Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: MAJOR MOD: NAV hacks / Entertainment System

I am saving up my pennies and anxiously awaiting each of your posts so that when I can buy the navi unit, I will have the entire process that you have created memorized. I should be able to do this mod in total darkness with one hand tied behind my back when all is said and done...and I have enough saved for that dang pricey unit. :)

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

OK gang. I am in the middle of developing a website for my Tundra. Not because it is great or anything but because I am getting a lot of PMs, emails, questions, etc. about various mods. I decided to just write each mod up in full detail and post on a website which is easy to navigate without sorting through all the threads and posts. As part of this I do have a bunch of photos of my NAV mods described in this thread. I am still working to put the final finishing touches on the NAV install to make it super-perfect but here are a few pics as a teaser to hold you over... ;)

And before anyone gets upitty... no I am not going to stop posting on this forum. My personal Tundra website is just to house the high-res photos and keep copies of the relevant mod info organized all in one place. It will feature lots of links back to this forum which I think is the best place for questions, sharing, tips, discussions, debates, etc. My website is just going to be a few simple content pages, no ads, no contact info, and the only links will come back to this forum.

Attachments

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Update on the Speed Sensor bypass / Check surroundings disclaimer:

I haven't found a workaround yet for the permanent speed sensor bypass. The toggle switch mod bypasses it for 30-40 seconds at a time which is long enough to enter a phone number, address, or whatever. You can then re-toggle the switch for 30-40 more seconds if needed so I am living with the switch mod for now but still pursuing perfection.

The existing 6.1 firmware is programmed to revert to the GPS input for speed determination if the CAN pulse is missing for more than 30 seconds. The only ways around this are to generate a fake speed pulse which remains at a steady 4 mph or less, or to modify the firmware to enable the functions. I am currently working on both solutions but I suspect that the speed pulse generator will be the best permanent method once I solve it.

I did manage to burn a new NAV DVD with the 6.1 maps and the older 5.1 firmware. It loaded fine in my NAV and I was able to use the override function in the old firmware to enable all the NAV features while the vehicle was in motion. The main problem with this approach is that the old firmware lacks certain features found in the 6.1 firmware: most notably it disables the AUX input function which is a no-go for me since I am now playing DVDs and radio scanner traffic through the second AUX input circuit added by my mod. It also requires you to access the diagnostic menu and activate the override function every time you turn the vehicle on which is a pain in the a$$.

I also experimented with modifying the firmware to edit or remove the "check surroundings" message superimposed on the backup camera input. I was able to find and edit the text strings in the loading.kwi file with a binary editor but I can't get the modified file to load completely in the NAV. I suspect that one or more of my changes broke a checksum digit or included one too many or too few characters which corrupted the database pointers. Anyway I am still working on it in hopes of finding a solution or inspiring someone to beat me to it.

While I am waiting I am able to enjoy movies and radio scanner traffic on my NAV, use all the functions while in motion, and modify other NAV behavior with my switch panel. It is pretty cool, can't wait to finish the full article with photos. Will share more soon.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts

You are just awesome!!! I have followed most of your mods and I am very impressed. You are doing what I only thought of doing. Keep it up. I look forward to your updates... Just Awesome!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
64 Posts

oh, man ... go, go, go!! you are going to get it, I can feel it!

And thanks, you are answering every question I've had so far about the speed pulse hack option, the firmware hack option, etc. great info!

·
Registered
102 Posts

Hey Wiley! I am totally impressed. Have you tried using a 556 dual timer to generate the 4 mph pulse and gate it out with the other side? Thanks for all the hard work, Keep it up.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Hey Wiley! I am totally impressed. Have you tried using a 556 dual timer to generate the 4 mph pulse and gate it out with the other side? Thanks for all the hard work, Keep it up.
I think it is more than timing, possibly a certain tone generation at a fixed or variable frequency which I suspect to be 1 khz based on some research I did. If you want to suggest a circuit diagram and parts source then I will build it and connect it up. I have been trying to find some documentation about the CAN network and speed pulse signal protocoal - I know it exists because other companies make speed pulse generators - just need to figure it out and then emulate a fixed speed of 4 or less. My spare time is tight so I could use some assistance from anyone with an electrical background.

·
Registered
5 Posts

One of the guys over at the Sienna forums found that his Nav system was receiving a speed signal from the CAN network of approx 1 Hz per MPH that the vehicle speed was. He is using a BASIC stamp with a program he wrote to output the signal for 1MPH by doing 100ms of 5 Vdc followed by 900ms of 0 Vdc.

The only possible problem that I could foresee with this (which is why I have not done it) is that the Nav unit does dead reckoning navigation so that it keeps up with where you are when you lose the GPS signal. It uses the vehicles speed and a gyro as inputs for the dead reckoning calculation.

I don't know if the new Nav units do the same thing. My experience is based on the 7006 in my 2005 Tundra.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

One of the guys over at the Sienna forums found that his Nav system was receiving a speed signal from the CAN network of approx 1 Hz per MPH that the vehicle speed was. He is using a BASIC stamp with a program he wrote to output the signal for 1MPH by doing 100ms of 5 Vdc followed by 900ms of 0 Vdc.

The only possible problem that I could foresee with this (which is why I have not done it) is that the Nav unit does dead reckoning navigation so that it keeps up with where you are when you lose the GPS signal. It uses the vehicles speed and a gyro as inputs for the dead reckoning calculation.

I don't know if the new Nav units do the same thing. My experience is based on the 7006 in my 2005 Tundra.
Thanks for the tip!

The hesitation that you mention wouldn't be a problem with my NAV mod because you can switch the override on or off with the toggle switch, so you could enable the functions when you need them and put the truck back into automatic mode when you don't. Best of both worlds. Personally I have run the truck for several days with the sensor disconnected and the GPS performed fine, as does my portable GPS mapping on the PDA which has no speed or vehicle sensors at all. In fact my handheld PDA calculates my actual speed to within +/- 2 mph of actual vehicle speed. Good enough for my needs...

If you can provide a link to the post on the Sienna forum where he details his circuit and parts then I will make it and try it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Have you concidered connecting a frequency meter up to the source while you are driving? I pick up my LTD on monday, and I will be looking into this myself, I am also very interested in finding a way to switch through the source button (steering wheel) I know that they have done this on 05 nav systems which seem to be similar in design.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Also, I was wondering when scrolling through SAT 1,2,3, do these not supply power out through certain pins to activate external devices?? such as XM module. If so it would be nice to use this power source to feed back in to the reverse circuit to automatically switch to video in sat 3 or whichever ?? what do you think ?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Have you concidered connecting a frequency meter up to the source while you are driving? I pick up my LTD on monday, and I will be looking into this myself, I am also very interested in finding a way to switch through the source button (steering wheel) I know that they have done this on 05 nav systems which seem to be similar in design.
I haven't metered the speed signal from the CAN network with anything other than a digital voltage meter. When the vehicle is stopped it emits a steady voltage which I duplicated but this is not enough. When in motion it emits a rapidly switching voltage which is probably a specific frequency that varies with the actual speed. If you find out how to duplicate it then let us know. My NAV mods are working perfectly for me as-is so I have moved on to other mods for now and will circle back to this eventually.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Also, I was wondering when scrolling through SAT 1,2,3, do these not supply power out through certain pins to activate external devices?? such as XM module. If so it would be nice to use this power source to feed back in to the reverse circuit to automatically switch to video in sat 3 or whichever ?? what do you think ?
It is possible but I think unlikely. The wiring diagrams don't show any outbound switched voltage, I haven't found any wires or pins or connectors to support this, and accessories like the backup camera are usually powered all the time when the ignition is switched on. I think the SAT and AUX switches just enable the input circuits within the NAV. Plus the toggle switches I used only cost $2 and they are more convenient inside the center console with all of my media center equipment so I only have to reach one place to control everything. If you find any better ideas that work please share for others to consider.

·
Registered
121 Posts

awesome, thanks for the info. I have a frequency meter, so I will try to measure it next week. I will be doing your MOD for sure, and I'm glad you had the balls to attempt it on your $3,500 head unit so chickens like me can follow! It will be a big hit watching DVD's towing the snowmobile race trailer out to the mountains!! I was hoping that the sat add on module had switched power .... I'm sure your correct that it is supplied via IGN.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Bow down, Wilee you are the man, I know a lot of us are singing your praises but let me be one to join the chorus. Thanks for the info and all the hard work. Keep it up, your hard work is greatly appreciated LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks for the tip!

The hesitation that you mention wouldn't be a problem with my NAV mod because you can switch the override on or off with the toggle switch, so you could enable the functions when you need them and put the truck back into automatic mode when you don't. Best of both worlds. Personally I have run the truck for several days with the sensor disconnected and the GPS performed fine, as does my portable GPS mapping on the PDA which has no speed or vehicle sensors at all. In fact my handheld PDA calculates my actual speed to within +/- 2 mph of actual vehicle speed. Good enough for my needs...

If you can provide a link to the post on the Sienna forum where he details his circuit and parts then I will make it and try it out.
2005 Full-Time Nav - No Mods - SiennaClub.org Forums

Here is the post where he talks about his solution. (Not sure if you have to login to SiennaClub or not. I have a free membership on the site just to get this kind of info.) You could probably PM him for any other details. If you have access to an oscilloscope, I think that would be your best bet to figure out what kind of signal you have to duplicate.

If you don't have access to one of those, I know that it is possible to build a buffer circuit so you could use the line input on a laptop to record the signal that the vehicle puts out and look at the waveform with a sound editing program. Just an idea... :)

Jon - kd7onc

·
Registered
184 Posts

Ok...... Wilee do you have anymore for sale or is your Last Batch all sold out.... please respond... Was going to build one but no time and not good with soldering !!!

Please respond if any left....

Robinson

·
Registered
433 Posts

Great information.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Ok...... Wilee do you have anymore for sale or is your Last Batch all sold out.... please respond... Was going to build one but no time and not good with soldering !!!

Please respond if any left....

Robinson
OK gang. I have made six batches now and all of them sold out quickly but a lot of orders have been coming in over the holiday break so I decided to make some more while I am on vacation. If you want to buy a speed pulse generator then just send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a payment invoice via email. I accept cash, check, money order, credit card, or debit card.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Wiley
Has anyone tried the PAC TR-7 module to simulate the speed wire yet?
Not as cheap as DIY but didn't think about it until I did the pop out tailgate mod.
I know this works on the Alpine units

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
36 Participants
mrawdtsi
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing