Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts
so I bought a Sequoia that has 287,000 miles.

ABS Light is ON.
TRAC light is ON.
VSC light is ON.
Brake light is ON.
Check engine is ON.
Did i make a bad move?
The engine and tranmission are very smooth and powerful.
I've been reading up on these forums but i get mixed answers on what fixes this:

1-Brake fluid.
2-MAF sensor cleaning.
3-oxygen sensor change.
4-bad or loose Gas cap

anything else i should have my mechanic check? how bad of a pickle am I in right now please advise?

I really like this SUV.

In fact i love it that's why i bought it.

I know lot of folks out there will be like WTF did you just do but this was very cheap and i have always been in love with tundras, tacomas, sequoias and land cruisers and I had to buy this to experience this SUV.

thank you all for your advice and support
sincerely

-SadMonkey

-SM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also the previous owner said the SUV would randomly stall.
I've been driving in the neighborhood for the past 10 mins.
No stalling but the dashboard is all lit up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get an OBD2 scanner and check the codes. You can find a cheap one online or get an auto parts store to read the codes. The check engine light will automatically disable the Trac/VSC and turn on those warning lights. The brake light is a relatively common issue that some people are able to cure by filling up the master cylinder with fresh fluid.

Regardless, you need to get the codes first. The check engine light is probably a separate issue from the brakes. But, it could just be an emissions code (like the gas cap you mentioned). A dirty MAF would probably present drive ability issues but they are not hard to clean. Just purchase the proper MAF cleaner. CRC makes a great one.

The truck could still have a lot of life left in it. How much did it cost?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for responding.
I thought I havea crappy SUV and an even crappier post and no one thinks its worth responding to :(
you made my day. THANK YOU.

So i bought it for $2125.00( i overpaid as per kbb.com and high mileage) and honestly i do feel like it has a lot of life left.
everything on this suv works except the reading lights on the driver side and the rear gate is locked or stuck whatever i need to figure that out.

the brake does feel weak. like the pedal is very low and i gotta pump it a lot to make it stop.
i hope its just little things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is it a 4wd? I don't think you overpaid. Do you have any experience working on cars? There are a lot of resources online for these trucks. Lots of youtube videos.

Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If the pads are low than it is also probably low. The brakes might need to be bled, too. That is not a hard procedure but it is a little tricky if you've never done it before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sir its a 2WD and no sir i do not have experience fixing cars.
i do have someone who can do basic maintenance on these SUVs.

i just got the multi-point inspection report from the toyota dealership and there is a ton of things that need fixing.

engine oil leak.
brake fluid leak.
power steering leak.
transmission oil leak.
busted/leaking/loose suspension parts like rack and pinion , ball joints,control arms, struts.sway bar bushings,
cylinder#2 misfire
throttle body dirty
serpentine belt cracking
batter is dead ( i need to jump start it)
etc etc

i feel like these are maintenance items that the previous owner did not do.
but even with all these items the SUV runs like dream...OMG !....so either the dealership is BS or this SUV is built to run like a champ even with all these flaws.....i mean this runs better than my top condition 170,000 2007 honda pilot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should address the brake fluid ASAP. At least keep it full of fluid, even with the leak. That should be your #1 priority so you don't kill yourself or anyone around you trying to drive it. Keep the others topped off and they'll probably be fine in the meantime.

The misfire could likely be a coil pack. Not hard to replace at all. You should also replace the spark plugs, too. Throttle body is relatively easy to clean.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Welcome to the site. First thing you can do is familiarize yourself with this website. Lots of helpful threads already exist and most times any questions you have, would have already been asked and answered. Like when you do get the code read type the number into the box that says "Search Community" and hit enter. It will take you to any threads that have that number. Or type anything else in there you want to search.
Like LookingUp said, no point in worrying till you know what exactly is wrong with it.
The other thing is the dealers list of things wrong. More than likely yes, they are full of crap. Their job is to rid you of your hard earned money not help you so I wouldnt sweat the brake leak or anything else unless you know for sure its a problem. Maybe you do have a brake leak, or maybe you just have some sort of oil stain they say is a leak. Is the pedal soft, does it take a long time to stop?
In my opinion the biggest thing to look at with your purchase is rust. I dont think you said what year it is but guessing with that type of mileage its older. If you live in the rust belt that can destroy a vehicle. Again, do a search on here for something like frame rust or frame recall to see what I mean.
Either way post back how you make out with the code. Too often people sign up here with a problem then never come back to say what the outcome is. You could be helping out someone else if you do that. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi there
thank you again for your responses.

So my Sequoia's year is 2004.
I'm headed to walmart to get brake fluid.
i live in DFW area in Texas and the SUV is DFW based too so no rust at all !!!
its shiny clean inside out and under the hood.

and yes i will post all the codes i see and what i did to help others out.
:)

should i replace all coils and spark plugs or just the ones listed in the dealership report( #2)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i just checked these following fluids:

Brake-Looks good.
Power Steering: Looks Good.
Engine Oil. Very low.
Coolant: reservoir is low but i see some in the radiator.i tried to add some in the reservoir but it started dripping. so i guess i need to fix the crack with flex-seal spray or something like that....

but ill go ahead and get the battery swapped since its dead. ill drive slow since the oil is low..or maybe add 3 or 4 quarts of cheap oil first then drive.... i dunno....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and cheapskate the brake pedal feels like...its way down there and there isnt much play maybe like 2~3 inches in the pedal and needs to be pushed in hard to make the vehicle stop....skinny rotor perhaps? brake oil level is full.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also i see the toyota report talks about catalytic converter and then i saw this video...

the gentleman fixed his VSC TRAC AND ABS Light by replacing his O2( oxygen sensor) and i found an unbranded new on ebay for $15-$17...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
also i see the toyota report talks about catalytic converter and then i saw this video...

the gentleman fixed his VSC TRAC AND ABS Light by replacing his O2( oxygen sensor) and i found an unbranded new on ebay for $15-$17...

Thoughts?
This is why you need to check the codes. Advance Auto or Autozone will read them for you.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You said the engine oil was really low. As in you cant see any at all on the dip stick or its visible but barely showing? None at all I would say add one quart at a time till you know its in the normal range. Dont put 3 quarts in all at once. Over full is no better than under. If its just a little low probably not a big deal till you get it changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when i checked the oil level.......dip stick has a tiny dot at the end instead of the entire or half or quarter section of bottom of dipstick being covered in oil.
the toyota report did say the "oils" ( plural) are leaking

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OIL Changed.
Battery swapped out.

drove for an hour....

check engine light/TRAC/VSC....

My mechanic buddy's OBD Scan tool showed OXYGEN SENSOR Codes.

We will change that out and hopefully( like in the video above) it will fix all the disco lights in my dashboard

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Not from personal experience, but from what I have read on here, buy only Denso 02 sensors. Apparently Bosch do not work well with these vehicles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
4 Participants
cheapskate
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing