1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
waste of time if you ask me

·
Registered
366 Posts
bc i go all the time and never had any problems. know people who have had to leave there with mud up to the doors all day and even overnight with no problems. like i said waste of time to me, but be my guest if u want to. was just my opinion. its stupid to mud any vehicle if you dont expect to be fixing something. depending on how far the hose goes up, if it goes under water it fills up and will have water sitting in the hose until you take off the hose so worse off. if its the stock one the sec you get out of the water its fine.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
there is a step by step on this forum somewhere with part numbers from toyota that will fit right in there. i done it with my truck and the hose is up with the filler neck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Definately not a waste. For how easy it is do do, and how little it costs... sure beats rebuilding diffs!
Mostly for serious off roaders who spend lots of time in deep water/mud, the guys with snorkles.

That being said, I've never done it to any of my old 4x4s and I drove them hard off road. Had to replace the engine in my '86 4runner because I hydrolocked it in a creek crossing that was a little deeper than expected, and I fried the alternator in my '90 Hilux Surf from too many deep mud/water encounters... never pulled the diffs to check for water but I never noticed any problems.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
bc i go all the time and never had any problems. know people who have had to leave there with mud up to the doors all day and even overnight with no problems
How do they know they had no problems? Did the drain the fluid and check it? Same goes for you.

like i said waste of time to me, but be my guest if u want to. was just my opinion. its stupid to mud any vehicle if you dont expect to be fixing something
It costs probably no more than $15 to do this and it is preventative maintenance to keep from breaking. I will spend the money now to prevent it, rather than pay to fix a more major problem later.

depending on how far the hose goes up, if it goes under water it fills up and will have water sitting in the hose until you take off the hose so worse off. if its the stock one the sec you get out of the water its fine.
If its the stock one more water will already have entered in it. As soon as that warm diff hits the water, it cools down and contracts, sucking in water. If the same thing happened to a truck with this mod, it would contract and suck in air from a higher point.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It costs probably no more than $15 to do this and it is preventative maintenance to keep from breaking. I will spend the money now to prevent it, rather than pay to fix a more major problem later.
:tu::tu:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did mines today , took the toyota breather out and a blast of air came with it. The breather is plugged up with rust .

·
Registered
181 Posts
$15 fix sure beats a $1000 fix. Plus taking the breather out and installing that hose will help axle seals. Ive blown two axle seals because of the stupid breather rusting up and not opening. I now have a detriot locker, and 4.56s in a $1500 dollar marlin crawler thrid member and custom made yukon axle shafts and i'm not letting water getting inside a breather that sticks one inch out of the rearend ruin a $2000 dollar rear. Its kind of like insurance by doing this mod.:tu:

·
Registered
366 Posts
bc nobody i know has had to do anything with there rear differential. do the ****ing mod, props to you all i said is that its a waste of time TO ME. let the screw up my own dam truck if its soooo important to do this.... if it ever goes out ill be a man and say "apimpdad you were right" until then waste of money and time TO ME maybe not for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bc nobody i know has had to do anything with there rear differential. do the ****ing mod, props to you all i said is that its a waste of time TO ME. let the screw up my own dam truck if its soooo important to do this.... if it ever goes out ill be a man and say "apimpdad you were right" until then waste of money and time TO ME maybe not for you.

TO ME sounds like you want to do but dont know how

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Extended breathers are ANYTHING but a waste of time. I owned a jeep Wrangler and MANY Jeepers do the same mod. Keep the vent tube up high and it keeps the water out. Once someone takes their truck across water above the diff case and it fills with water, due to a frozen breather. Like someone else said, a $15 mod is way better than a $1000 repair.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
No need to get offensive. Just proving my point.

·
Registered
366 Posts
TO ME sounds like you want to do but dont know how
you got it right man i just cant fcking figure this sh*t out.... idk just way over my head. if only there was detailed step by step instructions to do this complicated process..... its my opinion its a forum get the hell over it

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I second that, I think somebody needs a nap.

My Jeep Rubicon has the rear breather run up by the fuel filler and the front is up in the top end of the engine compartment - and this was done at the factory. You want your breathers to be above any point that might get submerged in water.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
waste of time if you ask me
Definately not a waste. For how easy it is do do, and how little it costs... sure beats rebuilding diffs!
Mostly for serious off roaders who spend lots of time in deep water/mud, the guys with snorkles.

That being said, I've never done it to any of my old 4x4s and I drove them hard off road. Had to replace the engine in my '86 4runner because I hydrolocked it in a creek crossing that was a little deeper than expected, and I fried the alternator in my '90 Hilux Surf from too many deep mud/water encounters... never pulled the diffs to check for water but I never noticed any problems.
$15 fix sure beats a $1000 fix. Plus taking the breather out and installing that hose will help axle seals. Ive blown two axle seals because of the stupid breather rusting up and not opening. I now have a detriot locker, and 4.56s in a $1500 dollar marlin crawler thrid member and custom made yukon axle shafts and i'm not letting water getting inside a breather that sticks one inch out of the rearend ruin a $2000 dollar rear. Its kind of like insurance by doing this mod.:tu:
Took me about ten minutes to do this. Have not had an axle seal blow since. Totaled a rear end with a blown axle seal and did not even know my breather was missing until I went to do this mod. First change of differential oil says it all - see pic.

I do not off road and still would recommend this as the #1 inexpensive mod to do to preserve rear differential life to anybody.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts