Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
Got a good- running ‘05 DC 4.7 with 185 k on it. I know the timing belt hasn’t been changed, and it’s gonna have to get done- like now. I’m ‘in-between jobs’ now and am contemplating doing it myself... should I? Or spend the coin and make it my (very competent) mechanic’s problem? I’m sure there’s some threads someone could point me to. Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Better than pointing out those threads for you, i will show you how to search for yourself. Just above your thread is a box where you can type that says "Search Community" and has the magnifying glass beside it. Type whatever you want in there and hit enter on your keyboard. You can hit the advanced search if you want but I never find that is much better.

Below is the second thread that came up. Tons of links on this thread for kits and DIY videos. If you have more questions, ask in an existing thread first, you will get more responses from guys who have subscribed to these threads.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
I did mine several years ago when I was younger. As long as you have the tools and are mechanically inclined it's not a big problem. I'm 80 now and wouldn't attempt it now.

Larry

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did mine 3 years ago. Not bad, just takes a while. Here's a great video showing you how to do it:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Search as cheapskate suggested...
I did mine a few months ago and I am 74. The 1AAUTO You Tube Videos are great. The job can be done without removing the radiator but you will appreciate the extra space you get by removing it. Only tool I did buy was for removing that pulley nut. I tried the 2x4 tool method (in video) and just split the board. As I recall the a/c compressor just had to be loosened and the two front bolts removed to allow removal of the front cover... "as I remember"...
Suggestion; it is a good time to change the serpentine belt and radiator hoses while you got it apart. I used the Gates kit (water pump & pulleys included) from Rock Auto. Get all your parts and radiator fluids together before you tear into it. I viewed the videos several times and made myself a step by step list to follow (I am old) I also had several zip lock bags to place bolts in for each step, label them... Check and double check, especially the cam and crank pulley timing.
Took me two 5hour days and it started right up.... I enjoyed the new adventure, even at my age.
Love this truck! Chap

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Search as cheapskate suggested...
I did mine a few months ago and I am 74. The 1AAUTO You Tube Videos are great. The job can be done without removing the radiator but you will appreciate the extra space you get by removing it. Only tool I did buy was for removing that pulley nut. I tried the 2x4 tool method (in video) and just split the board. As I recall the a/c compressor just had to be loosened and the two front bolts removed to allow removal of the front cover... "as I remember"...
Suggestion; it is a good time to change the serpentine belt and radiator hoses while you got it apart. I used the Gates kit (water pump & pulleys included) from Rock Auto. Get all your parts and radiator fluids together before you tear into it. I viewed the videos several times and made myself a step by step list to follow (I am old) I also had several zip lock bags to place bolts in for each step, label them... Check and double check, especially the cam and crank pulley timing.
Took me two 5hour days and it started right up.... I enjoyed the new adventure, even at my age.
Love this truck! Chap
Ace.jpg

You're an ACE, Chappy ! Good job . . . :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts