but i still run into the same problem.
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation
flow insufficent .
car is due for an emiision test and it has failed
egr, vsv and modulator was replace
and i still got the same code
im running out of options and money just trying to fix this problem
the only thing i havent replace was the vacum lines
did anyone ever run into this problem where you replace all the components and still got the check engine light for a code p0401
plese let me know thanks
and oh yeah i replace the 02 sensor on both ends and the sensor that goes on the air box
(1998 toyota camry 2.2 automatic)

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
hello fellas
this forum was helpful and indeed.
but i still run into the same problem.
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation
flow insufficent .
car is due for an emiision test and it has failed
egr, vsv and modulator was replace
and i still got the same code
im running out of options and money just trying to fix this problem
the only thing i havent replace was the vacum lines
did anyone ever run into this problem where you replace all the components and still got the check engine light for a code p0401
plese let me know thanks
and oh yeah i replace the 02 sensor on both ends and the sensor that goes on the air box
(1998 toyota camry 2.2 automatic)
Make sure the EGR passage in the intake manifold is clean and open.
Also make sure the MAP sensor is working properly. The MAP sensor is what tells the ECU that the EGR is working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the vsv and egr modulater replaced. Now have stuck fuel gauge indicator on full. Could those replacement cause this problem. Thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it matter if I use a non-oem dealer vsv part? I found one by Dorman Part No. 911604 at Rockauto.com for $34. The dealer wants $81.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello first off i wanted to give thanks to everybody in here for all their helpful information. You guys help a no experience with mechanic work what so ever to replace several parts.:ts:

In actually stuck on a point on would like your suggestion to see what would be practical to fix this cursed P0401 error code. Here my situation

-I replaced my VSV and EGR modulator.
-i cleaned my egr valve, the vacuum lines and everything in between with brake disk cleaner(as instructed from a friend).
-While taking my VSV out, i put the replacement VSV next to the firewall for an easy install(read on other forums and everybody said it was ok)(see picture# below).

HERE a Clear Picture

And im still getting this P0401 code. I read from previous post that it is not necessary to buy a new EGR valve because you can just clean the old one out. Im think I finally to the conclusion were i would need to buy new EGR valve and just to get rid of the P0104 code. what do you think?

Attachments

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
I would take the EGR valve off and clean the passage thru the intake manifold first.
Then make sure the diaphram of the EGR valve is good, apply vacuum to the diaphram and make sure it holds. They dont usually go bad, but it can happen, just not very common.
If the EGR VSV/EGRmodulator/EGR valve and all vacuum lines and passages in the throttlebody are good, then the MAP sensor would be the next thing to check.
When the EGR valve opens there is a pressure drop in the intake manifold and the MAP sensor senses this and this is how it knows if the EGR valve is opening or not and when it doesnt sense the pressure drop it sets the p0401.
The wiring to the ecu would also be something to check as well as the ECU itself. These are rare at least for what I have seen, but I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright thanks for the quick response.
I've been using brake disk cleaner to clean all that gunk out of the EGR. Would you recommend that or another cleaning material?

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very fine thanks my good man.

i dont have a hand held vacuum pump or know any body that has one that I can use.
I check my local autozone/O'reilly and they were asking 50-60 for one.
I kinda dont want to buy a part and be stuck with a tool im only gonna use once. Tho i could buy it and return it( dont know if it recommended)

Would it be a more practical idea just to go with my gut feeling and buy the egr valve hoping that the only thing i need to fix, since i been driving around with this p0401 for about a little over half a year now?

thanks for you quick response again mustang!!! :tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I had to join to thank you all for such a useful thread. You saved me a bunch of money. I would like to share one modification that I encountered. For the life of me I could not bust that nut on the old VSV. I tried for several hours from below, through the wheel and from above with no luck and just sore knuckles for my effort. I suspect that my socket may be to thick to fit into the recess of the VSV and, therefore, I did not get adequate purchase to reef down on the wrench. I was about to give up and take the 91 Camry to the shop but I saw the posts suggesting alternate locations for the VSV, so I just abandoned the old VSV and installed the new VSV on one of the available threaded holes to the left of the old VSV- easily accessible and within the reach of the hoses and the electrical connector. I posted two pictures- one showing the location of the threaded holes and the other with the new VSV installed. Please note that I purchased a short 10M x 1.25mm bolt and used the upper threaded hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replying to post 59 Alex13. Thanks for the idea, relocated the VSV same as you did. Had to flip around the bracket from the VSV bought from Autozone, now it matches the VSV in your picture. On my car 2000 Toyota Camry LE 4cyl the VSV bolt is out of reach so just unplugged the blue connector by reaching in from the passenger side, with wheel removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also recently relocated the VSV to the same bolt hole on the intake. Used the same hoses, uncut. Looped the slack underneath. 2001 Camry CE

Makes me wonder though if the design of the system for some reason needs the VSV located where it is from the factory. Temperature factor? Just seems odd that it doesn't come installed in the engine bay, conveniently, and apparently logically, near the two other EGR components.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts