Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I will replace the door speakers in my Tundra. I had been debating on disconnecting the dash speakers anyway, and now I've been reading that the dash speakers are connected to the fronts, and if you swap in aftermarket speakers you need to disconnect the dash speakers or the new door speakers won't be getting the proper ohms or impedance...don't remember which I read. Bottom line is it sounds like the dash speakers need to be disconnected.

My question is: Will just disconnecting the wires at the speaker solve the issue with the aftermarket door speakers, or does it need to be disconnected at the harness? I have my harness hooked up to my Pioneer deck ready to go in and would like to get a firm answer on this before I install it.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are absolutely convinced that you don't want to run new wiring and that you want to bypass the front dash speakers, there may be another option: you will have to take the harness at the front dash speaker and either cut it or run two jumpers. Your front dash speakers are run in parallel with your door speakers so there are actually 4 wires in the harness to each dash speaker. On the driver's side dash speaker harness, you will connect the yellow wire to the black wire (+) and the white wire to the orange wire (-). On the passenger's side dash speaker harness, you will connect the light green wire to the green wire (+) and the blue wire to the red wire (-). This will effectively bypass your front speakers. When I pulled my front dash speakers the other day, I noticed that they were actually 4 ohm speakers. If you left those in parallel with your db6501s, they would really throw your impedance off (would be a 2 ohm load). That wouldn't be a terribly bad thing since your amp is probably 2 ohm stable but it would be sending the same amount of power to that little dash speaker that it is sending to your component set..... I highly doubt that tiny speaker could take that without being damaged or sounding terrible. I also have the wiring schematic with wire colors labeled if you need it.

-Wes

P.S. Dont worry about your tweeters sounding too bright. I find these Polk silk domes to not be harsh at all and it helps that they are not aimed directly at your ears in that location. Worst case, you can select the -3db setting on your crossover.
This is some information that was given to me on a post of mine.
I just installed new front door speakers yesterday, and I ran new speaker wire from the amp to the door speaker so that I would not have impedence problems, but this is good information if this is the direction you want to go.
SScott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is some information that was given to me on a post of mine.
I just installed new front door speakers yesterday, and I ran new speaker wire from the amp to the door speaker so that I would not have impedence problems, but this is good information if this is the direction you want to go.
SScott
Yikes. I disconnected the dash speakers for now, and I'll deal with any issues that arise later I guess. I just installed my Pioneer 4100, and I can't even think about doing anymore wiring right now. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay disconnecting the dash speakers at the speaker is a bad idea. It cuts all sound to your front door speakers too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the process of installing a couple of Kenwood amps (mono for Polk db1040 and 4 channel for F/R speakers), pair of DB6501s up front and DB651s in the rear of a CrewMax. For those of you that have run new wire to the rear door speakers, how did you get the wire by the connector in the pillar that houses the OEM speaker wires? Did you drill a hole for the new wires? Both of my amps have speaker level inputs so I need to tap off of the factory speakers. I will be runnning new wires from the amp to the Polks so can I leave the factory speakers "hooked up" so I will get the signal that I need to turn on the amp?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Maybe this will help and hopefully it's not too small:

My quoted text above may be hard to follow until you see the schematic. You have to be careful because, as you can see, Toyota changes the wire coloring several times all the way to the speaker. As I've said, I just found it easier to run new wiring but you can completely bypass the dash speaker if you know what you're doing (i.e. make jumpers for the plug or cut the wires and connect).

-Wes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts