Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a DIY for LED's in the puddle lamps for the Limited tundra.

LED's were bought from VLED's. They are a PCB board with 6leds and come with different type of connectors. The small festoon one is the perfect fit for the tundra puddle lamps.

Link to the them: Here

1st step would be to cut around the puddle lamps to get the plastic lose from the clear cover. Once you cut all the way around you can use a small flat head screw driver to carefully pry the lens off.

Then take the old bulb out and place the new festoon with connector in for the LED light.

Then glue or use double sided tape to place the LED on the festoon connector to stay in place. You might also have to cut off the 2 long holders that hold the old festoon bulb in.

Then glue the clear lens back onto the black housing.

Then install the lamp back into the truck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
nice! looks great.

-Tim

·
Registered
375 Posts
At first I thought the light in the wall was from ur mirror then I looked closer haha. Looks awesome. Good job and nice write up. You should figure out how to make tow mirrors autofold now so I don't have to buy 2010 tows haha

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
VooDoo,

Great pictures and write-up. I've been waiting for pics of this DIY. Thanks !!!! What exactly, did you cut? Are you separating the clear plastic cover from the housing or did you have to cut the lens too? Can you provide a little more detail on how to access the housing? I thought I read from VLEDs when he did the mod, that he cut the lens and it wasn't for the faint fo heart......

Any suggestions on how to remove the lens, given what you did?

THANKS Again !!!!!

8SM

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Nice write up. Thanks for the pics!:thumb:
Can you elaborate how you took them out from mirror housing?

Other options.:yo:

That is how the last one looks on v-leds truck But it took some skills to fit it in:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At first I thought the light in the wall was from ur mirror then I looked closer haha. Looks awesome. Good job and nice write up. You should figure out how to make tow mirrors autofold now so I don't have to buy 2010 tows haha
I am not that good yet. I will get some better photos of them installed tonight.

VooDoo,

Great pictures and write-up. I've been waiting for pics of this DIY. Thanks !!!! What exactly, did you cut? Are you separating the clear plastic cover from the housing or did you have to cut the lens too? Can you provide a little more detail on how to access the housing? I thought I read from VLEDs when he did the mod, that he cut the lens and it wasn't for the faint fo heart......

Any suggestions on how to remove the lens, given what you did?

THANKS Again !!!!!

8SM
I just cut a tad bit around the side of the black housing till it got the clear part that stays in side of the housing. Then stuck a small flat head screw driver in and twisted all around the housing very carefully till the clear lens popped off from the black housing. I did not have to cut the whole lens off.

Maybe this image will help trying to explain it

Nice write up. Thanks for the pics!:thumb:
Can you elaborate how you took them out from mirror housing?

Other options.:yo:

That is how the last one looks on v-leds truck But it took some skills to fit it in:D

Do you mean taken the lamp out of the mirror?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks VooDoo..... From your new pic, it looks like the lens is just stuck to the housing with adhesive on the edge and that is the bond you have to break to get to the light.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks VooDoo..... From your new pic, it looks like the lens is just stuck to the housing with adhesive on the edge and that is the bond you have to break to get to the light.
Correct except I dont think it is glue. It looks like the plastic was melted to the clear lens and I forget what the term for it is called. Maybe some type of platic welding??:confused:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks !!!! I was afraid I had to cut into the bottom of the mirror housing, but now know I don't...... points coming your way !!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks !!!! I was afraid I had to cut into the bottom of the mirror housing, but now know I don't...... points coming your way !!!!

Oh, I think I didnt understand your question. No cutting of the mirror is done at all. The lamp has 2 clips to pop out of the mirror. Cant get a photo of it. You take a long small screw driver and you push the clip in(from under the glass of the mirror) and the front side of the lamp comes down a tad bit. Then the other side of the lamp with the only black part on the lens on the outside is the other clip. Then it drops out and you can disconnect the wires. Only cutting needed is on the lamp.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lens will not come off with out cutting. It is completely sealed hosing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Has any one else successfully done this? I really, really want to get those dingy OEM bulbs out of there but this mod does scare me. I am still confused about the removal of the lamp housing from the actual mirror (both what and where to cut and how to get the lamp housing out). Any one else been successful? Thanks everyone!!!

Matt

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has any one else successfully done this? I really, really want to get those dingy OEM bulbs out of there but this mod does scare me. I am still confused about the removal of the lamp housing from the actual mirror (both what and where to cut and how to get the lamp housing out). Any one else been successful? Thanks everyone!!!

Matt
No cutting is needed at all to get the light out of the mirror.;). Its kinda hard to explain and I cant get a photo of it. Cutting is only needed to get the clear lens off to access the light bulb.

The clip off to the side holds it in the mirror(see photo above). You have to take a small long flat head screw driver and push the clip and it releases the lamp from the mirror. if you take a flash light and look in side the mirror you will see what I am talking about. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
awesome mod!! looks great!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
818 Posts
Anyone else got the nerve to take this one on....it is killing me having all my lights white and these two dingy yellow bulbs! Still a little unclear about how to get it out, but I'd like to go at it with someone else at the same time. Any takers?

·
Registered
889 Posts
VooDooDan - awesome mod.

I bought a pair of limited mirrors for my SR5 ( haven't install yet ) ... but it doesn't have the puddle lights. Can you tell me what are the wires color that connect to the puddle lights? The mirror wire harness from my truck to the SR5 mirrors has 13 wires connector... so I'm very sure it has one of the wire for the puddle lights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
VooDooDan,
I hate to keep bugging you, but I don't think any of us that attempt this want to ruin the lamp when we get it out of the mirror. I'm sure a replacement will cost a fortune. I ordered my LEDs tonight. A few questions...

1. Do you cut the black plastic housing back to remove the clear plastic lens, or are you cutting the plastic lens itself? If it is the lens, what is your method for cutting and where?
2. What tool did you use to make your cuts?
3. If the lens is indeed fused to the housing (ie welded), what type of adhesive did you re-attach the lens with? I would hate to go to all this trouble only to have the lens knocked off in a car wash.
4. How long, start to finish, did it take you to do this mod on the driver and passenger side?

Thanks again!!!!

Matt

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
VooDooDan,
I hate to keep bugging you, but I don't think any of us that attempt this want to ruin the lamp when we get it out of the mirror. I'm sure a replacement will cost a fortune. I ordered my LEDs tonight. A few questions...

1. Do you cut the black plastic housing back to remove the clear plastic lens, or are you cutting the plastic lens itself? If it is the lens, what is your method for cutting and where?
2. What tool did you use to make your cuts?
3. If the lens is indeed fused to the housing (ie welded), what type of adhesive did you re-attach the lens with? I would hate to go to all this trouble only to have the lens knocked off in a car wash.
4. How long, start to finish, did it take you to do this mod on the driver and passenger side?

Thanks again!!!!

Matt
1. cutting the black part of the housing just above the clear lens part. Once you start to cut you will see the clear part of the lens that goes in side of the housing. You dont want to cut the lens off of the black housing.

2. I used a small hand saw with a thin blade. You could use a dremmel also.

3. I used hot glue to reseal them. If I run into issues with it I will use some other glue(dont think it will be).

4. It took no more than 30mins total.

08SalsaMax also did this a couple days ago and made a nice little diagram that may help you too
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/172707-crewmax-led-puddle-light-conversion/

1 - 20 of 73 Posts