Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone disconnected the exhaust behind the cat and left it in place? I heard someone with a GM do this, truck sounded great.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Agreed with H2O, sitting in an idling truck with raw exhaust fumes floating up into the cab is a real bad idea. The question is what exactly are you looking for? Better sound, more power, low cost,all of the above?

Reactions: H2O_MAN

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Better sound and low cost are pretty easy, lots of options out there. You could just replace your muffler for probably $150, it wouldnt lose you any power and would sound better. Much cheaper than a full cat back option. Just try and avoid aluminized steel vs stainless. Yes, the cost up front will be less but look at the warranty and you will see they are more expensive in the long run. Most aluminized gives a 1 year warranty vs stainless that come with lifetime warranty.
You didnt say what year but here's a bunch to have a look at to give you idea's of cost. And CarID is a supporting vendor on this site so if you do end up buying something you could get a deal from them if you say you are a member on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better sound and low cost are pretty easy, lots of options out there. You could just replace your muffler for probably $150, it wouldnt lose you any power and would sound better. Much cheaper than a full cat back option. Just try and avoid aluminized steel vs stainless. Yes, the cost up front will be less but look at the warranty and you will see they are more expensive in the long run. Most aluminized gives a 1 year warranty vs stainless that come with lifetime warranty.
You didnt say what year but here's a bunch to have a look at to give you idea's of cost. And CarID is a supporting vendor on this site so if you do end up buying something you could get a deal from them if you say you are a member on this site.

thank you a ton. I have a 2003. This gives me a lot of options,

·
Registered
9,284 Posts

Here's a link to a thread that may shed some light on an exhaust system for a Tundra.
Makes for some interesting reading, no doubt.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,283 Posts
Contact Keith at BAMuffler, I think he will sell you just a replacement muffler that you can weld or clamp in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts