Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes in the winter, first thing in the morning, it used to be very difficult to get my 2003 Tundra to shift out of park. Some days it was so bad I was surprised something did not break under my force. Originally, the dealer tried to clean up some of the rust on the cable but that solution did not last long. I promised myself before winter set in again, I would replace the cable.

Attached is my DIY on how to get the job done. I put a lot of detail into this so even an inexperienced mechanic like me should be able to complete this project.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good writeup. Be sure to report back as to whether or not this (permanently) fixed the problem.
Winter is now half over and I have not had a single problem with the shift cable no matter what the weather is. This appears to be an easy and reliable fix for anyone having trouble shifting their Tundra into gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke too soon about this problem being resolved.

Winter just refuses to go away this year. Lately, we have had a fair amount of rain and temperatures in the 30's. The combination of moisture in the air and cold temperatures seems to make shifting into drive really stiff. I do not think it is as bad as it was before I replaced the cable but it is definitely abnormally stiff. I really do not know what the problem is. It might be noteworthy to add that I always park my Tundra outside and we have a cement driveway. Hopefully, by refreshing this thread, somebody will see it again and no the answer. In the meantime, I will wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to replace my shift cable assembly but can’t find any tutorials online. This original poster made a write up with pics but for some reason I can’t view it. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to replace my shift cable assembly but can’t find any tutorials online. This original poster made a write up with pics but for some reason I can’t view it. Can anyone help?
Make sure you are opening the link with a computer that can view a pdf. file. If you are using a phone, that could be the problem. The link works fine for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes in the winter, first thing in the morning, it used to be very difficult to get my 2003 Tundra to shift out of park. Some days it was so bad I was surprised something did not break under my force. Originally, the dealer tried to clean up some of the rust on the cable but that solution did not last long. I promised myself before winter set in again, I would replace the cable.

Attached is my DIY on how to get the job done. I put a lot of detail into this so even an inexperienced mechanic like me should be able to complete this project.
My cable snapped at the shift linkage. Really grateful for this comprehensive write-up. Thank so very much for having taken the time to do this. 3 hrs for me, too. Much of it on that damned bracket off the bell housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
blumarlinstep04
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing