stock enclosures are only about a cubic foot, so I could make the new enclosures pretty small. Argh, if only there was a way to cram these under the rear seats without cutting holes in the floor!

note: there *appears* to be a driver on opposing sides of the enclosure, it's actually a driver and a passive sub, the changing air pressure inside the sealed enclosure causing the passive sub to move.

I guess this isn't much of a question, I guess I'm just looking for ideas. It would be nice to reuse these.

·
Registered
639 Posts
First don't trust the wattage most companies put on their products, Pioneer will say an amp is a 2000 watt amp, but in reality its only around 500rms. Second you're gonna have to figure out the resistance on the voice coils with the subs. Probably gonna end up being more work than its worth.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just figuring out the resistance? It's 3.3 ohms, says so in the manual. The manual also says that the amp delivers 2700 peak, mostly to overcome the resistance of the large magnet and pressure of the sealed enclosure.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"however, the the enormous back-electromotive force generated as a consequence of its large motion and giant magnet causes the current flow to be much less than if it were a 3.3 ohm resistor. It is this singular property of the driver that allows the woofer to be approximately ten times more efficient than a woofer this size would normally be. Hence, the average input power is substantially less than 2700 watts, and is approximately 380 watts for most musical material on the loudest passages."

Does this mean I only need a 400-some-odd watt amp?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know. It wouldn't be worth it to get them fixed back to factory (why I ended up with them in the first place), so I'll probably just hook them up to an external amp. I've got one of them hooked up to one of the channels on my 280W stereo right now, oh my god. Now I can do a decent job of irritating my parents!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts