Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you mean the fog lights, yes, I have them and this works. All you are doing is changing the turn signal flasher and adding a jumper wire. Interestingly enough, Toyota now offers the DRL's as a stand alone option instead of bundling it with the side curtain airbags.
So since it is a stand alone option on the 2008, do you think dealers can install it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did this mod last week (great instructions, BTW and thanks). My DRL's come on when I remove the parking brake on my truck ('08 Tacoma Access Cab, 4cl, 5 spd) but they only stay on for about 2 minutes. Activating the turn signals makes the DRL's come back on, but again for only 2 minutes. Any suggestions? Should I try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer?

Thanks-

·
Registered
82 Posts
So since it is a stand alone option on the 2008, do you think dealers can install it?
When I bought my 08 I asked the dealer if they could install them. The sales guy called me back and said it would be about $3500.00 plus they would need the truck for a week! The service manager indicated that a whole new CPU and wiring harness (for the entire truck) would have to be installed as the part numbers were different.
I laughed and still bought the truck and ordered the relay and jumper plug. Took me about an hour to install in a hotel parking lot.
The sales guy called me a few days later asking me about it. He laughed at there own service department. (Harrisburg Toyota) and told me he would be sure to tell his service manager how easy it was.
If you think about it though, the Toyota tech's probably to very little replacement of specefic components like that. They just look up part numbers, and if the P/N is different they don't really know what the differences are (in my case $80 relay and jumper plug) so they assume that everything has to be replaced.
It was really very simple to do, I would do it your self.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will this work for a 2001 tundra?
No, the part numbers wouldn't even match any port in your truck. DRL's for your year Tundra would be the headlights activated at about 40% intensity, not turn signals. I think you have to have anti lock brakes to have DRL's, something about the body ECU, in a Tundra. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Want to add DRL's to my recently purchased 08 Tacoma, but I can't find the parts I need on a few websites I checked (including TRDParts4U.com). Where can I buy the parts short of going to the stealership?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Want to add DRL's to my recently purchased 08 Tacoma, but I can't find the parts I need on a few websites I checked (including TRDParts4U.com). Where can I buy the parts short of going to the stealership?

I ordered 2 sets of parts (relay and harness) when I did my 08.
Your welcome to the second set as they are just in my garage still in the package.

If your interested, name me a price and I'll mail them to you. I'm in South Carolina, so shipping shouldn't be too much.

Shawn

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ordered 2 sets of parts (relay and harness) when I did my 08.
Your welcome to the second set as they are just in my garage still in the package.

If your interested, name me a price and I'll mail them to you. I'm in South Carolina, so shipping shouldn't be too much.

Shawn
So Guys, what I am getting from this is that my 2000 Toyota Tundra that did not come with factory DRL and ABS, I cannot install and enable DRL on my truck?

caribman

·
Registered
44 Posts
With all the Knowledge we have as members here. I keep looking around the forums to get specifics on if anyone had added DRL to a non-drl 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - V8 4.7liter.. My Truck did not come with factory DRL's.. I would like to get them either Universal LED DRL or factory DRL.. To have them work with when the truck is running and off when the head lights are off. Since, my Wife uses my Truck this would be the best way to get them done.. I have posted to other forums here and have not gotten any replies. I have seen the other postings with enable DRL on a non factory truck 2003.

Caribman

·
Registered
44 Posts
Would like to get this done on my 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4.7 liter that did not come with factory DRL.. It does have Auto Lights, meaning you can drive with the lights on and it turns off the lights when you turn off the ignitions. But who wants to drive with the lights on (All Of the Lights) all the time, over time the bulbs will burn out or become dim...
Would like to find how to do this on my specific truck?
Has anyone done this on a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4.7 Liter?

caribman

·
Registered
44 Posts
So Guys, what I am getting from this is that my 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.7L V8 that did not come with factory DRL and ABS, I cannot install and enable DRL on my truck?

caribman

21 - 33 of 33 Posts