Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I disengage the 4wd on my Tundra, I'm hearing a clunk sound toward the front of the truck. It only makes the sound when I have the accelerator pushed. If I am coasting and disengage the 4wd I do not hear a clunk. Is this normal? Should I be making sure that the accelerator is not pushed when disengaging?

Engaging the 4wd, there is no clunk, whether coasting or pushing on the accelerator.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
You should not engage or disengage the 4WD while your foot is on the accelerator pedal. You also must be below a specified speed also but can't recall what that is for sure. Also, not to drive over 60mph in 4WD. But you will still probably get a clunk when disengaging the 4WD not matter what you do.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
peid said:
...You also must be below a specified speed also but can't recall what that is for sure. Also, not to drive over 60mph in 4WD.
no faster than 55 to engage 4wd. You can go as fast as you want once you're in 4WD.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I had to use 4Hi this weekend when I was in the Catskill Mountains in NY...I noticed the same thing but also noticed that disengaging from 4HI when stopped and then accelerating I got a "clunk" several seconds afterwards....is this a problem???....this is how my Chevy Blazer started and it got worse and worse till it slammed everytime you engaged or disengaged it....so there is always a "clunk" no matter what when disengaging???

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
What you describe is normal. As long as there's some tension on the drivetrain it may not engage or disengage quietly. This seems to vary on different trucks. I've heard the same sounds/feels as you have most times in or out of 4HI. Once in a while if I can hold the brake/accel pedal just right it'll shift very smoothly without the noise.

Larry

·
Registered
279 Posts
The clunk is normal. Its a truck, a piece of machinery with moving working parts. There is going to be some noise. And i wouldnt worry about your 4wd messing up on you like that chevy;)

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Tarpon said:
The clunk is normal. Its a truck, a piece of machinery with moving working parts. There is going to be some noise. And i wouldnt worry about your 4wd messing up on you like that chevy;)
Thanks...I will note though, despite what people may say, that CHEVY treated me good as it hit 195,000 miles and the only problem/repair I had was with that darn DexCool coolant mudding up the radiator and cost a new water pump....so at 9 yrs and 195K the tranny gave up its ghost.. So I can't really complain about my CHEVY. I got one of the VERY FEW reliable ones....but I am a convert now and LOVE the Tundra DC....hope she keeps my confidence!

·
Registered
294 Posts
pistolpete said:
Thanks...I will note though, despite what people may say, that CHEVY treated me good as it hit 195,000 miles and the only problem/repair I had was with that darn DexCool coolant mudding up the radiator and cost a new water pump....so at 9 yrs and 195K the tranny gave up its ghost.
We had a GMC and had the same problem with the DexCool. The guy who replaced the radiator said he had been replacing radiators for over 25 years and that was the worst one he had ever seen. Besides the radiator that thing went through about 4 transmissions and constantly ate alternators. You should be happy that your chevy treated you well. From what I've seen you are very lucky.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The parts that actually engage and disengage the front differential have to slide. If there is pressure on them from accelerating, decelerating, or turning, they may stick, then let go with a clunk. You will do these parts a favor if you engage and disengage 4wd when you are not putting any force on these parts.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Tundra 4W and it makes a similar sound. I have a different problem. When in 4W drive, and I press the button to disengage and go back to 2W drive it blinks a little and then just stays in 4W high. My friend tapped on the side of the differential box and that seemed to help a couple times.
Anyone else have problems with the truck not going out of 4W high and back into 2W drive?
Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts