Toyota Tundra Forums banner

DIY: All NAV Functions All The Time without Firmware Downgrade!

57K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  brmann7 
#1 ·
The factory NAV unit in my 07 Tundra is great but it has an irritating and poorly-designed safety feature which disables many of the functions and on-screen buttons whenever the vehicle is in motion. This is done presumably to prevent the driver from being distracted while driving, however it doesn't take into account that the front seat passengers will want to use those functions (especially on long trips). This is a common problem on many vehicle NAV systems and there are literally dozens of threads and thousands of posts on forums all over the web with vehicle owners seeking a solution to enable all the NAV functions while in motion.

For the 07 Tundra you can purchase or burn a modified firmware DVD which will enable the functions, however this can be expensive, the burning process is tricky and requires a specific hardware / software setup, the bypass function has to be initialized every time you start the vehicle, and you will lose the bypass function if you upgrade to the newer factory firmware when it is released.

The ideal solution was to find some type of hardware modification which will work with most NAV units and won't be tied to a specific firmware version. Obviously I wanted something cheap, fairly easy to acquire, easy to install, automatic to use, and reliable. I came up with the perfect solution after hundreds of hours of research, firmware evaluations, vehicle wiring tests, and some basic electronics tinkering.

The answer was to build my own speed pulse generator which would replicate the signal from the Tundra at 1 kmph so that the functions would all stay enabled all the time regardless of the firmware version. The parts cost about $15 and it works like a charm. You can see the photos and details in my latest installation report by clicking here and then scrolling down to report #16 - NAV Speed Pulse Generator.

Enjoy. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: MOD: All NAV Functions All The Time without Firmware Downgrade!

Very interesting. Great work as usual. I'm interested but have one question: When you do the hybrid disc with the older loading file injected it will enable the controls accept for the phone functions and a couple other small things. Will this single mod allow for everything to work while in motion??

#3 ·

Very interesting. Great work as usual. I'm interested but have one question: When you do the hybrid disc with the older loading file injected it will enable the controls accept for the phone functions and a couple other small things. Will this single mod allow for everything to work while in motion??
Yep. You just connect the speed pulse generator with the toggle switch and all the NAV functions work all the time. No need to use the old firmware, burn any DVDs, or lose any functions. It is not dependent on other mods at all. I suspect it will also work with the new 7.1 firmware which was recently released.

#4 ·

ok wilee i give. how can i post that i figured out how the ashtray works and your making Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulators for the truck :cry:.
uncle

#5 ·

ok wilee i give. how can i post that i figured out how the ashtray works and your making Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulators for the truck :cry:.
uncle
LOL

Actually, I should have patented my mod as the "Illudium PU-36" which was the revised model name for the space modulator. Somehow I don't think it would have been read or used by as many people though, so I will stick with the simpler "NAV speed pulse generator" term for now. :)

#6 ·

The simplest and most elegant solution yet. Cheap, easy, and effective, I knew there was an easy way to cheat the system - the toughest part, to me, is going to be getting the nav unit out.

A couple questions: First off, did you need to match an input voltage for the pulse? If so, did you have to choose capacitor and resistor values at random? Or did you sit down do the back calculations and design the circuit that way? Did the 555 timer come with a wiring diagram dictating R and C values for corresponding output voltages/signal frequencies? This makes me want to get out my electronics engineering book from school and see if I can still do this type of stuff.

Also, you may want to mention in your online report that this circuit can be built on a breadboard that will allow for little or no soldering as long as you know how the nodes on the board work.

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Component parts: Breadboards & IC sockets: 6" Modular IC Breadboard Socket

Anyways, nice work. I wish I had as much time as you to come up with all this neat stuff. Now get to work on the power rear window!! :D

#7 ·

It is very easy to get the NAV unit out. The instructions are included with the metra dash kit which you can download here. I was dreading this part of the install but it was so easy that I was super-confident when it came time to start cutting all the NAV wires in the dash. :eek:

First I measured the speed sensor input voltage from the factory wire and it seemed to fluctuate between 0-10.6 volts DC depending on the speed. I feared that the sloped voltage might be critical but then I figured I only needed to emulate the 1 km/h signal so it could probably be fixed. I tested it with fixed 9 and 12 volts DC input signals and both seemed to work although I only tested them briefly for fear of harming my NAV. The final device has a capacitor on the output line which reduces the effective voltage to 0-1 volts DC and it still works as long as the pulse timing is right, so it looks like the voltage is not as critical after all.

I did a few calculations based on some 555 timer IC info which I found on the web. The IC did come with a small sheet but it was only for astable mode and we wanted monostable. Once I knew that the R and C values were close I just purchased potentiometers so I could trim them to exact values as needed. As luck would have it the max settings were right on the money and worked out without tuning, at least on my vehicle.

The breadboard isn't a bad idea but it is a little big and I believe that a mobile component should be soldered, especially if you bury it in your dash. You don't want to hit a hard pothole one day and lock your NAV functions back up... :eek:

I am really torn on which mod to complete next. I have the ACME parts and plans ready for several projects including the blind-spot cameras, remote gas door lock, and the power rear window slider for my DC. I also have a top-secret mod which I may not actually install, but if I do then it will be visible for miles around and will help me find my truck in a crowded parking lot at night. Think high power visible green lasers... errr.... I didn't say that.... ;)

#9 ·

Wile E., have you dug through the contents of the Nav DVD's files with a hex editor at all?

I extracted the contents of the Nav DVD yesterday but have only done a quick skim of the files for suspect text strings that contain function on/off switches. I was using Hex Workshop for viewing.

#11 ·

How does this mod affect the dead reconing (sp?) feature of the nav?

If you don't have enough sats in view will it still keep the vehicle at the correct point on the maps?

I am sure it is rare to not have a bunch of sats in view, but it could happen.

#12 ·

Wile E., have you dug through the contents of the Nav DVD's files with a hex editor at all?

I extracted the contents of the Nav DVD yesterday but have only done a quick skim of the files for suspect text strings that contain function on/off switches. I was using Hex Workshop for viewing.
Yes, I did experiment with this. I used Power Grep 3 which allows viewing, searching, and editing the raw file content. I found several sections of text which I tried to replace or rename. The files edited, saved, and burned fine. Then the modified firmware DVD started to load fine too but it would eventually crap out just before activating the application. I think it was a checksum error or perhaps I edited some key data improperly. I ultimately decided to anandon this since I wanted a hardware mod anyway. Even if I could modify the old firmware I would still want to upgrade to the newest version each time, and with the hardware mod then all my enhancements stay in effect.

#13 ·

How does this mod affect the dead reconing (sp?) feature of the nav?

If you don't have enough sats in view will it still keep the vehicle at the correct point on the maps?

I am sure it is rare to not have a bunch of sats in view, but it could happen.
It does have a very minor impact to the NAV function but it is negligible - it just makes the maps scroll a little less smoothly when you are traveling at high speed with all the functions enabled. If you use the toggle switch option then in the event of a GPS failure you could just switch it back to factory mode and no problem. Where on earth will you be without at least 2-3 satellites in range? The only place I can think of is underground in a long tunnel, or possibly in a very steep and deep mountain valley, and in those cases you would know where you are at and you wouldn't have a lot of directional options anyway.

Read my report on my mod site for the details. The link is in my signature line.

#14 ·

Update 9/23/2007:
My speed pulse generator report has been updated with several changes. You can view it here and then select report # 16 - NAV Speed Pulse Generator.

The first change, by popular demand, is an option to buy one of these if you can't make your own - see the Comments section in the new report for details.

The other changes are related to a new and improved circuit design. The circuit changes should make it easier to build the device and less likely for anyone to damage it during installation. On the previous design if you shorted a wire or hooked it up wrong then the 555 Timer IC would be fried thus rendering the device useless. It is a real pain to de-solder and replace the IC so I added an IC socket that will let you unplug the IC and replace it with a new one in just a few seconds. Most people shouldn't need to replace the IC but if you do something stupid then it is at least a cheap easy fix thanks to the socket.

I also found during additional testing that the three 100K ohm potentiometers were not truly needed since they slowed down the pulse quite a bit when set to the maximum setting, plus if someone turned them all down to the minimum setting at the same time then they would burn up the IC. So the revised circuit only uses one 100K ohm potentiometer in series with a 33K ohm resistor. This provides a more practical pulse rate range that is still adjustable and it prevents the IC from being damaged when the potentiometer is turned to the minimum setting.

I also replaced the 1K ohm potentiometer with a 1K ohm resistor since this doesn't need to be adjusted and the resistor is cheaper / easier to install.

Finally, I used a smaller circuit board and project box so the device would take up a little less space.

I have been using my device for a while now and it is great to drive around with all NAV functions available all the time. No more stupid lockout feature and I can upgrade to the new firmware whenever I want to without losing the bypass.

Several people have asked if this will work with other NAV units and vehicles. Based on my research I think that it will work with many other NAV units and vehicles but obviously I only tested it on my 07 Tundra DC Limited so no guarantees. The mod is cheap enough at $15 for parts so why not build your own and try it out?

Enjoy. :)

#15 ·

Update: many of you asked me to build a NAV unlocking device for you. I originally didn't want to do this because my time is limited but I agreed to help a few people out and my inbox started filling with orders. So I made a batch of the devices and just sold the last one tonight. If you still want a device then PM me now and if I get enough orders then I will make a second batch. See my updated install report for details if you want to make your own:

2007 Toyota Tundra Installation Report by WileETundra

I am anxious for the other forum members to report their results once they get it installed. No more burning DVDs or losing functionality while in motion. :tu::tu::tu: :)

#16 ·

Got my box built today. Just need to hook it up and see what happens.

(you can monitor the speed pulses by accessing the diagnostic menu and selecting the Navigation Menu... Vehicle Sensors option) How do you get to this screen? I have looked at all the available menu functions and can't seem to find. I have the 6.1 version.

Thanks

#17 ·

Got my box built today. Just need to hook it up and see what happens.

(you can monitor the speed pulses by accessing the diagnostic menu and selecting the Navigation Menu... Vehicle Sensors option) How do you get to this screen? I have looked at all the available menu functions and can't seem to find. I have the 6.1 version.

Thanks
Turn on the truck with the headlights off and let the NAV unit boot up. Hold down the INFO button on the NAV for 3 seconds, then continue to hold it down while you turn the parking lights on, off, on, off, on, off. The diagnostic menu will appear and you can release the INFO button. When finished with the menus just hold down the DISP key for 5 seconds and the NAV unit will reboot.

#18 ·

I made a second batch as promised however it sold out in less than 2 days. I guess there are a lot of NAV owners on this forum that want to enable all of the functions. So I was waiting at the mall today for the wife to finish shopping and I went into Radio Shack. They had a huge overstock on parts and were bagging the excess stuff up to send it to other stores. I told them to wait and they let me dig through the bags. I found a ton of the circuit parts for the NAV mod, which is rare since most stores normally only cary 1-2 of each item in stock, so I took this as a sign from above that I should build a few more. I went ahead and purchased enough parts to build 8 more NAV speed pulse generators! :confused:

My wife thinks I am crazy but I am trying to help people out. My generosity has limits, though, so this will be my third and final batch then I am moving on to work on my other mods. So if you want to buy a pre-built NAV speed pulse generator to enable all of your NAV functions then PM me soon otherwise my install report has all the info that you will need to build your own. First-come = first-served.

For those that have installed one of these please share your experience. It will be nice to know a lot of Tundra owners are enjoying full NAV function despite the stupid lockout that the Toyota legal department tried to force on us with a bad design.

My NAV is heavily modded and I am enjoying every bit of it! :tu:

#19 ·

hello,

I AM SELLING MY ECLIPSE AVN30D that has only been used for a week and a half, if ANYONE IS INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT ME AT dandefronzo@yahoo.com the unit is in perfect condition, no scratches or any problems at all. All who are interested please contact me by email and I will respond VERY promptly, also please include your offer in your email, please be reasonable and considerate with your offer's this unit is practically brand new, it was barley used, and was professionally installed and uninstalled. Everything is included with the unit.

#20 ·

hello,

I AM SELLING MY ECLIPSE AVN30D that has only been used for a week and a half, if ANYONE IS INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT ME AT dandefronzo@yahoo.com the unit is in perfect condition, no scratches or any problems at all. All who are interested please contact me by email and I will respond VERY promptly, also please include your offer in your email, please be reasonable and considerate with your offer's this unit is practically brand new, it was barley used, and was professionally installed and uninstalled. Everything is included with the unit.
Does this look like a for sale section? This is a good way to remain a long time member of this forum. :td:

#21 ·

This may very well be the coolest site ever. I need to try these mods out! On a scale of 1-10, for a total newbie, how would you rate the speed pulse generator construction difficulty? I do not have the NAV, but am considering an OEM purchase and home installation. Whilst i have the dash apart, throwing that bad boy in there should be easy.

#22 ·

This may very well be the coolest site ever. I need to try these mods out! On a scale of 1-10, for a total newbie, how would you rate the speed pulse generator construction difficulty? I do not have the NAV, but am considering an OEM purchase and home installation. Whilst i have the dash apart, throwing that bad boy in there should be easy.
Making the generator device from scratch would be a difficulty level of 8 or 9 for someone that hasn't soldered on circuit boards before. If you have some soldering experience then it should be much easier, but still about a 5 or 6 since you still need to carefully align all the parts, bend the jumpers precisely, and take your time not to short any pins. Good luck if you decide to try it. The parts are cheap enough so why not give it a shot?

#23 ·

I have to thank you WileETundra.

I decided to make one of these this weekend (actually two), but instead of using the board you used, I decided to make my own board.

I got my inspiration from you and this site Documento senza titolo

So I started by making a schematic and using ExpressPCB to make my component / trace layouts. (If you want the layout file, let me know and I will post it.)

Here are the files used (PDF).

Edit: If you decide to use these files to print your own mask, then be sure to select none in the page scaling box under the paper handling section. The image should print to the correct scale.

Attachments

#24 ·

So after I got those made, I cut out a page from a magazine to print the traces on.

Then I ironed the traces onto the cleaned board. (I used RadioShack's "Printed Circuit Board Design Kit" Part Number 276-1576.)

Then I soaked the board in the sink with a little soap in the water. Once the paper was softened, I started pealing it off and then rubbed the remaining paper off to reveal a masked board.

After I cleaned it up by using a sharpee to ensure the mask was good in some of the thin spots, and an exacto to scrape the toner that blead a bit making some of the traces get a bit too close, I soaked the board in the Ferric Chloride solution. Then rinse (a lot) and cut the boards apart to make 6 individual boards.

Next I drilled the holes in the lands.

Then I populated the board with the components.

The grease on the back is actually flux.

Then I soldered the components.

Then I soldered on the wires, red +, Black -, green signal.

There you have it, a custom board for your Speed Pulse Generator.

Multiple boards just ready to be populated.

Now, since I have both a Camry Hybrid and a Tundra with navigation, I decided to make two of these. I just need to install them now.

I plan to run down to the local electronics parts house (EPO, Electronic Parts Outlet) and get some large heat shrink that will fit over the board instead of installing it in a project box. That is why I tried to make the board as small as possible. I had thought about potting it in epoxy, but think the large heat shrink will be better.

One other item I changed was the capacitors. I decided to use axial lead capacitors to keep the body closer to the board and it just worked out better with my trace routing. (Also, the local RadioShack did not have 4 22uf radial lead caps in stock, but had 4 axial lead caps in stock.) The part number for the axial lead 22uf capacitor is 272-1014.

#25 ·

Great work AG4EVER!

I am familiar with etching PCBs but decided against it since it takes a lot longer and requires more supplies than just making the circuit from scratch. With my revised layout there are fewer jumpers needed and for those I just bend over the excess component leads and solder them to the next connection point. I also wanted a design that others could make easily if they had the soldering skills.

An important note for anyone trying this at home: my original design did use 2 capacitors, one of them on the output line which kept the output voltage close to 0 volts and created a negative pulse. This was picked up by my NAV unit just fine but after a few weeks the output capacitor went bad. It could have been due to a bad capacitor or it could have been the stress of the negative pulse / return voltage from the NAV. So just to be safe I removed the output capacitor and now the unit outputs ~12 volts and drops toward zero briefly for each pulse. My NAV still picks up the pulse just fine so I am going to update my install report and schematic soon with the new info.

And for all of you that want one of these but can't make it for yourself: I sold out of three batches in no time but I built a fourth batch due to all the PMs that kept rolling in and I still have a few of those left. These new units use the single capacitor design and have been tested extensively just like the others. PM me if interested and I will send you payment instructions then ship via priority mail the day after your payment arrives.

#26 ·

WileETundra,

So when the output capacitor went out, what did the NAV do?

When you were doing the initial investigation, I think you measured various voltages between 0 and 12v. Is that correct? If so, then there really should not be any problem with 12v going to the nav.

Another mod that I was thinking about was the potentiometer. Since this circuit only uses one "fixed" resistance across it, could it not also be replaced with a resistor? All we are looking for is a fixed voltage drop every 2 seconds, so an appropriate resistor should do the job. Correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.